Tarnation!

PDA

Dr.Rob
September 25, 2003, 07:53 PM
OK, yesterday I get out my 1851 Signature Series Colt Navy to show it off and GASP! Its got specks and drips of tarnish on the triggerguard and backstrap (silver plated).

It looks like some of the BP solvent or oil ended up on the sliver parts. I got most of it off with some silver polish (and man I polished for an HOUR) Now I've got shinier spots where I polished hard, and still have a few pin points of black tarnish. There is no roughness so it's not flaking.

Any suggestions??

I'm debating taking the frame parts to a jeweler or trying one of those sonic jewelry cleaners. Before I shell out more $$ what can I do??

Any of you with silver-plated pistols speak up!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tarnation!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
September 25, 2003, 09:17 PM
It's a little late to tell you this, but silver is very soft and hand-rubbing with abrasive polishes usually burnish it, and unless you do all of the surfaces you get a bright-and-satin look like you described. It's also not hard to go through the thin silver to the brass underneath it. The better way is to remove the parts and soak them in a silver polish solution made for the purpose. When clean give them a good coat of wax to prevent future discoloration.

Standing Wolf
September 25, 2003, 10:52 PM
When clean give them a good coat of wax to prevent future discoloration.

Wax or clear lacquer.

JCM298
September 25, 2003, 10:54 PM
I use Renaissance Wax on all my guns:

http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/RenWax.html

John

sm
September 25, 2003, 11:05 PM
Caveat on the ultrasonic cleaners, many use an ammonia base solution. Heck I use to buy 28% ammonia and dilute. ( outside with a mask for sure).
I went to Simple Green later on for most needs. Those cleaners will loosen stuff and one is not supposed to let the items "ride" on the bottom...suspend instead.

Ok, now try Simichrome Polish by Happich. Been using for , well grew up with it lets say. Used on gold, silver, plat., brass , silver...

Never used Flitz but once, Simichrome been around a long time and I found it to be best. Old time hardware store about $5 , little goes a long way.

Good luck.

4v50 Gary
September 25, 2003, 11:20 PM
Anuder vote for it. It was developed by the British Museum, is PH neutral, and is used by museums worldwide.

BluesBear
September 26, 2003, 02:34 AM
Be VERY careful of ultrasonic (U-S) cleaners on anything that is silver (or gold) plated! Especially with ammonia based cleaners the plating will start to disappear fromm the edges and then go from there.

I worked in a pawn shop years ago and we always had to be careful of pleted jewelry. The easiest to mess up were sterling silver necklaces and charms. May of those are Rhodium plated to stay shiny and the U-S will just eat the plating right off leaving the bare sterling to tarnish.

Larry Ashcraft
September 26, 2003, 03:25 PM
Dr.Rob, if it's not too late, go to A-1 Custom trophies in Westminster and buy a small bottle of AwardGlo. Its the best dang polish you've ever seen. Tell them Larry from the Trophy Shop in Pueblo sent you.

Dr.Rob
September 26, 2003, 04:10 PM
Larry, thanks!

Larry Ashcraft
September 26, 2003, 06:29 PM
Call them first though, I know they used to carry it. If not, I can order you some.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tarnation!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!