Best Non Lead Deer Bullet

PDA

Jerry D
January 5, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm shooting a .30-06 and I am looking for good quality non lead bullets for deer hunting. I just watched a study on youtube that consisted of 3 parts and it was actually really well done. It is titled "Copper vs Lead Bullet Study pt 1"

Normally I see the copper bullets advertised as controlled expansion and deep penetrating which isn't really that effective for deer...

Now my grandfather has been eating wild game harvested with lead for his entire life and hes doing fine so how much lead consumption exactly is required to cause harm to say a 150 pound 5'8" sized person? Is it so much that we need to stop using lead? Probably not...

I know a lot of Romans died due to drinking water that had travelled through lead pipes.

Anyhow - I have been using lead bullets and probably will continue to do so as they work well, but if non lead bullets work better or just as good, why not switch?

If you have any recommendations then of a non lead bullet for good sized deer it would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Non Lead Deer Bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
January 5, 2009, 01:42 PM
Barnes 168 grain TSX.

rcmodel
January 5, 2009, 02:06 PM
The only thing I have seen concerning lead hunting bullets and lead in deer meat was released last year.
It concerned venison donated to some poverty program in a Michigan inner-city, or some godforsaken place.

The study was funded by some Tree-Hugger group that was against hunting, against eating Bambi, against hunters in general, against hunters getting good press by donating meat to the poor, and against anyone who drove a pick-up truck to get it there!

In all honesty, a jacketed bullet passing through a deer would leave so little lead in the edible meat as to be unmeasurable.

Any lead fragments from a blown-up bullet would be left in the gut pile along with the shot-up heart & lungs.

Then later, most folks trim out the blood-shot meat & toss it anyway when cutting up the deer for the freezer.

Bottom line?
It is a non-issue.

rc

30Cal
January 5, 2009, 02:13 PM
The only thing I have seen concerning lead hunting bullets and lead in deer meat was released last year.
It concerned venison donated to some poverty program in Michigan inner-city, or some godforsaken place.

The study was funded by some Tree-Hugger group that was against hunting, against eating Bambi, against hunters in general, against anyone getting good press by donating meat to the poor, and against anyone who drove a pick-up truck to get there!

The CDC study found no links between lead bullets and lead poisoning a couple weeks back.

rcmodel
January 5, 2009, 02:55 PM
Exactly!

rcmodel

GregZ
January 5, 2009, 03:49 PM
Sierra Gameking 165 gr bthp

jerkface11
January 5, 2009, 04:09 PM
Unless you're in California you might as well use a lead core bullet.

rfwobbly
January 5, 2009, 05:17 PM
RC is correct. The whole "lead in the meat" thing was totally debunked a month or so ago by very credible sources. That being said, there are still answers for you...

• Barnes, as was mentioned above, makes a terrific bullet for stopping game. It releases no lead because it contains no lead. The all copper bullet mushrooms like crazy, without fragmenting. Do some web research on Barnes, you'll see some great reviews.

• All your better name brand hunting bullets have been working on the issue of locking the lead core into the copper jacket for decades. You should have very nearly zero issues if you stay with names like Hornady, Sierra and a couple of others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Non Lead Deer Bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!