Which Bushmaster ARs are New Jersey legal?

PDA

JDNJ1985
January 5, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the multitude of rifles that Bushmaster has to offer. I need to know which are NJ legal.

I'm looking for something similar to an M4 carbine.

Cheers guys,

-Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Bushmaster ARs are New Jersey legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
everallm
January 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
Normally I would say that the only banned AR weapons in NJ are COLT AR-15 or CAR-15 rifles. However the statute does name "Bushmaster Assault Rifle". That may or may not include Bushies current weapons as the statute is word literal and Bushmaster has dealers in state.....

http://www.bushmaster.com/dealerlookup.asp

Suggest you call Bushmaster or call one of their local dealers.

Assuming no issues then just the usual fun and games with NJ.

Must have a FID
No less than a 16" barrel,
Rifle overall length no less than 26"
Muzzle brake not flash hider
No collapsible or foldable stock
Magazines restricted to 15 rounds (only people I am aware of who actually carry 15 round AR mags are http://www.arms-n-ammo.com/ ans they seem to be closed for January)

rscalzo
January 6, 2009, 11:48 AM
NJ allows what was called the Post Ban. Muzzle Breaks are ok, flash hiders, No. Pinned stock are required. The ten round magazines are most used in NJ sales and would most likely be shipped with one.

Why limit to Bushmaster? Rock river makes post ban models although like other the delivery times are up. Try contacting www.ar15sales.com. Pete can ship a post ban model to a FFL in NJ.

ammoeater
January 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
Joe,

This is the closest M4-type Bushy that is NJ legal.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp

Where in NJ are you? Tips Hardware in West Creek (Ocean County) is where I bought mine. Great people to work with, and reasonable prices. PM me if you want their contact info...

gmark340
January 6, 2009, 06:42 PM
There are probably a number of large retailers who could answer that question. This is one that caters to police as well as civilians:
Ray's Sport Shop
559 US Highway 22
North Plainfield, NJ 07060
908-561-4400
They carry a large stock so I would expect them to carry whatever is legal. You could go in and take a look if the store is convenient. You may be able to get them on the phone if not but oftentimes they are busy and you may not get a lot of attention that way.

JDNJ1985
January 6, 2009, 09:04 PM
Fellas,

Thanks for all the info! I dug a bit more and realized it's as simple as following the same rules I did when I converted my Saiga.

Cheers for the links. Is the RRA stuff manufactured from mixed parts? Or do they manufacture their own?

I'm unsure which are better quality, Buchmaster or RRA. Opinions are welcome!

Meltzer's near me carries some Bushmasters and Colts, I'm unsure of the models though. Maybe I will check out Ray's.

-Joe

dcal
January 6, 2009, 10:01 PM
Ray's has closed. I heard they would be open only to clear out inventory, but I would call first before heading over there.

rscalzo
January 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
Ray's Sport Shop
559 US Highway 22
North Plainfield, NJ 07060

You're a little late. Ray's closed weeks ago. By now it is probably an empty lot. they were tearing down the building.

JDNJ1985
January 6, 2009, 11:04 PM
Oh wow, thanks for the update! Haha. I will most likely consult Meltzer's and see what they have in stock.

Cheers

-Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Bushmaster ARs are New Jersey legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!