Air rifle barrel length

PDA

22lr
January 5, 2009, 05:08 PM
I understand that air rifles are not considered firearms. So could I cut the barrel on mine to below 16 inch's? Ive got an old one that Id like to make into a project but I cant seem to find anything about cutting the barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Air rifle barrel length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 5, 2009, 05:14 PM
No law against it.

But, if it is a spring-piston type gun, shortening the barrel might change the timing (pellet dwell time in the bore) to where the piston slams into the end of the receiver much harder then normal.

Which will quickly ruin the piston seal.

rcmodel

22lr
January 5, 2009, 05:20 PM
Ahh I didn't think about that really, but its a cheap (really cheap) gun so I might give it a try and see what happens.

WardenWolf
January 5, 2009, 05:37 PM
Keep in mind that the barrels usually have a shroud around them that's hollow. You'll need to save the endcap from the current barrel tip to stabilize it.

Impureclient
January 7, 2009, 08:48 AM
It's done all the time. You have to do more work than just cutting it off though. I believe you have to rechoke and crown it afterwards. Otherwise accuracy will be off. Look at
http://www.network54.com/Forum/184474/ and do a search on shortening/cutting barrel down. It comes up often and several guys on there know how to do it correctly.

zombienerd
January 7, 2009, 10:36 AM
I had a friend of mine growing up who sawed off a Powermaster 66, kept it in his truck next to his seat, pumped up about 25 times, pellet in chamber, safety on...

He cut the barrel pretty short, it was about an inch past the end of the pump action, and he did have to JB weld the end of the original shroud to the end of the "new" barrel so it shot straight...

He actually used it to fend off a carjacker once... shot the guy in the chest with it, and the guy doubled over as he drove off... He didn't look back to see if the guy was chasing him or not. .177 point blank at 600ish FPS (maybe a bit more) will definitely leave a mark :D

He fired it all the time, and it worked like a champ, just not that accurate at more than say 10m

rabidgoldfish
January 7, 2009, 11:23 AM
You could even build a MG, hence the Drozid.

tallpines
January 7, 2009, 11:59 AM
But, if it is a spring-piston type gun, shortening the barrel might change the timing (pellet dwell time in the bore) to where the piston slams into the end of the receiver much harder then normal.

Don't forget it will also make it harder to cock.

22lr
January 7, 2009, 12:28 PM
I took my dremel with a metal cutting bit to it:evil:. Then hocked up a grinder and smoothed the cut, and then took a shaped grinder and even gave it a nice little crown (I actually got it rather even).
Looks good and still shoots as good as it did. It is supposed to shoot 900FPS (not sure if it really does) but im assuming it lost a little speed in the chop off.

BTW: this is one of those $20 dollar Chinese guns so it is my test bed for all things experimental, before I do them on a real gun (have no fear I have no desire to start cutting other barrels).

Lochson
February 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
No law against it.

Which will quickly ruin the piston seal.

rcmodel
I am glad I kept researching the idea of shortening the barrel on my rws 54. My reason was to shorten the dwell time of the pellet to increase accuracy off hand. I had not taken into account the need for the back pressure to help cushion the piston in some way.
I kept thinking that manufacturers would use the shortest length of barrel possible from a cost stand point.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Air rifle barrel length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!