Locked Thread: Mod help

PDA

nutter
January 6, 2009, 01:57 PM
I saw this thread locked:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.phph?t=418032

Why was it locked?

The stated reason was "yet another news story about someone being shot." And yet threads like this one (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=417972) are allowed to remain open. What is the reason for the double standard?

Is it because a police officer was involved? I'm rather interested in discussion on the incident in the thread as it happened in my neighborhood. In fact, I passed by the site of the shooting mere hours later. In this locality there is no CCW, the "police officer" wasn't a city cop, or county, or state, but was private security for the transit organization with peace officer status, and there were dozens of witnesses to the shooting of an unarmed and possibly restrained person.

In my opinion the incident can lead to a good discussion of use of force, importance of CCW, responsibility of carrying, and crimes committed by police officers.

But no, cops shoots black guy, lock the thread 'cuz who cares.

I'd appreciate if the mods could give some reasoning for why this thread was locked and not other threads that are nothing more than "yet another news story about someone being shot."

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Locked Thread: Mod help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nutter
January 6, 2009, 02:03 PM
OK, I see the thread I used as an example has now been locked. It took me all of 10 seconds to find another example:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=417096

Can we assume other threads about shootings are open, and go from there?

hso
January 6, 2009, 04:03 PM
It comes to a question of whether the posting has anything of real relevance to gun-owners.

The post about the shooting by the transit authority officer was posted as a cop murders unarmed man crime story. The officer had an ND or intentionally shot a suspect under control. There's nothing in there that said anything we can learn from.

The "kid shoots baby sitter" discussion had several issues related to securing firearms around children and how a child may or may not be able to access and misuse such a firearm. Those are of serious general interest to folks with kids.

The reinactor story will probably end up locked as it will inevitably fall apart, but right now discussions of reinactors and their firearms, alcohol and guns, responsible gun-owner behavior all come to mind for that thread.

The only gun involved in the BART shooting was in the hands of the officer. What are we to discuss or learn from there?

nutter
January 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the response hso.

So if framed in a way that will generate gun-themed discussion, the thread could come back?

I'm probably unduly sensitive to this story since it happened around the corner from me.

hso
January 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
The only way I can think of it being relevant is an assumption that the BART officer had an ND due to sympathetic grasping response reaching for the citizen. We had a more dramatic incident of a similar incident here years ago where an officer in a foot chase caught up to the woman that was fleeing and reached to grab her with his free hand. He unintentionally fired his Glock when he did this, killing her. Gaston Glock even came to the internal hearings as well as the FBI's weapons experts since the PD wanted to blame the gun for a failure instead of the possibility that the officer unintentionally pulled the trigger. There was nothing wrong with the gun and the department changed it's training to instruct officers to keep their weapon holstered while in a foot chase to avoid the automatic grasping motion that can occur in such a chase.

In a situation like this there's not much to be learned starting out saying unarmed A was murdered by LE B.

If you enjoyed reading about "Locked Thread: Mod help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!