Henry Big Boy 45 loads

PDA

jharper
January 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm looking at buying a Henry big boy in 45 LC. I don't find much info for rifle loads in the 45. Would the Henry rifle be considered stronger than any pistol? Would it be safe to shoot +P loads in this rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "Henry Big Boy 45 loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
No, certainly not stronger then any pistol.

No conventional lever-action is as strong as the strongest Magnum revolver designs, or single-shots, due to the way the bolt locks shut, and the amount of case exposed at the extractor.

I don't have any information on the Henry Big-Boy as to whether it will handle +P loads or not.

However, since they also chamber it in .44 Magnum, (36,000 CUP) I think we can assume it would be safe with +P .45 Colt. (25,000 CUP)

However, the best thing to do would be to call Henry and ask them.

rcmodel

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
January 6, 2009, 06:34 PM
I posted a while back asking about the 1860 model using 45+p and was told that it wasn't recommended in brass frames but this is the internet and the only ones I would actually trust would be the company.

rcmodel
January 6, 2009, 06:56 PM
They certainly would not be suitable in brass receivers or frames.

However, I don't believe the Henry is a brass receiver, so much as a brass plated or covered receiver.

With that said, I know exactly nothing about the Henry Big Boy, except it handles the .44 Magnum at a third more pressure then +P .45 Colt.

And again, I suggest you call them and ask them.

rcmodel

archer2500
April 5, 2010, 12:31 PM
I have a Henry Big Boy in .45LC and it IS indeed a forged Brass receiver and I was wondering the same thing this thread is the subject of. I just called Henry Arms and they said without a doubt that the Henry can handle 'hot' loads, and the .45LC+P is no problem for their Brass receivers.

jmortimer
April 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
It is not "brass" it is a "brass alloy" - very strong. You should be able to use the "Ruger Only Loads"

TexasPatriot.308
April 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
I agree with Archer, I called and actually talked to the someone on the phone and they said it would handle "hot loads"

If you enjoyed reading about "Henry Big Boy 45 loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!