TX question

PDA

BlkHawk73
September 25, 2003, 10:51 PM
My in-laws moved to TX earlier this year. My father in alws wants a mil-spec 1911. He won't spend the $ to buy a quality model and rather settle for a cheap make. He also is planning on getting a TX carry permit and buy a carry gun - again he'll skimp on qulaity to save $. He's told me that in TX you first find the pistol you want, fill out papers and bring them to the local police dept. After 3 days, you return to the shop w/ the papers and then do the transaction. I thought about giving him the $ to buy a beter quality model but he wouldn't take it if offered anyways. Since I'm not a TX resident and 1/2 way across the country, I can't exactly go there and buy one for him. So...how could I go about buying the pistol myself where I live and getting it to him in TX. I suppose I could wait 'til he comes to visit and give it to him then or wait until 12/04 and bring it to him. Ideas?

He will NOT spend the $ himself regardless of any circumstances, so making the purchase myself is the only possibility. (he has other guns and is a former green or maybe red beret from Vietnam, a business owner with no problems clearing a NICS check so that's not the issue at all)

If you enjoyed reading about "TX question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burrhead
September 25, 2003, 11:36 PM
There is no gun registration or waiting period in Texas. No hustling papers to the police department. If a person has a CHL ( takes about two months more or less) there's no NICS. Sounds like he needs to get a better source of information.

JohnKSa
September 26, 2003, 01:00 AM
Find the pistol you want in a shop.

Fill out the yellow sheet.

Wait for the NICS (usually 10 minutes or less)**

Fork over money.

Take gun & leave.

**With CHL leave out this step.

Detritus
September 26, 2003, 08:32 AM
want to reiterate NO WAITING PERIOD.

unless some CITY ordnance requires it, and i don't even think Austin is THAT screwy (even with a concentration of ninnies like that one you;d be hard pressed to get THAT passed).

as has been stated, teh process is.. find gun, fill out form, wait for NICS check or show CHL, give dealer money, walk out door with gun.

sounds like maybe you dad-in-law has texas confused with someplce else. where'd they move from??

Double Naught Spy
September 26, 2003, 10:19 AM
I am thinking your relative moved someplace else and is just telling you it is Texas. Maybe he set up a PO Box or address in Texas to which you can send money and that money forward to where he is elsewhere that has the messed up laws like he is described. Do you think you could convince him to take away my in-laws who actually do live in Texas.

TarpleyG
September 26, 2003, 12:22 PM
I must have read a different post than everyone else. Right, no waiting period or PD trips, etc., etc. for TX CHL holders but he asked how to give a gun as a gift to the FIL in TX and he is elsewhere.

You need to buy it where you are and ship via FFL either directly to him if your FFL will/can do that or from your FFL to an FFL inTX. This will still require cooperation from "Dad" no matter how you do it. What makes you think he will accept a gun when he wouldn't take the money for the difference that you offered?

GT

El Tejon
September 26, 2003, 12:27 PM
Ummm, BlkHwk, you sure about the whole pistol buying procedure down there?

I was at McBride's Gun in Austin this spring and people were walking out the door with them the same day (after paying, of course:D).

Why does he feel it imperative to trust his life to a cheap pistol?

As to interstate transfers, have your Class 1 call his Class 1.:)

Daniel T
September 26, 2003, 04:28 PM
unless some CITY ordnance requires it, and i don't even think Austin is THAT screwy (even with a concentration of ninnies like that one you;d be hard pressed to get THAT passed).

Holy crap I get tired of hearing about all the supposed liberals in Austin. It's like there can't be a thread about Texas without someone taking a swipe at Austin. Yeah, there are liberals here, so the hell what. They don't do anything except whine about salamanders and trees. I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

The aforementioned McBride's gun shop in Austin is one of the top 20 highest volume sellers of guns in the US. I wonder how they manage that with all the liberals here?

You also may want to check some election results before tarring a place with the "liberal" tag. Here's a link (http://204.65.104.19/elchist.exe) for you. Houston has way, way more liberals than Austin. So does a place called Dallas County. Huh.

Sorry to unload on you, Detritus, since you're far from the only person on this board that does it. However, it gets real old.

BlkHawk73
September 26, 2003, 05:59 PM
Thanx fellas. I was pretty sure he had been misinformed but had to check first. He moved from NYC so any ability to buy a handgun is new to him.;) I'm also pretty sure

I am thinking your relative moved someplace else and is just telling you it is Texas.
No, I'm pretty sure I was in TX when I visited there last week. It was only a 20 min drive to Houston:rolleyes:

Why does he feel it imperative to trust his life to a cheap pistol?

He's not against the priceier pistols. He just has the mindset that they're not worth it and the cheaper ones will be just as good.

I'll wait and see what happens.

El Tejon
September 26, 2003, 09:06 PM
"Not worth it"??? Does he understand the function of a pistol?:confused:

Blkhwk, my friend, you have some work ahead!:D

alamo
September 26, 2003, 11:46 PM
There are no city ordinances in Texas that can override state law on buying guns. As previously stated, walk in the shop, pick out your gun, fill out the paperwork, they run a background check while you're there, pay them and walk out with your pistol.

Sounds like way too much trouble for you to buy one, ship it to an FFL to transfer to your Dad (with FFL fee). Best solution is to tell him how easy it is to buy a gun in Texas and prod him to do it himself. Second best solution is to accompany him to the gunshop yourself next time you're in town visiting and show him how easy it is.

Demise - I live in Austin too. I just go to McBrides to look. Best places in Austin to buy guns is Heritage Firearms or Cost + 10%. McBrides is just too high for me. The monthly gunshow is sometimes worthwhile too.

DWS1117
September 27, 2003, 02:10 AM
BlkHawk73

Whats wrong with a Mil-spec 1911? If that's what he is used to from his military days and used to them what's the problem?

Sure, they are not a Wilson, Baer, Brown, Valtro, etc. but they are functional, durable, and accurate enough unless he is planning on competition.

As stated, It is easy to get a gun down here. The NICS checks have even gotten faster. I used to get a hold because of my last name and would have to wait anywhere from 6 hours to the full 3 days. But, the last 3 guns bought I was in the store, shopped around, visited a little, made the purchase, and was out of the place in less than an hour.

I apologize if this came of as harsh towards you. That was not the intention.

BlkHawk73
September 27, 2003, 12:04 PM
Whats wrong with a Mil-spec 1911? If that's what he is used to from his military days and used to them what's the problem?

Nothing at all. He would rather buy a surplus Argentine made model than spend a bit more to get a Springfield or similar quality model.

Second best solution is to accompany him to the gunshop yourself next time you're in town visiting and show him how easy it is.

That's not until 12/04. I'll think of something.

Detritus
September 28, 2003, 01:26 AM
Sorry to unload on you, Detritus, since you're far from the only person on this board that does it. However, it gets real old.

No prob, i keep forgetting to engauge the "make this SOUND as tongue in cheek as i mean it" switch..

I live about an hour from Houston, i KNOW what kind of BS that place if full of. Austin i think gets a bad rep because everyone likes to blame the state capital (city) when the politi-critters act without rational thought.

sorry to have dropped the straw :) was just using Austin as an example, mainly becuase it DOES have a well known rep, and it's far enough away that i did/do not know for sure what the gun laws are there.

all i know is that i've lived in three states (NC, MS. TX) since i "came of age" in relation to buying guns, and Texas is the most "friendly" about it that i've encountered.

and that's not even counting the fact that concealed carry IS legal here, and all the nice little things THAT allows with regard to maintaining 2A rights :D.

Daniel T
September 29, 2003, 12:07 PM
From alamo:
Demise - I live in Austin too. I just go to McBrides to look. Best places in Austin to buy guns is Heritage Firearms or Cost + 10%. McBrides is just too high for me. The monthly gunshow is sometimes worthwhile too.

Oh, I'd never buy a gun from McBride's, but I do go there to look. It's like a free museum! :)

I actually do all my buying from Jim at Detection, Inc. He's got a little cost + 10% store on Burnet Lane, right behind Burnet Road near Justin Lane. His cost +10% is cheaper than Heritage's cost+10. I got a Mauser M2 from Jim for $374. It was $410 from Heritage, so I do all my buying from Jim. Plus, his ammo prices are the lowest I've seen outside a gunshow. S&B .45 for $8.50, for example.

From Detritus:
sorry to have dropped the straw :) was just using Austin as an example, mainly becuase it DOES have a well known rep, and it's far enough away that i did/do not know for sure what the gun laws are there.

Don't worry about it, I was just feeling ornery. :) Rest assured, gun laws in Austin are the same as in the rest of the state. In fact, the only 30.06 signs I've seen are at hospitals. Most of the real hippy liberals are too dumb to know that "No guns allowed" signs mean absolutely nothing.

El Tejon
September 29, 2003, 12:14 PM
Did not see a single .30-'06 sign in Austin this spring. I was around downtown though. Speaking of museums did not see an '06 sign in the state museum either.

I wanted to go to the Capitol building but lots of sour-faced state po-po looking all mall ninjy. Went for sushi instead.:D

Jeff OTMG
September 30, 2003, 09:38 PM
For you guys in Austin, you can get guns cheaper from a distributor and do the transfer through Alan at Sprinco. www.sprinco.com He charges $20 for the transfer, $15 if you have a CHL. That is less than the tax you would pay on most guns anywhere else.

sm
September 30, 2003, 11:05 PM
Well when a daughter of a friend left here with a resident license to attend college in TX, daddy called a dealer, set up the non-res FL class, res TX class and explained the gun and the mods. (trigger smooth, reliable feed, sights etc.) Gave his CC # and daughter got a phone call from the gunstore . She did all the req. paperwork, classes and stuff to keep legal, daddy just had it prepaid.

Daddy and daughter fought over his Commander size 1911, she preferred it to her first CCW a J frame. Daddy just protecting his bacon and favorite CCW. Figured since she won a scholorship for PhD...money saved could buy the gift. :D

Dealer enjoys getting calls from Daddy, daughter enjoys getting calls from dealer...Mom doesn't have to shop, wrap, mail gifts...everybody happy...

If you enjoyed reading about "TX question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!