Depriming pin is supposed to be centered right?

PDA

Lucky Strike
January 5, 2009, 11:57 AM
Just getting into reloading (still accumulating the hardware) and just got my first set of dies from the UPS guy here at work.

Got .223 and .45acp 3 die dillon sets. The depriming pin on the .223 sizing die though isn't centered. Is this something that is easy to fix or is something wrong with my die and do i need to call Dillon? The pin is centered on the .45 die

Maybe it says something in the instructions (being a guy I haven't read them yet ;) ). Just thought i'd throw the question out here on THR.

If you enjoyed reading about "Depriming pin is supposed to be centered right?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
January 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
It should be centered. Try loosening and retightening the spindle and see if that helps.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rcmodel
January 5, 2009, 12:28 PM
Oh come on!
Man up and read the instructions.
Some of had to do it, at some point in time, in order to answer your questions. ;)

Loosen the lock nut on the thing and wiggle it around then tighten it again.
Better?

To properly center the rod, back it out and run a case into the die, then screw the rod in while feeling around for the flash hole.

Keep going until the primer pops out, then give it another 1/2 turn.
Now, lock down the lock-nut with the pin still in the flash hole.

That takes out all the thread slack & wobble and keeps it centered when the nut is tightened.

If it is still off-center, the rod must be bent.

rcmodel

fguffey
January 5, 2009, 01:17 PM
Lucky Strike, the decapping assembly should be centered, the decapping assembly should not be bent, if the dies are used, I would suggest cleaning, while you have them apart check run-out to determine if the assembly is bent, if so replace.

To try and straighten does not work, when the assembly bent, one side compressed, the other side fractured, the assembly is not elastic without heat.

F. Guffey

Walkalong
January 5, 2009, 02:23 PM
If the spindle is bent a bit it will straighten out. Nothing has shattered. It's not that hard a material. They don't have to be exactly dead center, just real close. I have a couple that are a hair off center and they work fine.

There is a good bit of slop in a lot of them, and adjusting it will probably work.

Lucky Strike
January 5, 2009, 03:21 PM
thanks for the suggestions...i'll try some of this stuff when i get home

BornAgainBullseye
January 5, 2009, 09:03 PM
like RC said. I figured this out on my own after reading the instructions 5 times. I just did the most logical thing to do. Loosen the nut and back out the de capper all the way. Run a case up the die and adjust the thing until it toughes. give it a turn and poop... out comes the spent primer. loosen it up with the case still up in the die and re tighten. the de capper will center itself in the flash hole.

351 WINCHESTER
January 5, 2009, 10:04 PM
Men don't read instructions. It's just our nature.

If you enjoyed reading about "Depriming pin is supposed to be centered right?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!