Marlin Model 60 at Wal-Mart?

PDA

REAPER4206969
January 6, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hello, I am thinking about buying a model 60 for $147 at Wal-Mart. It is the blued and wood model. What do you all think about the rifle and the price?
Thank you!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Model 60 at Wal-Mart?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNTFW
January 6, 2009, 04:59 PM
What are wanting to use it for?

I have one that is SS. Nice rifle. I really enjoy mine. Mine had a good trigger with no modificatons.
Not the easiest action to clean. I would give it higher accuracy than a 10/22 out of the box & that is almost splitting hairs. I compare it to the 10/22 because that is also very common.
The 10/22 is easier to clean the action. I scoped the Marlin because I hated the sights & didn't have a scoped .22. More accessories available on a 10/22. Marlin has a bit more of a full sized feel to it. Academy also sells them if there is one near you.

There is also a Marlin 60 sub-forum on RimfireCentral.

Geneseo1911
January 6, 2009, 05:07 PM
Model 60 is a fine rifle. I have a 10/22, but that is mainly because I wanted a detachable magazine.

Sounds like a fair price as well, I didn't know you could get a new one that cheap. You might see what a local gun shop could get you one for. WalMart caved to political pressure and quit selling guns in IL, so I try to avoid buying ammo or accessories there.

WNTFW
January 6, 2009, 05:14 PM
The detatchable magazine is nice in the field & also shooting prone as opposed to tube fed. I have used .22s that tube fed from the muzzle end & some from the butt end. The removable mag opens up some options for you. Like you can deal with reloading a mag with the gun slung or set down.

Dr.Rob
January 6, 2009, 05:15 PM
Model 60 and 795/995 are almost the same. You should be able to shooot 1.5 inch 5 shot groups off the bench at 100 yards with it. They are a pain to clean the action--dental picks and gun scrubber work well but they are pretty good little rifles. Only issue I've had is barrel pin loosening up after 20 years (easily fixed by any smith) and the recoil buffers can get brittle (probably from using gun scrubber or similar solvents.)

rimshot25tn
January 6, 2009, 05:34 PM
thats a pretty dam good rifle to shoot 1.5@100yds out of the box mine will not do that at 50 maybe my game is just off thats good shooting

MIL-DOT
January 6, 2009, 07:14 PM
I almost bought mine at wally world, but ended up making the drive to a favorite gunstore to get the stainless/synthetic version I always wanted. I can't speak highly enough of these guns, light, accurate,reliable,economical, you just can't beat it ! I have a freind with two modified 10/22's, and my stock 60 shoots circles around his !! Go for it. And don't forget to grab SEVERAL thousand rounds of ammo, or you may soon be wishing you had.
The bulk Federal and bulk Winchester that Wally world sells is fine. Also, grab a few boxes of the Remington sub-sonic, it's very quiet and very accurate.

ArmedBear
January 6, 2009, 07:18 PM
IMO the 60 is the best low-priced rifle out there. I don't think the Wally World one is any different from mine.

WNTFW
January 6, 2009, 07:26 PM
Rimshot,
What ammo you using?
At 50yds with a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 (which I just took off) my Marlin 60 will hit shotgun shells & wads, (very consistent) .308 (fairly consistent) & .223 shells either sitting on or stuck in the ground. That was with Federal bulk pack ammo and me probably detracting from the equation. Also using some form of rest on the front nothing on the rear. Tailwind was almost inline with shots.
I have a lot of shooters surprised by how well it shoots. That is with them shooting the rifle.
It is my favorite .22 rifle from behind the trigger. It is not that much on looks though. There are prettier .22s out there. I added a sling & swivels. A Caldwell bipod can now hook to the front swivel. The upside is it aint no safe queen. I can't bring it to the range if something else needs to be shot.

Lon371
January 6, 2009, 07:29 PM
I think you should do it and not look back. I have one that is old and abused. Cut the stock for the kids(that was dumb) but hey they can shoot it. It is a great gun. Even if you dont scrub it like you should they will still shoot. I say go for it.

Lonny

Martyk
January 6, 2009, 07:43 PM
Don't waste any more time reading posts. Great rifle. Buy it before someone else does. Very accurate even w/ CB long low velocity loads. (these don't cycle the action though). I just shoot & shoot & shoot mine. You will get many many years of enjoyment and so will your children and grandchildren.

Duke of Doubt
January 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
As much as I hate Wally World, I have to admit I bought a "walnut"-finished birchwood and blued steel Model 60 from them about nine years ago for $99. It's a tackdriver. I put a Wally World Tasco 3-9x scope on it, and dialed it up to nine -- it became the UBER-tackdriver. As in, one little hole at 100 yards.

The pressed checkering and fake finish are pretty sad, and it gets full of soot and rough to cycle before too many rounds, but I have to admit I like it and plink a lot with it. Daughter likes it, too.

Oh, and it even has a kill: I shot down a bumblebee on the wing with it, after the bee tried to mate with my lawnmower.

SGW42
January 6, 2009, 10:35 PM
If you have an Academy where you live, they have hardwood/blued versions for $140.

And if you have a Gander Mtn. where you live, they have synthetic/blued versions for $140.

I hear they're awesome. I'm after a 795SS myself.

offthepaper
January 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
I have 2 older 60's. I have quite a few other guns, but I always find time to shoot them when I take my other rifles to the range. Very accurate, enough to surprise some people and eats any ammo I feed it.
You can never go wrong with a 60. ;)

Furncliff
January 6, 2009, 11:20 PM
No trouble to clean a model 60.

Unscrew two screws either side of the trigger guard.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m6003t.jpg

The Barrel and action separate from the stock.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m6004t.jpg

Some folks clean the action with just this amount of disassembly.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m6005t.jpg

Or go one step farther by removing this pin.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m6006t.jpg

Now the action is separated from the barrel and the bolt can be removed.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m6007t.jpg

A remarkable rifle for the price.

More info on M60's.

Thanks to Junior Doughty at

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/m60.htm

Lonestar.45
January 6, 2009, 11:25 PM
I bought one in 1982, my first "real" rifle. I still have it and it still shoots dime sized groups at 25 yds w/a cheap 4x scope on it, and this after sending no telling how many bricks of ammo through it over the years.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with one, at least if they're built anywhere as close to the way they used to be.

xstuntman
January 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
Best bang for the buck. Mike

Armed 24/7
January 6, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have owned one just like the one you are considering for over 15 years, and still love it. I shot about 1,000 rounds a week through it in High School, and would only clean it every few months. Buy it, and you won't be disapointed.

Martyk
January 7, 2009, 01:15 AM
Outstanding Ferncliff !! Thanks for the info. You don't happen to own a Browning Buck Mark Plus do you!!! ;)

rangerruck
January 7, 2009, 01:23 AM
normally, I would say go for it, but when it comes to a mod 60, I usually say go to a gunstore, that uses a gunsmith to check used weapons, and buy one used. Especially if it has the 17 round feed tube, plus the last shot bolt hold open.
Plus the older ones have the cool curved bolt handles, not the actual bolt that they put on it now.

Pat4x4
January 7, 2009, 01:33 AM
Between all the 10/22's I have owned and the 60's I have used.. Stock for stock the 60's shoot rings around the 10/22's.. best bang for the buck out there

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 7, 2009, 01:47 AM
Marlin 60s are great guns. You can't buy as many aftermarket toys for them as a 10/22, but you really don't need to. The only accessory I recommend without fail is one of those tube magazine speed loaders (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012788222343a.shtml). Fill it up while watching TV or reading the forum and empty it at range. Just download it one round a tube since the Marlin holds 14.

REAPER4206969
January 7, 2009, 02:27 AM
Thank you all! Is there any difference between the Model 60 sold at Wal-Mart and one sold anywhere else?

toivo
January 7, 2009, 02:42 AM
Thank you all! Is there any difference between the Model 60 sold at Wal-Mart and one sold anywhere else?
Nope. With the exception of a few special-run models (the laminated International and 22" Ruger 10/22's, and the synthetic-stocked Beretta 390 shotguns), there is no such thing as a "WalMart gun." They sell the same guns as everyone else.

Dr.Rob
January 7, 2009, 03:01 AM
Well furncliff just made me want to look at how my 995 is put together!

And I just learned something new. While my magazine guide and hammer assembly are screwed in, take down was exactly the same and I KNOW my manual never showed taking it down that far. Cleaned 20+ years of crud out of the receiver. Extractors feel gritty, probably need to pop them out and clean the channels but now I can see how! Thanks for the post!

Hanzerik
January 7, 2009, 03:04 AM
Just bought my second Model 60 last week from Walmart, shoots as good as my other one which I bought used a year ago for $75. Plus I just traded a couple days ago for a Henry 22 which also shoots pretty nice (Also has better wood IMO then the Marlins).

http://hanzerik.home.bresnan.net/pics/22S/ALL.JPG

Mike U.
January 7, 2009, 04:57 AM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Mike_U_photos/Mvc-007f.jpg
My 30+ year old Model 60. Still as accurate and fun to shoot as it was when it came into my family waaay back when. :cool:
Stock was re-done in mid-90's by my recently deceased little brother :( under the close supervision of our longer deceased father.:(
This rifle will never leave unless, of course, it's truly pried from my cold, dead hands. :eek: ;):)

Marlin Model 60's are fine rifles for the money. Not a ton of after market stuff like the 10/22 enjoys, but, some things just don't need embellishment.

notorious
January 7, 2009, 04:58 AM
Great rifle, reliable as all heck, make sure you line up the magazine tube follower before slamming it in so you don't bend it... don't ask me how I know that tube gets bent easily.

Dr.Rob
January 7, 2009, 05:15 AM
From an old post... had been shooting all day and just tried this for kicks. 5 Shots Federal Lightning 40 gr lead, 100 yards sighting at bottom of the diamond. Marlin 995, Weaver 1.5-4.5 scope. Any Marlin mod 60, off a bench should be able to do this. http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36391&d=1141242343

Landlocked Pirate
January 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
I've bought three of these from Walmart in the past 18 months (two as gifts for my sons). I thinks it's one of the best deals around.

JonB
January 7, 2009, 11:16 AM
Buy it. You won't regret it. I got the SS version that came with a black synthetic stock. I replaced the stock with a gray/black laminate stock that Marlin is selling now so it looks like this (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60SS.asp). I added a silver scope and black sling - sharp looking rifle.

They are great shooting rifles and are way more accurate than you would think they would be for $150.

ETA: The Bulk Pack Remington Golden Bullets are dirty as hell. Using those is the only time I had issues with feeding. Go for the Federal instead.

woof
January 7, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm with mil-dot, I'd cough up the extra and buy the stainless/synthetic model.

REAPER4206969
January 7, 2009, 04:44 PM
I have a stainless/synthetic Marlin 995SS so I thought I would go blued/wood with the model 60.:)

ArmedBear
January 7, 2009, 04:53 PM
BTW if you have a local Cabela's, they just sent out coupons for next week. Stainless 60's for $169, or pink/charcoal laminate and blue for the ladies.:)

REAPER4206969
January 7, 2009, 04:55 PM
Wood or synthetic stocks on the stainless?

toivo
January 7, 2009, 04:59 PM
Is that $169 for a stainless/synthetic Model 60? That's a great deal. That's what I paid for one six years ago. Even if it's hardwood and stainless, it's a good deal.

ArmedBear
January 7, 2009, 05:11 PM
Marlin does not sell a hardwood stock 60 any more.

They're all laminate, even the base Wal Mart model.

They aren't all stripe-stained, but they're all laminate.

The 60SS is what Cabela's has; it's the one-color laminate. I'd take that over molded plastic any day.

REAPER4206969
January 7, 2009, 05:20 PM
This one, the model 60SB?http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60SB.asp

ArmedBear
January 7, 2009, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry, you're right. The SS has a stripe-stain gray stock.:)

Cabela's has the 60SB.

Brian41
January 7, 2009, 05:28 PM
Excelent .22 plinker.... and can be a real tac-driver in accuracy as well.

recently heard a guy refer to them as the best of the best of .22 rifles, and i wouldn't disagree with him.

go to tech-sights.com and order a set of their aperture (peep) sights... make an accurate rifle even more accurate. Will lengthen the sight radius by 8-10 inches or so, and give you the accuracy and quick acquisition that peep sights offer.

my $.02

toivo
January 7, 2009, 05:53 PM
Marlin does not sell a hardwood stock 60 any more.

They're all laminate, even the base Wal Mart model.

They aren't all stripe-stained, but they're all laminate.

The 60SS is what Cabela's has; it's the one-color laminate. I'd take that over molded plastic any day.

Thanks, I didn't know they were all laminate now. I thought only the grey-and-black ones were. I have a synthetic/stainless because I wanted a really weatherproof .22 rifle. I don't see why Marlin charges more for a synthetic stock (it must be cheaper to produce), but they do.

Sniper X
January 7, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have the SS version. My buddy bought it from Wally, then needed money a couple weeks later and sold it to me for $50.00. I LOVE it for a plinker and it works great for a around the ranch 22 for varmints. Very accurate and reliable.

Ratshooter
January 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
One of the benefits to buying a stainless model is the stainless comes with the upgrade sights. The fold down rear and a front base with a front sight insert that can be replaced.

It seems like any rifle that has the Marlin name on it is a shooter. I have at least 11 Marlins and each one has worked as designed and never given any trouble. Its one of those brands you can buy with the confidence that it will work. In the rare event that it doesn't they have an excelent track record for taking care of their customers.

Get that gun.

ArmedBear
January 7, 2009, 07:13 PM
My buddy bought it from Wally, then needed money a couple weeks later and sold it to me for $50.00.

You lucky dog!

Sniper X
January 7, 2009, 07:14 PM
I know! Iwas so happy that night he brought it by and actually ASKED me if I wanted it for 50 dollars. I snatched it out of his hands like I was Bruce Lee! And whipped out the 50 so fast he didn't have a chance to change his mind!

CZguy
January 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hello, I am thinking about buying a model 60 for $147 at Wal-Mart. It is the blued and wood model. What do you all think about the rifle and the price?

Good price go ahead and buy it.

That being said, one of my favorite things to do in the winter is to rescue a Model 60 from a pawn shop. My last one went for $60.00 out the door. After refinishing, a thorough cleaning, and a trigger job, it's one of my favorites.

jackdanson
January 7, 2009, 07:58 PM
Mine's almost as old as I am (25), and it still shoots great.

REAPER4206969
January 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hanzeirk, does your new model 60 have the round knurled charging handle? It is hard to tell from your photo.

willmartin
January 7, 2009, 11:33 PM
I just picked one of these up at the mart. You can call it ChinaMart all you want, but this Marlin was made in the USA. It's the standard $147 Model 60, wood stock, blued barrel. Haven't had a chance to fire a few through her yet, but am definitely looking forward to it.

REAPER4206969
January 8, 2009, 03:31 AM
willmartin, is this what the model you bought at Wal-Mart looks like?
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/zoom_60.jpg

CajunBass
January 8, 2009, 10:22 AM
I don't have a Model 60, I think they're kinda ugly, but they sure do shoot.

Hanzerik
January 8, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hanzeirk, does your new model 60 have the round knurled charging handle? It is hard to tell from your photo.

Yes, the new one does. The old one has the curved smooth charging handle.

toivo
January 8, 2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by REAPER4206969
Yes, the new one does. The old one has the curved smooth charging handle.

I believe they went to the knurled charging handle when they went from the 21" to the 19" barrel. When I bought my Model 60 in 2003, they had both versions in the store, so I'm guessing that's around when the changeover happened. I've never seen a 19" Model 60 with the curved charging handle. They may exist, but I've never seen one.

orvpark
January 8, 2009, 04:59 PM
I bought two stainless 60's recently, one to retire my old one to safe queen status and one to put back for my daughter.

I was VERY VERY disappointed in the machine work of the modern 60's. To say rough is putting it lightly. With a blued one you probably won't notice, but pick up a stainless one and you will see what I mean. As far as function, I can't complain it shoots great, trigger pull is just as good as my old one, and it groups well. The "wood" sucks, but that is expected out of any modern off the shelf gun.

It simply isn't a "pretty" gun as all stainless guns should be!

REAPER4206969
January 9, 2009, 01:36 AM
So I went to Wal-Mart today to purchase a model 60 and the first Wal-Mart I went to, the rifle had been sitting in the display case so long that the varnish from the wood racks stuck all over the butt plate and caused a small amount of corrosion on the barrel. So I went to another Wal-Mart and they had a 60SB with a missing sight hood and a perfect 60 (Wood/blue the one I wanted.) so I said “I’ll take it!” Then of course they had me fill out the 4473 and holly hell what a disaster! It took over 50 minutes to get out of there. They checked the serial over and over and over and filled out the dealer section of the 4473 as I stood there as slow as humanly possible. Finely the manager comes and I get to do the infamous “Walk of shame.” out of the store. But in the end I got a fine rifle that I really like and can’t wait to shoot. Thank you all for your help. Has anyone ells had a poor experience buying firearms at Wal-Mart?

CZguy
January 9, 2009, 01:53 AM
Has anyone ells had a poor experience buying firearms at Wal-Mart?

I suspect that we all have.

Between the unskilled people, and the manager walking you out like a criminal, it's hard to call it anything else.

notorious
January 9, 2009, 01:54 AM
At least your Wal-mart sells guns, unlike the ones here in Kommiefornia.

toivo
January 9, 2009, 02:02 AM
Uh-oh, I sense a Wal-Mart thread coming on...

Art Eatman
January 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
Ya wanna bash WalMart?

Don't.

Art

notorious
January 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
Don't feel too bad about WW giving you the walk. I got the same treatment at Lowes when I bought an AXE! Plus I had a stream of little old ladies and guys in button down pullover shirts (who have likely never even been in the woods much less cut timber) give me the evil eye as I walked past. They were truly scared to death I was going to take that axe and do a slasher movie impersonation right there in Lowes. It was sick. Has the world of man gotten so out of touch with the real world? Obviously so. You just wouldn't have believed the looks I got. We can all thank Hollywood for making anyone in a hooded sweatshirt and a wool hat out to be the next guy to scream, "Here's Johnny!"

Next time take off the hockey mask and turn off the boombox that is playing the Friday the 13th theme.

WNTFW
January 9, 2009, 05:39 PM
King's post had me wondering do people that kill people with axes use them straight off the shelf or do they sharpen them first.
Then I remembered I saw 'Slingblade'.

REAPER4206969
January 9, 2009, 06:24 PM
I was not bashing Wal-Mart; I was just relaying my experiences of purchasing my model 60.

WNTFW
January 11, 2009, 10:49 AM
King,
That is funny.
"I guess you would have to ask a real axe murderer though. I just murder firewood or to be honest it pretty much murders me after I sit down on a day I've been whacking at it with an axe."

I have similar views & experience on shovels and wheelbarrows. Both are tools for real men.

I guess we should get back on topic.

I'd rather be playing with my Marlin 60 than either one of the tools for manly men.

notorious
January 11, 2009, 11:52 AM
I prefer walking around the sporting goods store with a machete. Much more amazon-jungle than an axe.

w_houle
January 11, 2009, 12:00 PM
Don't take this assembly apart. It took me over an hour to get it back together.
http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m6006t.jpg

REAPER4206969
January 11, 2009, 09:08 PM
Thank you for the tip!:)

Rubber_Duck
January 11, 2009, 09:34 PM
You guys with the newer Model 60s are lucky. I have to unscrew four screws to get the trigger group out instead of a pushpin and a pivot. :banghead:

notorious
January 11, 2009, 10:38 PM
Just do what I do... never clean or disassemble the gun. No trigger group problems!

lionking
January 18, 2009, 06:06 PM
Here is mine,kinda brand newish really haven't shot it that much because I mostly been shooting centerfire.But today for the first time I rested it to see what it would do in my hands lol,before I mainly just popped soda cans with it at various ranges and today I tried 3 types of ammo out.

Now notice after the first volley all my others went to 7 O'clock.The sun was making the front post shine so I did have a bit of trouble on front sight focus but still.Any ideas why after the first five the rest mainly went southwest is it me or maybe the rifle?The center target was the first volley then up left to right and then down left to right in volley.

All in alll though they are great fun rifles well worth it I think.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/lionking_rocks/Marlin%20model%2060/019.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/lionking_rocks/Marlin%20model%2060/009.jpg

DarkCharisma
January 18, 2009, 06:08 PM
the Marlin Mod. 60 was the first gun I learned to shoot when I was 5 or 6, it's a great gun--My dad still has it in his closet, I was shooting caps off of 2-liter bottles with it at about 50 yards, it's a fairly accurate little gun.

REAPER4206969
January 19, 2009, 12:27 PM
How long ago did you buy it? It has the longer barrel and curved charging handle. Nice rifle!

lionking
January 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
I got it around five years ago at Walmart.Before that I used a Glenfield going back years that my dad bought that got to a point it was just shot out.

Grassman
January 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
I've had one since I was a teenager, I'm 37 now. I think I paid around $89 new then.

CZguy
January 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
Lionking I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut you could increase your accuracy using Federal ammo. It makes a big difference in my Model 60 and my Stevens 15-A.

All .22s have their favorite ammo, no two are alike. :)

CZguy
January 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
Lionking I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut you could increase your accuracy using Federal ammo. It makes a big difference in my Model 60 and my Stevens 15-A.

All .22s have their favorite ammo, no two are alike. :)

lionking
January 20, 2009, 09:20 PM
KG ya know it could be that Federal might do better when I find some I'll try some.But,I have been shooting various centerfires exclusively for the last year this was the first time I shot this M60 in 2 years.I had shot a FAL and others before I got to it last weekend,I was getting tired,it was last call on the range and the sun was beating down on the front sight.

So this quick test I did is inconclusive.The only thing Im seeing is I need to adjust the sights to shoot bullseye.The group size between the ammo isn't that much different for what I want and that is for it to hit POA at 50 yds for plinking.As soon as it is sighted in and I just have a better idea just to know if ammo is better than another I'll just be more interested in setting up shotgun shells and plinking them.Im not going to fret over if one ammo does 1 inch and the other spreads another half inch.Of course if I do know and I can find the ammo that is more accurate in it than yes I would use that.But other than that,what ever I have on hand.

tackleberry65
January 20, 2009, 11:36 PM
I bought a used Wally World M60 this year for $90. Great gun for the money, IMO. The only thing I didn't think about was the slow reloading. It never occurred to me that I would ever care till I saw a guy shooting his 10/22 at a steel plate shoot. 25-rd removable mags sure are nice. I'll end up owning both rifles for different reasons. :)

...and mine eats bulk federals like Cartman eats cheezy poofs.

toivo
January 21, 2009, 12:57 AM
The only thing I didn't think about was the slow reloading.

I have only one word of advice:

Spee-D-Loader (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-1.html)

outerlimit
January 21, 2009, 01:45 AM
In my experience the Marlin model 60's are more accurate than a stock Ruger 10/22 and the trigger is much better.

The Spee-D-Loader makes reloading easier.

CZguy
January 21, 2009, 01:58 AM
Plus three on the Spee-D-Loader.

notorious
January 21, 2009, 04:17 AM
The tube fed magazine of the M60 also has been a lot more reliable than the various high-capacity magazines for my 10/22 for sure.

Deepskyy
January 21, 2009, 01:31 PM
I picked up one and love it. I put a cheap air rifle scope on it, and thats all she really needs. Fun to shoot and accurate.
I've got a total of about $150 in mine, not counting ammo.

CZguy
January 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
I own both a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10/22, among others.

I have never had a problem with the Marlin, of any kind, and it shoots very well. I did have to do a trigger job to it.

The Ruger shoots very well now, but I did have to put quite a few Volquartsen parts on it to get it to be reliable and have a good trigger.

I've never had a problem with the tube feed on the model sixty.

I have had to tweak the factory Ruger mags, and have completely given up on after market mags.

They're both good guns, but it takes more money to get the Ruger to run right. If you don't agree, go on over to rimfire central to the 10/22 section and do a search for FTF, and FTE. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Model 60 at Wal-Mart?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!