12 Grit or 24 Grit Walnut?

PDA

ulflyer
January 6, 2009, 03:55 PM
Harbor Freight has both but I don't have the foggiest as to which would be best in a vibrator tumbler. I use walnut now, it seems fairly fine, and it cleans and gives a satisfactory shine but have no idea of "grit" size as it was bought from a seller at a gun show. I clean only handgun cases: 38, 45 acp, 45 colt. Which would be best?

If you enjoyed reading about "12 Grit or 24 Grit Walnut?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
January 6, 2009, 05:16 PM
WHOOPS, Wrong place..... :o

Steve C
January 6, 2009, 09:18 PM
The finer grit (24) would give you a better polish and should work faster on cases that are once fired since new or the last cleaning than the larger grit (12) which may be better for initial cleaning on really dirty cases picked up at the range after lying on the ground for days. I use walnut bedding material from the pet store and prefer the fine ground to the coarser ground.

ulflyer
January 7, 2009, 08:05 AM
Steve; thanks. If I can only remember to chek out the pet store when I'm near one. Theres a couple of in Winston-Salem..Pet Smart and one other. :)

Matt-J2
January 7, 2009, 09:12 AM
It's good stuff, in the reptile section. Think the brand names is 'Zilla' or something of the sort.

38 Super Auto
January 7, 2009, 10:24 AM
Uflyer,

I bought the 12 grit at harbor freight. It is the same size as the stuff I had been getting at shows. It's a good value at $1/lb.

rob

rondog
January 7, 2009, 01:55 PM
I just bought a 25# bag of ground walnut lizard litter at PetSmart for $20. Kaytee brand, works great! I prefer to use it dry, then follow with another tumbling using corncob with Nufinish car polish in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "12 Grit or 24 Grit Walnut?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!