Civilian FN SCAR 16S Now for sale!

PDA

Desert Scorpion
January 6, 2009, 09:12 PM
The Civilian FN SCAR 16s is now available to civilians in legal states, with a 10 round magazine or a 30 round magazine. Rumor has it that 1000 were shipped for initial production with them being categorized as “Special Edition Models” mainly for the reason they have markings on both sides of the gun. Regular ones will only have markings on one side. What I mean by markings are Serial # and manufacture information. So I wanted to start a post on the FN SCAR for civilians, mainly to see if anyone has any more information on them.
As of now the MSRP was around $2700.00 and unfortunately we have a few other factors to contribute to the price even being worse. 1. They are not being made in the United States but are imported causing an importation fee to be added, the United States factory will only allow military production of FN SCAR’s in the US. 2. The “OBAMA FACTOR” which will cause prices to be raised even more. 3. Demand. 4They are limited production editions with low serial numbers causing the price to be even more high.
So what do you end up with, you end up with a rifle going for over $4000.00 dollars. No joke go on GUNBROKER, there is one on there for $4000.00 and there is still 5 days into the auction.
May the games begin.

Please give your 2 cents I am interested,

Me personally $3000.00 is the limit for an FN SCAR I will pay, only because I find it to be a very good gun, and it may replace all US Military small arms soon; as it already had taken SOCOM.

If you enjoyed reading about "Civilian FN SCAR 16S Now for sale!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shotgunjoel
January 6, 2009, 09:15 PM
I want one! But I'm not paying 4000 bucks for it, you serious!? Do you know how much ammo I could buy with all that money?

Eightball
January 6, 2009, 09:17 PM
*laughs at the price*

I knew this would happen--too little, too late for the release, with not enough of them.

Same thing'll happen for the ACR, too.

That being said, I'd still love to have one if anyone's buying.

General Geoff
January 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
I thought there was an import ban on "non-sporting" rifles..?

January 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
No reason that thing is worth any more than $2k to me. But folks, have at it.

Desert Scorpion
January 6, 2009, 09:36 PM
I did think about the importation:rolleyes: given the 922r compliance. Seems they really are being imported:scrutiny: how hell if I know. I just want one.

Evil Monkey
January 6, 2009, 09:44 PM
Sure it has great features, great barrel, etc, etc, but damn the price is still disproportionate.

People argue "oh my it's so modular!", but I say for the price the SCAR costs in its standard configuration, I can build a couple of AR's or even XCR's, SIG's, in whatever configuration I want for around the same price, plus or minus accessory cost.

Coal Dragger
January 6, 2009, 10:11 PM
Price is way way way too high even at MSRP, much less with the mark up.

taliv
January 6, 2009, 10:19 PM
if i were a collector, i'd definitely pay $3000 for one of the first ones. geez, how could you go wrong with that?

let me put it this way: if there is a ban think what they will go for 10 years from now if it's the standard issue for the entire US Military and only a few thousand are in civilian hands. seriously, they will go for STUPID money

put another way, for $2700, you could put your kids through college 18 years from now

Kino74
January 6, 2009, 10:20 PM
One guy on AR15 said a shop in Louisiana had one for $3200. Whether its $2700 or what not that is still too high.

cchurchi
January 6, 2009, 10:29 PM
I won't buy a $4000 FN scar because I'm saving up to buy one of the 10 POF rifles for sale on Gunbroker for $4000.... NOT!

January 6, 2009, 10:32 PM
if i were a collector, i'd definitely pay $3000 for one of the first ones. geez, how could you go wrong with that?

let me put it this way: if there is a ban think what they will go for 10 years from now if it's the standard issue for the entire US Military and only a few thousand are in civilian hands. seriously, they will go for STUPID money

put another way, for $2700, you could put your kids through college 18 years from now....
You must be one of those stock market speculators.:evil:

taliv
January 6, 2009, 10:45 PM
heh, well i was a broker for a couple years

(of course, if there's NOT a ban and/or the military doesn't adopt it, you'll basically be stuck with $3000 in a hard-to-sell piece of molded plastic. (see: Aug, Steyr)

Jaws
January 6, 2009, 10:54 PM
Desert Scorpion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Civilian FN SCAR 16s is now available to civilians in legal states, with a 10 round magazine or a 30 round magazine. Rumor has it that 1000 were shipped for initial production with them being categorized as “Special Edition Models” mainly for the reason they have markings on both sides of the gun. Regular ones will only have markings on one side. What I mean by markings are Serial # and manufacture information. So I wanted to start a post on the FN SCAR for civilians, mainly to see if anyone has any more information on them.
As of now the MSRP was around $2700.00 and unfortunately we have a few other factors to contribute to the price even being worse. 1. They are not being made in the United States but are imported causing an importation fee to be added, the United States factory will only allow military production of FN SCAR’s in the US. 2. The “OBAMA FACTOR” which will cause prices to be raised even more. 3. Demand. 4They are limited production editions with low serial numbers causing the price to be even more high.
So what do you end up with, you end up with a rifle going for over $4000.00 dollars. No joke go on GUNBROKER, there is one on there for $4000.00 and there is still 5 days into the auction.
May the games begin.

Please give your 2 cents I am interested,

Me personally $3000.00 is the limit for an FN SCAR I will pay, only because I find it to be a very good gun, and it may replace all US Military small arms soon; as it already had taken SOCOM.

There are five on GB right now and the one from TN passed 5K:what:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/%3cFA%3eJaws/SCARY.jpg

But they are made in USA. In Fredericsburg VA. From what I understand they are not made in the same place with the millitary version....I may be wrong tho.:uhoh:

this picture was posted with one of the adds on GB:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/%3cFA%3eJaws/pix2310024703.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/%3cFA%3eJaws/pix2262494296.jpg

Evil Monkey
January 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'll come out and say it, none of these rifles that go beyond 1200-1600 dollars are really worth the price. They only cost that much because of the monopoly the manufacturers have over that said rifle design and that there are people willing to pay that amount.

Seriously, you ever wonder how the hell a rifle like the XCR, SIG556, and some improved AR's were going for $1200-1500 before the panic purchasing? These rifles are made in the states with US currency, and with the former rifles are totally proprietary, and they cost half to less than half of what these new rifles are going for (scar, aug's, fs2000, etc).

JWarren
January 6, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm kinda with you guys on this one. I really have no desire to own one-- especially at $4K.

-- John

W.E.G.
January 6, 2009, 11:09 PM
$4000?!!! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/Alex.gif

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/Im_Gonna_Git_You_Sucka.jpg

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
Good one, WEG. But that one went for over FIVE thousand.

Lookit, if it's a SPECIAL run, making it COLLECTIBLE, then sure it's worth that - to SOME people - not me, but some. Just like any collectible, you may or may not ever get that to re-sell it, but it's like art - it's worth whatever instrinsically it's worth to you, knowing that you have one of 1,000 and no more of that special run will ever be made. To some people who really want to own that collectible, that's a steal. But the problem with that is (to me) it doesn't even SAY anywhere, stamped on the rifle, that it's FIRST RUN - 1 OF 1,000 or similar. So what kind of collectible is not even marked as such? So you get a certificate; well yeah, ok, that's something, but it'd be nice if the rifle was actually marked - I guess it's always tied to the certificate authenticating it through the SN, so that's something. Maybe it's worth that, if you're all about being the first. :)

As for whether it's worth that absent being a collectible? No way, no how, not even close. An XCR is as good or better and is right at $1,100 LESS, at about $1,600.

Eightball
January 6, 2009, 11:21 PM
I will admit.....the one thing about these is, that given the political climate, I'm sure $4K will seem like nothing later on down the road after a ban, and you're one of the ~1,000 guys with the last cool toy on the block, and that $4000 wouldn't seem so bad when they're skyrocketing in price.

Until then, I continue to laugh at the price.

Coronach
January 6, 2009, 11:52 PM
Worth $1.5k? Probably.

Worth $3k? No.

Worth $5k? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. No.

I actually feel relieved. I was trying to save up for the New Hawtness (whether it be SCAR or ACR/Masada) this winter, and I just didn't get it done. If this thing had clocked in at $1,500, I would be sorely tempted to put it on plastic. As is, I have ZERO desire to buy one on credit.

Thanks, FN.

Mike

nwilliams
January 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't put down that kind of money, especially since I read the MSRP is around $2600. It's amazing how much people will spend to be the first kid on the block with a new toy. I remember the prices of the Sig 556 when they first began to appear on gunbroker, glad I waited.

The ban threat is a logical reason for people to spend a lot of money on a SCAR but I'm pretty sure that by the end of the year you'll be able to get them for a lot less and I'm not convinced a ban will occur between now and then. If I'm wrong then I guess I'll just have to live without the SCAR:(

Evil Monkey
January 7, 2009, 12:08 AM
We already have rifles that fix what ever the hell is wrong with the AR15 platform at affordable prices.

I'm looking for a $1,000 decent bullpup that uses AR mags. Maybe an M17? But that all there is unless you go $1,700+++ for AUG's and FS2000's.

ugaarguy
January 7, 2009, 12:17 AM
But they are made in USA. In Fredericsburg VA. From what I understand they are not made in the same place with the millitary version....I may be wrong tho
FNH USA is in Fredericksburg, VA and it's nothing more than a sales office. The FNP pistols, FS 2000, PS90, etc. are all marked FNH USA Fredericksburg VA, but they're made at FNMI in Columbia, SC. The SCAR is also being made at FNMI (the same place FN makes M16s and other small arms for the US Military).

W.E.G.
January 7, 2009, 12:32 AM
"collectible?"

In this context, I think that means I get to store it, without getting to shoot it, and so that SOMEBODY ELSE can enjoy it when I get tired of storing it.

I don't think so.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/nosafequeens.jpg

Evil Monkey
January 7, 2009, 12:39 AM
I agree WEG, I HATE the idea of a "safe queen". That's just a hording mentality.

If you want to collect stuff to put somewhere and not use, try looking into dolls.

HorseSoldier
January 7, 2009, 01:10 AM
Nice gun, but not $5000 nice.

Coal Dragger
January 7, 2009, 01:16 AM
It is a nice rifle, I'd rather have the SCAR H in 7.62 though. I would be a definite buyer at a price point of $2K, but not more.

Schuey2002
January 7, 2009, 05:21 AM
One of them is already over 6K! And there is still three days left to go on that auction...

:rolleyes:

Rubber_Duck
January 7, 2009, 09:26 AM
$5000+!!!!! Are you FN kidding me!?!

I'm waiting for the SCAR-H (the 7.62x51mm version), I am seriously going to buy one (no joke), but I will not spend more than $2K on one. For that kind of money I want to be throwing the big slugs.

goldie
January 7, 2009, 09:32 AM
the robinson armament xcr is very similar,at about 1500.00........

nwilliams
January 7, 2009, 09:37 AM
$5000+!!!!! Are you FN kidding me!?!

LOL! That's great:D

goldie
January 7, 2009, 09:39 AM
yeah ? theres one on gunbroker for 6000.00 & reserve not met! !:what::eek::what: do a search for fn scar !

Gunnerpalace
January 7, 2009, 10:09 AM
Wanted to get one when they were 2500.00 (pre order is your friend), But I'm gonna wait for the MR223 and the annoy all the naysayers.

mstirton
January 7, 2009, 11:13 AM
1500 and I'll get one, 2k and I'd be really tempted. I agree with some others here that I am actually kinda relieved because this is sooo far above what I would pay. I figure the ACR will be the same if it ever comes out at all. Maybe I'll start looking at the XCR again.

22lr
January 7, 2009, 12:22 PM
LOL 5k. LOL it would have to come with 100+ pmags, maybe 4k in ammo and then I might bite. Gosh id rather go buy 5 ARs.

atlanticfire
January 7, 2009, 12:28 PM
I wonder what it really cost in parts and materials to build, add in time. Hey somebody has to make a 500% profit!

Coal Dragger
January 8, 2009, 02:09 AM
I would venture to guess the parts and labor put into either SCAR model are less than that put into an M16. So FN is turning one hell of a profit on each rifle at their MSRP.

Pulse
January 8, 2009, 06:32 AM
4000?

that almost europrices!

i allready set aside 5000 for a SIG SAPR.. now if they would just release it.. :/

ny32182
January 8, 2009, 11:15 AM
I fondled one at a gun store; it looks and feels like a nice rifle. I want one. I'm not paying 4-6k or whatever they go for now. I would probably, grudgingly, buy one at MSRP if they ever made it down that far. But not a dollar more. Personally I think this rifle should cost 2k.

I'm hoping the line of people willing to pay 4-6K, or even 3K for this thing is not really that long, and that they come down out of the stratosphere before any potential ban.

I do agree that if they are banned with only a few hundred out the door,4K is going to look like a hell of a deal in a real hurry.

Based on my (admittedly not perfect) understanding of the SCAR design, I feel that the XCR design is superior anyway in several key aspects. To be fair, the SCAR comes with sights and a PWS comp, so you can't compare direct MSRPs without adding in some stuff to the XCR. The XCR+Troys+PWS break comes to just short of 1900, so the actual difference in MSRPs between the two in similar trim is about $800.

J.R.W.
January 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120173823

$8025.00 and counting.:rolleyes:

ny32182
January 8, 2009, 12:01 PM
The one here locally went for $42XX. Someone got a "deal".

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 8, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm glad to see the reserve was met somewhere b/t $6K and 8K. :scrutiny:

Click Click Boom
January 8, 2009, 12:27 PM
I would rather take 5 XCRs than pay 8 grand for that.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 8, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'd rather have one XCR than to have that rifle at the price of an XCR.

mr.trooper
January 8, 2009, 12:33 PM
seriously. Id take an XCR every time, no mater how cheap that thing was.

jackdanson
January 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
I'll come out and say it, none of these rifles that go beyond 1200-1600 dollars are really worth the price. They only cost that much because of the monopoly the manufacturers have over that said rifle design and that there are people willing to pay that amount.

+1 on that.

That being said, if someone knows where I can get one for 1200 speak up and Ill jump on it!

taliv
January 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
btw, i'm in the market for a new Prius. i don't really think they're worth $30k though. if anyone knows where you can get a new one for $3000, let me know!

KW
January 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
I guess it's just shocking to some of us that people would pay as much as a Lightning Link or select-fire FNC for a new semi-auto.

variablebinary
January 9, 2009, 10:52 AM
There is always going to be some insanity when a new carbine drops, but even after all settles, the SCAR will still be nearly 1000 bucks more than an XCR, which on many levels I think is the better gun

I can understand why that price difference would give many cause for pause

Eightball
January 9, 2009, 01:02 PM
And yet, for all the people comparing the SCAR to the XCR......I wonder how many more XCRs are getting sold since people are now all wise in knowing that the SCAR they've never held doesn't have anything going for it that the XCR which costs a little less and has been on the market for longer doesn't.

It could possibly be that little "supply and demand" thing. That being said......I think a SCAR or Masada would be cool to own, but not at those prices. And yeah, I'd rather own one of the above than an XCR. YMMV.

That, and I still think paying $1000+ for ANY EBR is just plain dumb.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 9, 2009, 01:09 PM
It IS definitely supply and demand. It's just that even if the SCAR fulfills EVERYTHING is purported to do when the dust settles, it's STILL inferior to, at at most equal to, the XCR - at least in my opinion. :)

Coronach
January 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
btw, i'm in the market for a new Prius. i don't really think they're worth $30k though. if anyone knows where you can get a new one for $3000, let me know!After this week's weather, I know where you can get a low-mileage used one for under $3k, Taliv.

It has a small dent, though...

Mike :evil:

taliv
January 9, 2009, 02:25 PM
did you really have an accident in one this weekend? i assume from your grin everyone is ok

still a bummer :(

goldie
January 9, 2009, 09:12 PM
When the new vw beetle first came out in the late 90's,because of low supply, some were going for over $28,000.now that was a waste :barf:......

Schuey2002
January 9, 2009, 10:56 PM
$8,725.00 and still climbing!

:what:

taliv
January 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
heh, under 3 hours to go. we'll soon see if this brand of stupidity needs 5 decimal places to be measured. (and if the buyer is also in TN, that'll be an extra $1000 of sales tax, thankyouverymuch)

nwilliams
January 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
Over $9k already!!!!!:eek:

It's really kind of sad to be honest:uhoh:

Rubber_Duck
January 10, 2009, 10:35 PM
To all those who said the XCR is "better" than the FN-SCAR: In what way is it better? Do you guys have experience with the civvie FN-SCAR to be able to compare the two?

I find it hard to believe that the FN-SCAR is inferior to the XCR just by looking at its specs on paper.

HorseSoldier
January 10, 2009, 10:53 PM
There is always going to be some insanity when a new carbine drops, but even after all settles, the SCAR will still be nearly 1000 bucks more than an XCR, which on many levels I think is the better gun

Only way price will be coming down is if the Columbia, SC, factory starts turning them out for US civilian sales, I think, and I don't know if that's likely to happen, and certainly won't until production for .mil is resolved (since the rifle's only about three years late getting to end users due to SOCOM evolving the requirements as the weapon was almost ready for fielding a couple times).

To all those who said the XCR is "better" than the FN-SCAR: In what way is it better? Do you guys have experience with the civvie FN-SCAR to be able to compare the two?

I find it hard to believe that the FN-SCAR is inferior to the XCR just by looking at its specs on paper.

I don't think there are a lot of people out there who've really put both a SCAR and an XCR through their paces (and I don't mean just shooting one or both, but really running them hard at something along the lines of at least your better tactical carbine class levels). SCAR did beat the XCR for the contract, though I'm not sure exactly what the respective strengths and weaknesses of the two designs were in final analysis.

ugaarguy
January 10, 2009, 11:02 PM
Only way price will be coming down is if the Columbia, SC, factory starts turning them out for US civilian sales, I think, and I don't know if that's likely to happen,
The major distributors are taking orders, and they have estimated ship dates based upon ship dates they've gotten from FN. Civilian production numbers are low, wholesale isn't cheap, and demand high. They'll never be cheap, but over $9K is just crazy.

variablebinary
January 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
I did a write up on the SCAR Vs. XCR back in July. FN brought the SCAR to some dealers and Salt Lake County. Scoring broke down like this when it was all said and done. Once I get my SCAR I want to add a post 5000 round count for both guns, even though my XCR is already past that point and has worked perfectly.

XCR: 5
SCAR: 2
Tie: 3

You can read it here if you are curious: http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1178.0.html

I sure as hell thinks the XCR looks better if nothing else

http://home.comcast.net/~firearmspics/XCRvsSCAR2.jpg

Especially the way it looks now :D

http://home.comcast.net/~firearmspics/xcrhk1.jpg

RP88
January 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
I'd rather just wait to see which of the dozen designs actually becomes a success in the military (and thus on the commercial market/after-market) beofre I buy a 'next-gen' weapon, political/social climate notwithstanding.

45B@cav
January 10, 2009, 11:19 PM
I love rifles to the point that it is a sickness. I have many and built the majority of them from nothing. That being said I have never and will never pay more or invest more than 2K for any firearm. I really hope the price gouging and insane buying end one day because it is a nice rifle and I would like to own one but not like this.

Jaws
January 11, 2009, 01:02 AM
:what:

Sold::eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/%3cFA%3eJaws/history.jpg

Now that Motorboy got a rifle I'm sure the prices will settle down.:D
:D

variablebinary I did a write up on the SCAR Vs. XCR back in July. FN brought the SCAR to some dealers and Salt Lake County. Scoring broke down like this when it was all said and done. Once I get my SCAR I want to add a post 5000 round count for both guns, even though my XCR is already past that point and has worked perfectly.

XCR: 5
SCAR: 2
Tie: 3

When it comes to equipping an army with weapons to defend your people, FNH's century long history and experience of making weapons for military is worth more then the rifle itself.

My two cents.

GTSteve03
January 11, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'd gladly pay $9K for a SCAR...

If it had a happy switch! :evil:

HorseSoldier
January 11, 2009, 01:42 AM
I sure as hell thinks the XCR looks better if nothing else

I think the SCAR looks pretty sharp with the SBR-length barrel fitted. The two longer barrel options look progressively less cool, IMO.

Jaws
January 11, 2009, 01:46 AM
The biggest advantage, for civilians, XCR has over the SCAR is the cheap caliber conversion. All you have to buy is a barrel, bolt, mags and ammo.

+1.:D

pgeleven
January 11, 2009, 04:49 AM
im just going to wait until they make a SCAR 10/22 stock kit. im poor...

ny32182
January 11, 2009, 12:46 PM

I have only fondled the civi SCAR, and have not dissassembled it. My initial opinions on the design are based on assumptions that the internals on the civi version mirror that of the pics of dissassembled dealer samples that have been out there for a while.

The two key things that stand out to me are:

1) The XCR has a single-unit monolithic upper, with all the rails integrated, and a free floating barrel. The SCAR has a two piece, screwed together upper, with all the rails screwed on, and the 6 oclock rail screwed directly to the barrel. FN says the barrel is free floating, but the pics of the dealer samples out there certainly indicate that it is not. Maybe the civi model has a significantly different design... I don't know. Has anyone on this forum actually bought one?

2) The XCR's bolt and operation are more AK like (3 lug bolt, long stroke piston) while the FN's bolt and action are more AR18-like (many-lug bolt, spring loaded ejector, short stroke action). Personally I think the XCR's action looks more robust, though I'm sure either can take plenty more abuse than an AR15.

I still want a SCAR, but I will never pay a dollar over MSRP for one, and would be hesitant even at that price (and if I did, it would be for the collectibility, not the functionality). Personally, based on what I've seen, I think its a $2k rifle, and that is including some gravy for the FN name.

ny32182
January 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
The biggest advantage, for civilians, XCR has over the SCAR is the cheap caliber conversion. All you have to buy is a barrel, bolt, mags and ammo.

The SCAR has this functionality as well, assuming FN will make the parts. That might be a big "if"; only time will tell.

Jaws
January 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
1) The XCR has a single-unit monolithic upper, with all the rails integrated, and a free floating barrel. The SCAR has a two piece, screwed together upper, with all the rails screwed on, and the 6 oclock rail screwed directly to the barrel. FN says the barrel is free floating, but the pics of the dealer samples out there certainly indicate that it is not. Maybe the civi model has a significantly different design... I don't know. Has anyone on this forum actually bought one?

No. Actually the barrel on the SCAR is free floating. If you go on the FNH site and watch the break down clip you'll notice that the front screws (that keep the lower rail in place), are only SUPPORT screws, not attaching screws. The front of the rail is not welded/screwed to the barrel, it screws into the receiver and the barrel is floating inside there. The four screws at the base of the barrel are the ATTACHING screws.

ny32182
January 11, 2009, 03:10 PM
The guy pulls the barrel in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BsJYzKzpI&feature=related

EdLaver
January 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
Guys bidding on Gunbroker for these guns at those outrageous prices are RICH NUTS. I think even if I could afford it I wouldnt spend that much on one. I rather have like 4 Nighthawk Custom 1911's or something :).

barry960
January 13, 2009, 09:13 PM
I was so stoked when I learned about the FN SCAR rifles, anticipating a version for us non-FFA holding folks, but didn't anticipate the price range they would be going for. The first site I found with them for sale they were listed $7-$10K all for the lite(5.56) and no heavies! Even if there were to be some stupid new 'AWB', I won't be kicking myself for missing this one. I'll settle for a Robarms or Magpul Masada, or hold out longer and wait for some aftermarket SCAR butt stock assembly that can adapt to an even less pricey model of rifle I may already have.
The thing I thought was so special about the FN SCAR was that it was modular to convert between different action lengths with an interchangeable mag well section. Was I dillusional on this, because looking closer, I cannot see a seam were the mag well separates? I guess I got confused with COBB's applicant for the SCAR contract? For that matter, we should be more excited about the COBB system, but I don't know the prices on those, but I'm sure they're more reasonable than the FN rifles are going for. Even the Robarms XCR at least has the options of 6.5 and 6.8 calibers already available if you don't want .308 length calibers, let alone 30-06 length, full magnum length and 50 BMG conversion options. Way to go FN, you H&K'd us little guys.

taliv
January 13, 2009, 09:19 PM
heh, if you think the SCAR is bad, wait til you see what the first masada goes for

Kino74
January 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
heh, if you think the SCAR is bad, wait til you see what the first masada goes for

Or the first civvie Hk416s. I betting the HK goes higher.

ny32182
January 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
The XCR 6.5 Grendel parts are not yet available. Right now they are making 5.56, 7.62x39, and 6.8spc.

goldie
January 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
the masada is dead,its not going to be made, & time is running out for anything new if the dems have their way.................

H2O MAN
January 14, 2009, 10:28 AM
SCAR 16S... No thank you!

ny32182
January 14, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm also going to consider the Masada/ACR dead unless there is further evidence to the contrary.

Regarding the SCAR prices, yes, they are high, but you can't blame FN for any amount over the recommended 2700, as they have no control of that. I've heard the dealer price is around 2100; the MSRP is 2700, and anything over that is simply supply and demand at work. Whether the demand is in line with what the rifle can actually do... well, that is another matter.

constructor
February 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
AR1 piston
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/constructor2007/P1250028.jpg

taliv
February 3, 2009, 12:26 AM
what is that?

(looks like it was made in the 70s-80s)

constructor
February 3, 2009, 12:41 AM
Yep. 6.8SPC 11.25 twist polygonal barrel, left side charge, mono chassis, piston AR, made in 1970
Except for the PVS-14, Iraq era M2 and PRI waffle mag.

taliv
February 3, 2009, 12:44 AM
6.8spc been around that long?? i had no idea

or you just rebarrel it or something?

very interesting

any idea who made it? how many they made? what's the model #?

constructor
February 3, 2009, 12:59 AM
I.T.S.- AR1 #002-70
Ever wonder where FN and Magpul got their ideas?

constructor
February 3, 2009, 01:15 AM
Just joking with ya...LOL

quicherbichen
February 7, 2009, 03:44 AM
I could order a SCAR for $2500 right now, but it just doesn't do anything for me at that price.

I wanted an XCR, the price was right at my limit, but robinson just seems to be a horribly run organization that can't come close to their own deadlines, they aren't getting my money either.

Ar15 it is.

SpeedAKL
February 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
Supply and demand, folks, supply and demand.

I wouldn't pay $4000 for a SCAR, no way, but the fact that they're moving on gunbroker shows that enough people are right now. Yes, it's expensive, but given the hype around the weapon and the Obama panic I'm sure they'll sell every one.

ny32182
February 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
Robinson holds their XCR deadlines better than Bushy/Magpul have with the ACR, and better than FN has with the SCAR.

H2O MAN
February 7, 2009, 04:15 PM
I would rather have this SCARô 17 Standard

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0109mb.png

Beren
March 6, 2009, 09:52 AM
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but the 17S is what I'm saving up for as well. I might pick up a 16S if prices come down any later this year, but otherwise, I have plenty of 5.56mm platforms already.

TehK1w1
March 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
The SCAR looks really neat...but I could get a NIB Merkel double rifle for less than that one that sold for 9k.

Rubber_Duck
March 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm with you on that one H2O MAN, 7.62mm is my cup of tea. :)

2RCO
March 28, 2009, 02:56 AM
Went to local dealer he got a SCAR in today. This guy doesn't usually gouge but he isn't a moron either so he is asking $5,800. I held it and thought for a split second about buying it. Then I realized that for that I can by 4 Overpriced AR's and it just isn't there. I'd give him 3k but 5,800 no way! With them going for 5k + on GB he'll get his asking and make a few bucks.

phm14
April 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
I've been looking at piston 556s for a few years now. At the moment, the SCAR and MR556 are interesting, but I'm still in line with others-at these prices ($4K+ on GB as of now), I'll be sticking with my AR.

Eb1
April 26, 2009, 10:42 PM
For the price of a SCAR, you could(or be close to) get a Class 3, and start shooting FA with a FA_AR-15. Could you not?

MGD 45
April 26, 2009, 11:50 PM
I just saw one on the shelf at a local gun store in Columbus, Ga. They had a sticker on it of $5900......great looking gun.....but that's just too high for my wallet.

Jaws
April 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
Don't confuse the gougers price with what FN is actually asking for one.

THe SCAR is here to stay and the prices WILL go down.

Christof60
April 27, 2009, 03:29 PM
I found a place that had them advertised for $2979 and saw what they were selling on GB for.... So I buy one, sale goes thru, get receipt....
Now today, the gundealer (pretty big dealer) sends me an email saying "item you purchased is not available this year" and "sale refunded".... ***???

They supposedly had several of these in their store.... I have a feeling they got wind of what they were selling for, and now of course will sell for double what I "paid" for on their site.... That is soooooo wrong...

Being out of stock before you can update your site is one thing, but having the sale actually go thru, then come back and say they arent available "this year" is as BS as it gets.... :fire:

phm14
April 27, 2009, 08:14 PM
Which dealer, and where? Don't want to make the same mistake.

If you enjoyed reading about "Civilian FN SCAR 16S Now for sale!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!