Who is your favorite or least favorite holster maker?

PDA

Safety First
January 15, 2003, 08:56 PM
Tell me who you like best or least and why??

If you enjoyed reading about "Who is your favorite or least favorite holster maker?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Parke1
January 15, 2003, 09:48 PM
Well, seeing as I don't have a ton of experience with holster makers, I'll have to vote for the one manufacturer that I always order from... Don Hume. The price is always right, and the holsters always have great fit and finish.

For the money, I'd say they're pretty hard to beat!

-Parke1

Jesse H
January 15, 2003, 10:13 PM
My first holster was a blade-tech. Got spoiled by how fast and slick the draw is. Then I went with a Waldon leather holster. Absolutely love the fit and finish. Just ordered a Hume for another gun, we'll see how it is when it arrives.

txgolfer45
January 15, 2003, 10:15 PM
I like Comp-Tac. They make excellent kydex holsters and mag holders. Good selection of models for a wide variety of handguns.

Scott

Carlos
January 15, 2003, 10:24 PM
My favorite holster is my Galco Jackass Rig. Nicely built and comfortable. I own several other Galco holsters.

I have a Bianchi shoulder rig for my PA-63, but not nearly as comfy as the Galco.

I have a Bladetech and like it, except for concealment. Just don't work.

I've used Fobus paddle holsters and liked em.

Uncle Mike stuff is too cheap for me. Got a few of them around here too.

I have a Graham's Custom IWB coming in a couple of weeks for my M40. Can't wait. Price is right and the work is impeccable.

Cheers

4v50 Gary
January 15, 2003, 10:30 PM
Safariiland - good design, but I hate pleather.

Bob Locke
January 15, 2003, 11:03 PM
I'm gonna second Comp-Tac. I like Kydex, and I never thought I ever be able to realisitically carry my Glock 21 concealed until I was pointed towards their Shirt Tucker model. Now, I can!

Kcustom45
January 15, 2003, 11:35 PM
I absolutely love my Milt Sparks IWB Holster. I tend to a little rough on my equipment, and it has stood up to everything I have put it through. It is comfortable to wear all day, even with a heavy 1911 in it. It is an all around great holster. I also have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle holster that isn't that bad, but I never got used to it. I might have been able to if I had played around with it a little more, but...

Monkeyleg
January 16, 2003, 12:03 AM
Don't have a lot of experience with holster-makers, but I've been very happy with my Mitch Rosen ARG IWB holster. The Safariland shoulder rig I got for my S&W 586 was a joke; I've gotten better holsters from costume shops for Halloween. It's a toy.

And Uncle Mikes? Fuhgetaboutit.

perry
January 16, 2003, 12:35 AM
Galco is my personal favorite and side armour is a over priced joke.

Jeff OTMG
January 16, 2003, 01:07 AM
Different holster makers have different holsters and depending on the gun or how I want to carry it may dictate the maker. Lou Alessi makes a great ankle holster, xdraw, belt slide, and pocket holster. Tony Kanaly (Milt Sparks) makes one of my favorite pancakes. Ken Campbell makes a super IWB. Kramer and a couple of others make my favorite type of Vertical Scabbard. As far as who I don't like, as a person Gene Desantis, he also is mass producer so shouldn't really be included. Jim Murnak an I had a run in a few years ago and although he might make a good product, I was not impressed with his product nor demeanor. Last would be Mitch Rosen. Pretty full of himself and don't ever have an H&K P7 holster made by him. Again, these are all personal so you might have had different experiences.

rock jock
January 16, 2003, 01:08 AM
Actually, I think SideArmor is the best plastic holster on the market. Bladetech is also quite good.

dude
January 16, 2003, 01:19 AM
I always have had great service and products from Galco.

--least favorite would be my recent expierence with Bladetech. A good product at a fair price but the deceptive advertising & sales policy, along with the long amount of time it took to recieve the product will cause me to look somewheres else next time for a simular holster.

Fed168
January 16, 2003, 01:24 AM
Wild Bill's is the only person I will go to for leather. If I want nylon, Bianchi, duty, Safariland.

craigz
January 16, 2003, 01:31 AM
All my carry holsters are made by Andy Arratoonian at Horseshoe Leather Products (http://www.horseshoe.co.uk). They're the best I've ever used.

Traveler
January 16, 2003, 02:09 AM
For leather I like Kramer, Alfonso's, and Safariland. It really depends on the application. For kydex it's Blade-Tech.

Maddock
January 16, 2003, 02:32 AM
I've had nothing but good experiences with Sparks. I also think highly of my Kramer pocket holsters. For ankle holsters for small revolvers, nothing I've tried beats a Renegade.

Byron Quick
January 16, 2003, 03:48 AM
Galco, Andrews Leather, and Kramer.

faustulus
January 16, 2003, 04:20 AM
Two personal favorites are Josh Bulman of Bulman Gunleather and Mitch Rosen. I have gone through a lot of holsters from a lot of different makers and I think these two are the best. Their attention to detail is unsurpassed. The ARG and AWIB are probably the best designed IWB in the business. They are worth every penny.

Kahr carrier
January 16, 2003, 05:27 AM
Kramer great workmanship ,but pricey.

rick458
January 16, 2003, 07:28 AM
My favorite is a Sparks VersaMax 2 then my Wilson Covert companion, I have tried some Bianchi holsters (lower end stuff)
and was not too happy with them and I will be getting an Alessi
CQC 2 to go on and off easily in a month or two:)

killjoy
January 16, 2003, 07:59 AM
for leather it's Rafters

cordex
January 16, 2003, 10:32 AM
favorite:
Milt Sparks

least favorite:
don't have one ... even the cheap-o Uncle Mikes have their place, and it's nice to be able to pick up a cheap holster to carry your new gun with until you can decide on better equipment.

If there's a holster manufacturer out there who hypes his stuff, charges a lot and delivers a shoddy product, they'd be my least favorite, but I haven't run into one matching that description yet.

Hey Kcustom45 ... you wanna tell the nice ladies and gentlefolks what you did with your kydex holster? (It's a dandy idea, in my opinion)

Intune
January 16, 2003, 11:26 AM
Have Kramer for IWB (G27,Double Eagle) Great product, I like horsehide. Sorry Trigger. )) Lou Alessi makes the best ankle holster out there and is a great guy to boot. Snowin' here in Nashville, 1-3" expected. That will shut this place down. Plow? What's that?

Oleg Volk
January 16, 2003, 11:58 AM
Favorite:
Alessi, for making large guns comfortable to carry. great guy, too.
Jason and rhendley, for making great P32 holsters. (http://www.a-human-right.com/p32/chromed.html)
Madmike, for making a great holster for a NAA Black Widow right in front of my eyes.
Scott Evans (G-Code) for making comfortable kydexwear.
Acker -- the best paddle design, doesn't slide sideways.

Least favorite:
Uncle Mike's - no retention, had guns sail out of IWB holsters when I ran.

Average: Sidearmor -- good service, well-made product but hard IWB is not comfortable.
Fobus: decent retention but paddle slides sideways at the slightest provocation.

MarineTech
January 16, 2003, 12:01 PM
My 2 favorites have to be Milt Sparks and Ken Null. Both make excellent products that last.

I recommend them both very highly.

Felonious Monk
January 16, 2003, 02:43 PM
3 Greats (best combination of Value and Quality):

1) Ron Graham (http://www.grahamscustomgunleather.bigstep.com/)
2) Don Hume (http://www.donhume.com/holsterchart.html)
3) RJ Hedley (http://www.hedleyholsters.com/) (for pocket holsters for my mouseguns)

I own lots of others, from Uncle Mike's to Mitch Rosens, but those 3 are the highest quality at the most reasonable prices I've found.

P.S. a shout out to StellarRigs (http://www.stellarrigs.com) for a great kydex pocket holster!

dairycreek
January 16, 2003, 03:03 PM
I have a half dozen of them now. Each is made for a different gun in my collection. Each holster has been a quality item at an extremely fair price. If you want something special talk to Jim Murnak who is the head guy there. He is knowledgeable and patient - a nice guy. Good shooting:)

Kentucky Rifle
January 16, 2003, 08:30 PM
GREAT~~
RJ Hedley: Fine pocket holsters, first class customer service, great value.

Rafter Leather: Wonderful shark skin & other "exotic material" belt holsters.

Ron Graham: Ditto on the shark skin belt holsters. Made me a perfectly balanced holster for my P22 that I don't even have to wear my gunbelt with.

BAD~~
Uncle Mikes

Blackhawk
January 16, 2003, 08:39 PM
My favorite is RJ Hedley. He's one of us, he does great work, his customers are unfailingly enthusiastic about his work, he WILL make you happy with his products, and he's a great guy in his own right.

I'm not going to name a least favorite. We all have our problems in whatever we do.

PeacefulWarrior
January 16, 2003, 08:46 PM
I have had good experiences with HighNoon holsters. The sent me a holster in 3 days to New Mexico (and they are in FL)

I also like Milt Sparks but it takes a little longer to get their product.

shootingfarm
January 16, 2003, 08:47 PM
Milt Spark's and Tucker are my favorite's, very high quality and nice people to do business with.

Paul

CoolBreeze
January 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
Leather: Ken L. Null, Resaca, GA.
Both pistols and revolvers
These are top quality!!

Plastic: Sidearmor. Pistols

Beer for my Horses
January 16, 2003, 10:01 PM
My favorite holster is a Milt Sparks IWB Versa Max. However, because of carry restrictions/habits, I wear a Kramer Paddle Holster most often. Both companies make excellent leather holsters.

I even like the cheapo ($25) Fobus Kydex paddle holster for my Glock 17 that I bought at Glockmeister and is issued to Israel's military.

Mike Weber
January 16, 2003, 11:08 PM
I happen to be my favorite holster maker.
Cap and ball holsters (http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1385325)

Full Flap Crossdraw for 1851 Navy (http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1385326)

Ammo Wallet And Buscadero Rig (http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1385604)
I make All of my own holsters.

Pointman
January 16, 2003, 11:21 PM
Safariland paddles. I have one for every pistol I own. Used with Galco open top dual mag pouches.

And the Galco Miami Classic's.

Dislike anything with Uncle in the name.... MY uncle doesn't let HIS weapon fall out at random..... :eek:

Ed Brunner
January 16, 2003, 11:57 PM
Nice Work.
I'm impressed.

Mike Weber
January 17, 2003, 01:12 AM
Thanks Ed:
Its more of a hobby for me, saves me money so I can buy more cowboy guns.

MountainPeak
January 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
I'll ditto "rock jock" on Sidearmor being the best plastic. I'm all over the board when it comes to leather ones.

Beer for my Horses
January 17, 2003, 10:35 PM
I must ditto the Safariland holsters as well, especially for open/LEO carry the SLS models with the "hood" retention system.

Dr.Rob
January 17, 2003, 11:54 PM
Best Western/Utility holsters:

http://www.gunfighter.com/trailrider/tr_holster.html

I've been using my 1873 pattern holster for my vaquero for years.. truly well made, well crafted stuff.

Fave competion/cocealed holster: Galco G-Slide, fits my 1911's and 1935 Hi-power good retention though I wish it had a tension screw.

Worst holster: 1911 Gov. style flap holster. Never a comfy way to wear it, on the hangers it flops around, through the slots and its too tight to the body.

Ditto for my 1917 pattern revolver holster, though its about the only one I could find to FIT that big ol' new service.

KMKeller
January 18, 2003, 12:15 AM
I'm kinda spoiled. I love Mitch Rosen's leather work. His holsters have always been top notch. For kydex, I'd have to say Blade-Tech takes top honors in my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who is your favorite or least favorite holster maker?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!