FFL - how do you get started?

PDA

jlg
January 7, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm trying to open a small outdoors/gun store in Northern Mississippi. I own a Florida based corporation that I plan on running this business through.

To start with I plan on running the business out of a shop I've built next to my home...in the future, if business does well, I'll buy/build a larger office away from my home.

How do I get started? There are several FFL kit websites, but they all read like they're some sort of scam. I want to make sure I do everything right and legal.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL - how do you get started?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trebor
January 7, 2009, 01:46 AM
The "FFL kits" are a scam.

Go to the ATF website and request the application for a Type 01 FFL.

That's the standard dealer FFL.

I believe you can request the application on-line and have it sent to you. The aplication itself is no longer on-line.

When you get the application, read it through thoroughly a couple times.

The big hang up for many people who wish to get a FFL is zoning.

You have to specific a specific address for your "licensed premises." The "licensed premises" is the physical location that is the ONLY location where you are licensed to conduct business (except for gun shows).

The ATF requires that your licensed premises be in compliance with all local zoning laws and they do check before approving the application.

If you are in an area zoned commercial, or are otherwise legal to conduct a business in that area, then you are good to go in that respect.

Do a search here, btw, the topic has come up a bunch of times and there's lot's of great info in the threads.

Hoppy590
January 7, 2009, 01:57 AM
The big hang up for many people who wish to get a FFL is zoning.

You have to specific a specific address for your "licensed premises." The "licensed premises" is the physical location that is the ONLY location where you are licensed to conduct business (except for gun shows).

The ATF requires that your licensed premises be in compliance with all local zoning laws and they do check before approving the application.

If you are in an area zoned commercial, or are otherwise legal to conduct a business in that area, then you are good to go in that respect.

bingo. the zoning and local ordnances are the issue. the BATFE will not grant you the FFL until you abide by the local laws.

also the BATFE asks you have established hours of business. but you can just say "by appointment" ( i had a chat with my local shop about this, seems the BATFE can get picky )

jlg
January 7, 2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks. I've tried searching this forum...I figured it had to have come up once or twice before...but I wasn't able to find anything. I'm fairly new to the forum, I may not be searching correctly.

Does anyone know if there would be any hangup running a Mississippi FFL through a Florida Corporation?

Trebor
January 7, 2009, 02:03 AM
I don't know about running a Mississippi FFL through a Florida corporation.

Even if the ATF allows that, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You'd be putting the Florida corp on the hook for any liabilities generated by the FFL business.

Check with the ATF for a definite answer. Me, I'd just create a corp in Mississippi just for the FFL business.

jlg
January 7, 2009, 02:13 AM
By the way...thanks for tying my two posts together. For some reason I couldn't find my original post so I started another one.

Bubba613
January 7, 2009, 07:46 AM
I wouldnt think that would be a problem. You would probably have to register with the MS Secy of State as a foreign corporation. Other than that it shouldnt be an issue.

jlg
January 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
There are two reason's I'm planning on using my Florida Corporation.
1) It's already established...I don't have to pay the money or go through the process to start another one.
2) Florida doesn't have state taxes.

I've sold the previous business that I ran through this corporation so I'm not worried about liability issues so much.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL - how do you get started?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!