What's the story behind your screen name?

PDA

Abominable No-Man
September 26, 2003, 01:33 AM
Hello guys,

Was reading through a bunch of threads and started wondering how all of us picked some of our screen names. Some are kind of easy to figure out-
"glockten", i.e. "Glock ten-millimeter", or "okiecruffler", i.e. "a resident of oklahoma who has a curio & relic FFL", etc.

Seeing as how some of us are meeting for the first time, thought it would be fun to hear if there are any stories behind the names. Mine is pretty funny, or was at the time (kind of a had-to-be-there thing). My son was just learning to speak in coherent sentences, and one time while I was waiting for "Tales of the Gun" to come on the history channel there was some kind of special about mythic beasts, and the part we were watching was "The Abominable Snowman". Well, he mangled it, and my wife thought it was pretty funny, so it became the household joke for a while.

ANM

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the story behind your screen name?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Graystar
September 26, 2003, 01:37 AM
"Graystar" is the name of a town in a novel. There happens to be no actual town or city or location of that name, so Graystar is really no place, which is sorta where cyberspace is.

Daedalus
September 26, 2003, 01:40 AM
Famous greek architect and inventor of myth. I used to be into greek mythology a lot and this handle is the one ive been using for years.

fourdeuce82d
September 26, 2003, 01:44 AM
"Four Deuce" is the informal name of the 107mm. Heavy Mortar that was in service with the US military (army at least) from around WWI up through the mid 80's. "82d" is the number of the division I served with (80-83) as a mortar maggot firing those beasts.

Real men shoot sidearms whose diameters in millimeters exceed 100 millimeters.

Carrying the thing concealed is difficult, and the recoil is a tad stiff...but us ex-Airborne types manage.

*grin*

DWS1117
September 26, 2003, 01:52 AM
Mine is a combination of my initials and my son's birthday.

Hkmp5sd
September 26, 2003, 01:57 AM
My favorite subgun.

pax
September 26, 2003, 01:58 AM
"pax" is the Latin word for "peace." I've used it or a near-variant for years, and chose it because I really need a constant reminder to be more of a peace maker than I am by nature. It's also appropriate because I believe that without armed citizens willing and able to do violence on its behalf, no nation experiences peace for very long.

pax

Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

doctorhumbert
September 26, 2003, 02:02 AM
I am a huge Nabokov fan. Thus my name.

Hkmp5sd
September 26, 2003, 02:04 AM
a constant reminder to be more of a peace maker than I am by nature

Impossible. You are already one of the calmest, level headed persons I've come across. :)

Sean Cloherty
September 26, 2003, 02:11 AM
It's my real name. I got tire of my screen name when I was on TFL so I turned into me when I got here.

Wildalaska
September 26, 2003, 02:20 AM
Im a meek and quiet guy from Rhode Island

WildhencethenameAlaska

Orthonym
September 26, 2003, 02:21 AM
many-multi-page thread on this subject here already? I think I saw it when I joined up, but I guess it's sunk to the bottom of the popularity queue. I'll start looking for it now:)

HogRider
September 26, 2003, 02:23 AM
I ride a Harley - therefore the name. I wanted to sign up with my usual name HogRider, which I use at most other forums, but it gave me an error, as if the name was already taken. hm :confused:

Fly Navy
September 26, 2003, 02:27 AM
Easy, I'm a Student Naval Aviator :D

Sisco
September 26, 2003, 02:28 AM
Sisco because it's my last name and what all my friends call me.

Orthonym
September 26, 2003, 02:29 AM
" Tell me the meaning of your screen name" , thread started by arinvolvo on June 9th, 2003 at 10:46 am. Moderators please merge!

geegee
September 26, 2003, 02:32 AM
During the 1970's, I played college football for The University of Ottawa, in Ottawa Ontario. In 1975 we went undefeated and won the Canadian College National Championship (The College Bowl).

The name of the team? What else? The Gee Gee's. It's a combination of the school colors-garnet and gray-and also a French Canadian pet name for a team of horses. If I could figure out how to post a picture of the team logo here, I would. It's a horse's head with a kind of "flaming mane" coming off his head. geegee

longtom4570
September 26, 2003, 02:37 AM
I own an 1873 Springfield trapdoor that was made in 1883 it went to Cuba with the Nebraska National Guard :cool: but it has a gouge in the barrel so no collecter value:fire: the trapdoor was called longtom by some, so thats how i came up with my name

Jim March
September 26, 2003, 04:30 AM
It's on my driver's license...easy to remember.

:D

Pinned&Recessed
September 26, 2003, 04:44 AM
Mine is the best features on S&W sixguns. Too bad they stopped including them in 1983.:(

chaim
September 26, 2003, 05:07 AM
It's part of my Hebrew name (I sometimes use Chaim Dov on forums but I think Chaim works better).

As for pronouciation:
Chai is "hi" but with a gutteral "H" sound. The im sound is more or less as the "im" is pronounced in the word "him". Putting it together= "hi-im".

New_comer
September 26, 2003, 05:45 AM
I was new to handguns then... ;)

BluesBear
September 26, 2003, 06:07 AM
My real name is Bear and back in the early 80s, when I was playing bass for The Moonglows, Harvey was aways kidding me for listening to old blues records. So when he introduced the band he started calling me The BluesBear. I still play & sing the blues.

Brian Dale
September 26, 2003, 06:27 AM
I got my screen name from one of Dr.Rob's posts in a thread at TFL, entitled "Your Pistol Reflects Your Personality." I use it with Dr.Rob's permission, since he invented the character. Read the thread; you might be there, too! (ummm, LANGUAGE ALERT! for some other posts in that thread)

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=32850
Happy Bob: Bob doesn't care if he hits or misses; he's just happy to smell the sweet scent of gunpowder and cordite. Bob's sense of smell does not apply to himself, though, as he sweats profusely and blinks unerringly at you moon-faced behind wired-rimmed glasses. But he has a LOT of guns and will let your kid SHOOT THEM ALL. You can make Bob's acquaintance by buying him a coke. It's fairly close. I do try to hit, though, :D and I only sweat like that when I'm wearing turnout gear (volunteer) or a shooting coat for Highpower (extreme novice, but I REALLY enjoy it).

furetto7
September 26, 2003, 06:35 AM
My wife and I are owned by a number of ferrets and one of my hobbies is restoring a FIAT sports car, in Italian ferret is furetto, and we had seven ferrets when I first started using the name.

MagKnightX
September 26, 2003, 07:28 AM
I just sort of picked my name out of thin air about six years ago. I have been using it for my email and sn's since then.

redneck2
September 26, 2003, 08:16 AM
Well, I'm a redneck2

Actually, I have a Bachelor's degree in MET from Purdue and have a successful career as a sales professional. New cars, two boats with a really nice lakefront home. However...since these boards are the area that I can kick back and be "normal", it's where I get to be down to earth.

repsychler
September 26, 2003, 08:27 AM
Mine is from a video game, don't ask me which one, I don't remember. :)

DorGunR
September 26, 2003, 08:37 AM
I was a helicopter crew member in Nam, for three years and my handle tells you my job.;)

1911sr
September 26, 2003, 08:56 AM
Mine means 1911 Schmidt Rubin, the rifle that's my favourite of all the ones I shoot. 1911 is the year they first made this model.

:^)

FPrice
September 26, 2003, 09:05 AM
FPrice started out life as a very young child in the streets of East Hartford.

From there, the story gets interesting. Very, very interesting.

AR-15Nutt
September 26, 2003, 09:08 AM
need more info ??

Joe Demko
September 26, 2003, 09:27 AM
Hitman character in a long-running manga. Favors custom M-16's and S&W revos. Devoid of human sentiment.

Dorrin79
September 26, 2003, 10:47 AM
mine is a character in a book I liked alot.

I ended up using it as my username in various forums and online games, and it kinda stuck with me.

Pain
September 26, 2003, 10:52 AM
I have Quite a few Tatoos, I got when I was young and stupid. When I went to Mexico With my Wife on My honeymoon, The Waiters kept calling me "Senor Dolor" Mr. Pain ... I came Back And told some of my friends about it and they just started Calling me Pain.....

Pappy John
September 26, 2003, 10:53 AM
Its just what the two grand-munchkins call me. I'm not that old though ......really ..........REALLY!!!!

OEF_VET
September 26, 2003, 10:56 AM
I'm a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom. I started using this s/n while playing several online games like Delat Force: Task Force Dagger, and it stuck.

Frank

Pheonix
September 26, 2003, 11:02 AM
I named myself after my dog!:uhoh:

Werewolf
September 26, 2003, 11:09 AM
While Serving in the NAVY I wore a full beard. My beard if not trimmed rides very high up on my cheeks - almost to my eyes. I picked up the moniker Wolf then and that's what I was called.

Getting on the internet years later and needing a nickname I just naturally chose Wolf. But that name is usually already taken everywhere I go. Werewolf usually isn't. Then there's the whole human to beast and back again thing that Werewolves have and that kinda describes my personality somewhat. So Werwolf is what I use.

jimpeel
My name is Jim Peel but my friends call me Jimpeel

Zach S
First name, last initial. Someone with 3 posts screwed me out of what i was going to use (Zach, my sn at 1911forum).

The story? My father gave it to me. Other than my last name, its the only thing the sonofabitch ever gave me. Oh well, what doesnt kill us makes us stronger.

Daniel T
September 26, 2003, 11:12 AM
Mine is from a character in a series of books called Wildcards. I started using it on BBS's way back when I was barely a snot-nosed teenager, and I've been using it ever since.

Trigger
September 26, 2003, 11:14 AM
Could figure out which one to post this in, there's another thread similar to this below. (Whats the meaning of your screen name.)

I love my dog, her name is Trigger.

Hey, it worked for Indianna Jones didn't it....:D :rolleyes:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pe124b89b9cda4013869573118fce072a/fafc3e88.jpg

fiVe
September 26, 2003, 11:22 AM
The first letter of my last name is a V, which is also a Roman numeral 5 (I mean V).

fiVe

10-Ring
September 26, 2003, 11:38 AM
It's the name I use on other boards :)

Plus, Skunkabilly was taken...Ree Haw! :D

Henry Bowman
September 26, 2003, 11:45 AM
If you've read "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross, you know.

If not, you should (read it).

Rebel Gunman HK
September 26, 2003, 11:46 AM
Well I am rebelious for some reason. Dont much care for most of the stupid laws and other rules forced on us from the Government. I am not an anarchist. I have lots of guns. And I love my Hk USP's! :evil: Rawk on!!!

BHPshooter
September 26, 2003, 11:47 AM
Well, when I first got into the "internet scene" I was quite young -- like pre-teen young. So, my friends and I all had funny names, usually related somehow to funny bodily noises. So I picked Thefumegator. Now that I'm older, I don't like it much, but that's what people know me by, so that's pretty much what I use everywhere I go on the 'net.

Wes

Hazwaste
September 26, 2003, 11:52 AM
Short for Hazardous Waste. I've worked in chemical plants all of my adult life, and it's been my handle since I started using BBSes in 1986.

Bigjake
September 26, 2003, 11:57 AM
umm.... mines easy. middle name "jacob", and jake stuck better than my firstname. that and i'm a big burly guy. so that is where "Bigjake" comes from.

CZ-100
September 26, 2003, 12:06 PM
Mine is the last Gun purchased before joining the site.

ARperson
September 26, 2003, 12:07 PM
was known by a variant of ARperson on two other boards. got kicked off one for not following the party line and for speaking the truth. am fed up with the other one for becoming exactly what the first one was. had positions of authority on both and it caused more headaches than it was worth. decided new board, new name, less obvious who i'd be so i can just be a member who enjoys others and their company. if you knew me from the other boards it would make a lot more sense. but since i don't want you to....:D

cslinger
September 26, 2003, 12:09 PM
I have done some fiction writing and some writing for a couple of role playing games released by Palladium books.

One of the books I have written was for the RIFTS RPG and was called the New West. It was sort of a post apocalyptic futuristic old west.

Anyway there are these denizins that are cyborg gunslingers. They are known as cyberslingers or Cslingers for short.

I have only been on two other boards where I had to use Cslinger23 or 2 or whatever so since it usually is open for use I stick with it. Besides it fits the shooting motif rather well.

So I became Cslinger and the wife, well she is Sheslinger.....do the math.

Chris

duckfoot
September 26, 2003, 12:09 PM
Worked with some royal marines a few years back and it’s a nickname that all marines of all countries are called or so I was told.

Mud stompers, grunts, crunchies, duckfeet, bullet sponge, waffle makers (not sure where this one came from, I thought they were boots,) death from the sea, legs (or so says the Airborne HA,) human pack animals, gun toten sea apes, etc…..

I just picked the less harsh sounding one.

Orbital-Burn
September 26, 2003, 12:17 PM
cool name I made up that noone has a variant on

Balog
September 26, 2003, 12:32 PM
Balog is the name of a character in an incredibly wanky video game called, I believe, "The Lost Vikings." My wife LOVES this game for some odd reason. When I told a good friend of this one day, he mocked me for a while [good naturedly, of course:) ]. Later that same day, I had to pick a name for a character in a RPG we were playing in. I chose Balog as a joke. It's just stuck around since then.

762x51
September 26, 2003, 12:41 PM
I just banged my head on the keyboard and this is what came out.

;)

TheEgg
September 26, 2003, 12:49 PM
I am:

White.
Rounded in shape.
Bald.

Thus -- TheEgg :D

Hemicuda
September 26, 2003, 01:09 PM
the Plymouth 'Cuda (model of Barracuda)?

Ever hear of the famed Chrysler Hemi engine?

I have a 1970 model year of this car, known as a Hemi'Cuda... it's VERY rare, and most close to me knoiw of my love for this perticular model of car... so, Hemicuda it is!

Teufelhunden
September 26, 2003, 01:43 PM
THe origin of my handle can be found here. (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blmarinelegends.htm)

-Teuf

spacemanspiff
September 26, 2003, 01:54 PM
calvin & hobbes

buzz_knox
September 26, 2003, 02:03 PM
Long story short: On my first trip as an attorney, I was checking some property and stirred up a nest of yellowjackets. I declared an expletive, and broke the land speed record for an unaugmented animal. The attorney I was with was a joker, and told everyone that I had been scared off by a couple of leafs rubbing together making a "buzzing" sound. Hence, the nickname "Buzz."

When I first went on-line, I knew no one outside my group would be able to associate that nickname with me, so I took it and added the county I worked in, but didn't live in at the time, and created "buzz_knox."

zastros
September 26, 2003, 02:05 PM
My brother was at an art fair and this one stand was giving away FREE stuff(I think frisbees and little coolers or somesuch). But you had to sign up for a credit card. He came up with the name "Bob Zastro" and told them it was bogus and that he just wanted the free stuff. They didn't care. They got paid by the form, apparently. He forgets all about it until a credit card shows up at his house made out to "Zastro" . [yikes] For awhile there we were known as the Zastro brothers.

jrhead75
September 26, 2003, 02:16 PM
A play on the term "Jarhead" (which I was), with my first 2 initials (JR), and the year I went into the Marine Corps (75).

Ah well, seemed witty at the time... :uhoh:

SAG0282
September 26, 2003, 02:24 PM
Siegfried= first name

Geringer= last name

:)

Black92LX
September 26, 2003, 02:26 PM
i drive a black 92 LX mustang. easy as that

Ala Dan
September 26, 2003, 02:33 PM
Greeting's All-

Well, mine is quite simple. You see, my first name is Dan
and I'm from Alabama; thus you have Ala Dan.:D
But, I'm a TENNESSEE VOL FAN !:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

AUTIGER04
September 26, 2003, 02:52 PM
AUBURN TIGER 04.:D

ps Ala Dan,

WAR EAGLE!! We'll see you Vols next week. Dont hurt us to bad.;)

CZ52GUY
September 26, 2003, 02:56 PM
My CZ52' was the first firearm I ever "personalized" with aftermarket accessories... www.makarov.com

I invested a fair amount of time, and a bit of cash, and found it to be well worth the reward.

Also, I find a sort of kinship with this weapon which is old, considered ugly by some, but absolutely lethal :D

CZ52'

sandy4570
September 26, 2003, 02:57 PM
Sandy is my sister's teddy bear 's name and I want to get 4570 someday when I can afford to buy lot of 4570 bullets for reload.

Felonious Monk
September 26, 2003, 03:42 PM
I have no earthly idea.

...but my profile might shed some light on it. Or, not.

Felonious Monk
September 26, 2003, 03:45 PM
Wait--yes I do:

Because Fignozzle has already been done.

wingnutx
September 26, 2003, 04:14 PM
"Wingnut" is my nickname in r/l, mostly with my navy buddies. I just slapped the 'x' on the end to avoid duplication with any other wingnuts out there.

My CC in bootcamp called me wingnut one day, being very similar to my given name, and it stuck. 15 years later it's still my nickname.

Hot brass
September 26, 2003, 04:16 PM
When I shoot my guns throw hotbrass...............:neener:

brownie0486
September 26, 2003, 04:18 PM
jrhead75 :

Semper Fi.

I take the name from my nickname and the number is a play on my primary MOS in the Corps from 69-71

Brownie

Correia
September 26, 2003, 04:19 PM
It is my last name. Pronounced Korea, like the country.

Fed168
September 26, 2003, 04:39 PM
I really enjoy to shoot rifles- .308s, with 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match.

semf
September 26, 2003, 04:43 PM
When I was a kid I hated baths, my mother would have to chase me and/or threaten me to get me in the tub add that to the fact that I played in the dirt alot , and because Pigpen was taken by Charlie Brown's friend, my Grandfather started calling me "Dirty Jap". That was deemed too offensive by the moderators (probably rightfully so, although they changed their mind after I gave a explanation) so I chose an acronym that definetly is offensive as an inside joke between me and my son. This is a phrase that both of us have actually been called.

gulogulo1970
September 26, 2003, 05:02 PM
My gulogulo1970 comes from Gulo gulo, the scientific name of the wolverine, the largest of the weasel family. I've always admired the fierce qualities of that animal. They have ran off animals many times their own wieght and killed animals as massive as elk. As a biologist I always liked scientific names. Plus, I like the Michigan Wolverines football team. 1970 is the year of my birth.

omega5
September 26, 2003, 05:28 PM
Mine's my call sign from VietNam

olyAR73
September 26, 2003, 05:41 PM
I like to shoot an Olympic Arms AR-15A2 w/match bbl and Ive been around sinc '73. Howdy.:)

3 gun
September 26, 2003, 06:04 PM
3 gun= rifle, pistol, shotgun. Shoot all three, have mastered none.

SDC
September 26, 2003, 06:11 PM
Just my initials, that's all :)

pignock
September 26, 2003, 06:42 PM
my last name is pennock and pignock is as close as my granddaughter used to be able pronounce it.

RocketMan
September 26, 2003, 06:42 PM
Among other things I am into High Power Sport Rocketry, hence "RocketMan".

(NAR Level 2 Certified.)

Edit:
For Duckfoot, Brownie, jrhead75, et al: I was one of Uncle Sam's Missguided Children as well, '74 thru '80 including a little time in the reserves.
Semper Fi gentlemen.

CTI1USNRET
September 26, 2003, 06:55 PM
Cryptologic Technician Interpreter (Russian and Serbo-Croatian) First Class United States Navy Retired

Monkeyleg
September 26, 2003, 07:22 PM
When I was about 7, a birth mark began to form on my leg. By the time I was of the age where girls became interesting, my entire leg was covered in thick, black hair. I gave myself the nickname "Monkeyleg" as a form of self-deprecating humor. It was also to be the title of my first novel, which I have yet to write.

Curiously, the birth mark went away after I got married. I've always wondered if it wasn't some sort of God-given form of birth control. ;)

Rockrivr1
September 26, 2003, 07:34 PM
The name is from my old squadron while I was in the Navy aboard the USS Midway. VF-161 Rock River was the squadron identifier. VF-161 along with it's sister squadron VF-151 was the last active F-4 squadron based on a carrier. When looking for a permanent screen name I chose this variation of me former military days.

.45FMJoe
September 26, 2003, 07:59 PM
I wanted something new and nifty. I had always used Groove76 from my freshman in high school days of playing the game Interstate '76. Anyone remember that one?

So anyway, I wanted to use my favorite caliber and my name. So I started brainstorming and it hit me. Everyone knows what an FMJ round is, and it fit with my name - Joe. Thus, .45FMJoe;) :)

Stoney
September 26, 2003, 08:10 PM
Stoney was my dad's nickname. I honor him.

LeonCarr
September 26, 2003, 08:23 PM
Leon Carr was the name of a convicted felon's brother. This convicted felon would yell "Leon Carr" at the top of his lungs all day and all night at the prison I worked at when I was a Correctional Officer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Gator
September 26, 2003, 08:41 PM
Well I had to pick something and, as I had slipped in some "gator leavings" at work that day, I even smelled the part.

Blueduck
September 26, 2003, 08:48 PM
From Lonesome Dove.

Liked the book, but the movie just seemed so sappy to me I took the name of the indian who kindly eliminated a number of annoying characters ;)

Chris Rhines
September 26, 2003, 08:58 PM
My parents gave me mine.

- Chris

jrhead75
September 26, 2003, 09:14 PM
Brownie...Semper Fi Bro!

Standing Wolf
September 26, 2003, 09:23 PM
I used to be known as "Hopping Up and Down and Twitching and Tapping and Wiggling Wolf" until I went on Ritalin.

jercamp45
September 26, 2003, 10:05 PM
Jrhead75, duckfoote and Brownie! Semper Fi....did a few years as a jarhead myself!
first three initials of my first name, first four off my last and two of my favorite numbers. Been using it for five years or so....just simplifies life and things to remember for a middleaged grumpy old grunt.....
Jercamp45

Missouri Mule
September 26, 2003, 10:24 PM
Simple, Born and raised in Missouri..... and
I am told I'm stubborn as an old Missouri Mule.....

Med 10
September 26, 2003, 10:44 PM
Call sign of the first rescue unit I worked on straight out of paramedic school.

Pain
September 26, 2003, 11:57 PM
gulogulo1970

Way off topic but did you like the movie Red Dawn???? Wolverines !!!!!!!

boltaction
September 27, 2003, 12:10 AM
Just like my Mosin-Nagants. Even though my Springfield mil-spec 1911 is currently my favorite to shoot, and my .454 Casull is literally a blast... then there is the Glock. Glocks r fun. And who doesn't like shooting .357 revolver? I know I am leaving a few out here, BUT, ya gotta love shootin a M-N. Especially the M-44, spittin fire. Fun Boltactions.

Boltaction

Mike Irwin
September 27, 2003, 12:29 AM
Mike Irwin...

Pretty simple, really.

That's the name that my parents gave me when I was born.

Well, not exactly.

It's Michael Robert Irwin, but hey, I don't need to be quite so formal when I'm amongst friends..

Bowlcut
September 27, 2003, 12:37 AM
Guy in my freshman football team said it looked like someone cut my hair with a bowl on it. so bowlcut stuck.... a few cutties call me bowlly, bowl head or the such. most the time its bowl tho. have had the nickname for over 10 years now and most everyone back home only know me by it. i even had teachers that knew me from aroudn the halls haveing to ask what my real name was. got to college and it kinda went a way with those guys, but old friends still call me it

Freedspeak
September 27, 2003, 01:18 AM
Been a tad hyper since a young'un and I speak my mind, so a play on words from a 60's term!:D

Also a l/L Libertarian!!!:evil:

Hypnogator
September 27, 2003, 01:30 AM
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was an investigative hypnotist. Hence the name.

I still hold a certificate in clinical hypnotherapy. Don't look me in the eyes! :D

hoppinglark
September 27, 2003, 02:52 AM
back in 1996 I was working as a First Aid Instructor at a Boy Scout Summer Camp. Some of the staff and I started our own Secret Society with an oath that was something like " I swear to remain ever vigilant in the mist of whiney campers and bitchy @$$ ScoutMasters" We did shots of Bourbon and joked, and made up our own tribal names for each other,
Hoppinglark was mine because i was so energenic and lively.
Boy Scouts shoot .22's this is firearms related!!!

my Marine Corps callsign is "SweetPea" but i don't use that too much....

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/slingshot70/images/broom.jpg

Sunray
September 27, 2003, 03:00 AM
'Sunray' is the call sign for any commander of a CF unit. I was and it's something I can remember.

tac17
September 27, 2003, 06:43 AM
It started out as a joke between me and a friend. He is in favor of stainless guns and I perfer the blued/parkerized variety. I would tell him that his guns would glow in the dark they were so shiny and he would say that I was just trying to be "tactical" with my black guns. For some reason that just popped into my head when registering. It is unfortunate though considering I have always loathed the word "tactical". :(

Ryder
September 27, 2003, 07:00 AM
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=509661

echo3mike
September 27, 2003, 07:29 AM
My call sign from a short stint as a ground-pounder.

echo-3: my rank at the time (E-3) ;
mike: first letter of my last name.

S.

12-34hom
September 27, 2003, 08:02 AM
12 = # of the county i live in here in Iowa.

34 = # given to me by the sheriffs department.

Hom = first three letters of my last name.

12-34hom.

Border
September 27, 2003, 08:54 AM
I love traditional archery! My bow is a Border "Black Douglas" made by Border Bows in Scotland. I began the journey across "the border" into a fullblown Second Amendment, Conservative, "gun nut" after learning in my Hunter Education class the outrageous fact that in my state (MA) it IS UP TO THE POLICE CHIEF as to whether you could obtain a concealed carry permit!!! This made me furious: the same rights and freedoms should belong to all of us law abiding citizens and not be subjucated to the arbitrary whim or reason of some authority figure!!! I had never even owned a gun before then! Now there is a "border" you can't cross with me: "from my cold dead hands!" and I now have many guns-and a concealed carry permit! :D

Steve

skynyrd1911
September 27, 2003, 10:56 AM
My favorite band and pistol of all time!!!!!!!!

Mike Irwin
September 27, 2003, 12:13 PM
Hey HoppingLark,

Another former First Aid Instructor for a Boy Scout summer camp here!

Had a kid in one of my classes who was quite the cut up. I threatened to strap him to a canvas stretcher and stand it in the corner if he didn't settle down.

He didn't, so with the rest of the class' help, including his brother, I did. :D

"Ok, class, now this is how you secure a sick or injured patient to a stretcher for transport over rough ground..." :D

The little puke is now a minister...

Schuey2002
September 27, 2003, 02:30 PM
It's the nickname of my favorite F1 driver (Besides, Schumey, his other nickname, sounds really stupid. Silly Germans, :rolleyes: ). Don't ask me why I added the date to the end of my username. I removed it for a brief period of time, and have since added it back on. [ I felt kinda/sorta naked with out it. :o ]

Detritus
September 27, 2003, 03:15 PM
Mine comes from the name of a Character in one of my favorite series of books.
first off he's a troll (no comment about the 'net meaning of that please) which in that series of books means he's a "silicon based life form, aka a walking, 7-8 foot tall, humaniod rock"

when he first appears, he works at the roughest bar in town as a "splatter" (like a bouncer but troll throw harder :evil: ) then heads off to try his luck in the local equivilent of hollywood (this fails he goes back to being a splatter).

then he becomes a policeman, winds up adopting a seige-bow (nicknamed "Piece maker") as a sidearm, and a helmet that "cools his head" so that his silicon based brain works better.

figured of all the the fictional characters i've come across he fit "me" best. big, dumb, exterior, hiding a fairly decent mind (he not dumb he just over heated :D ), a gentle person who when riled can cause havoc upon those who would do him or his firends and loved ones wrong.

oldfart
September 27, 2003, 10:35 PM
Those who have met me have no difficulty figuring out why I picked my screen-name.

I'm 69 years old, I've had ten wives (three of them mine), ten kids, seven grandkids and two (at last count) great-grandkids. I'm opinionated to the point of being somewhat rude to idiots who vote for the likes of Al Gore and Ralph Nader. If people don't like me or the way I look or sound they can make use of the rest of a vast horizon and turn their attention there. After spending six years with the SeaBees, I climbed mountains, rafted down rivers and crawled through some of the muddiest caves in the world. My eyes don't focus as well as they used to and my legs are starting to give out on me, but my wit is just as acidic as ever.

My present wife is 48 years old and a Methodist Minister. We have a 14 year-old daughter who all the guys in Portland think is 22. They also think I was born with a shotgun in my hand. My wife loves revolvers and my daughter has learned to handle my S&W 28-2 well enough to put six in the torso area of a silhouette target at 50 feet.

I AM an oldfart! I've earned the title and I'm proud of it!

Vasilia Zhietzev
September 27, 2003, 10:36 PM
...mine is from a film: 'enemy at the gates'. i'm half slav. i like shooting long range....the rest you'll get to know in time. ;)

Skunkabilly
September 27, 2003, 10:50 PM
Because I smell like flowers and I'm a hillbilly. Reeehawww!

pittspilot
September 27, 2003, 11:21 PM
http://www.fergworld.com/pitts/001225/inflight_0.jpg

That would be a Pitts Special. My favorite plane to fly.

Lennyjoe
September 27, 2003, 11:45 PM
ITs what my family called me when I was little. Dads name was Lenny too.

First name, middle name. Easy enough.

Soap
September 27, 2003, 11:49 PM
I picked this incredibly deceptive screen name to throw off the blue helmets and the feds! :D

Zach
September 28, 2003, 01:29 AM
First name, last initial. Someone with 3 posts screwed me out of what i was going to use (Zach, my sn at 1911forum).

I used it just to annoy Zach S! :evil:

Just because I don't post much doesn't mean I am not here.

Zach

HeavyHaul
September 28, 2003, 01:46 AM
Heavy Haul is what I do for a living. If it puts the truck and trailer combo over 80,000 lbs and requires a permit from the state Dept of Transportation, I haul it. Mostly tracked construction equipment. Dozers, and excavators, mostly.

Bill

Stevie-Ray
September 28, 2003, 02:01 AM
My nickname since my present occupation nearly 10 years ago. Seems everybody butchers my last name which is pronounced ray-hon. Since they can usually remember the first syllable, a co-worker tagged me with that and it stuck.

lycanthrope
September 28, 2003, 02:23 AM
"Lycanthrope" is Latin for shapeshifter and, more specifically, a werewolf.

Wolfe is my last name and I have an affinity for Canis Lupus.

Dex Sinister
September 28, 2003, 03:35 AM
Some decades ago, I decided that a nice Latin name like Dexter Sinister (Right & Left in Latin) described a libertarian like me pretty well.

Besides, it's all so...sinister...

Dex }:>=-

Kilrain
September 28, 2003, 05:33 AM
There once was a book by Michael Shaara entitled, "The Killer Angels." It was about the Civil War battle of Gettysburg. Then, there was a movie called "Gettysburg", the screen adaption of this novel. Then, there was a song by Steve Earle called Dixieland. And finally, a movie called "Gods And Generals" about the earlier Civil War battles.

A fictional character named "Buster Kilrain" is a key element in all of these. Kilrain of the 20th Maine.

mussi
September 28, 2003, 07:25 AM
Mine's derinved from my favorite dessert - mousse au chocolat...

Fly320s
September 28, 2003, 09:25 AM
I have a cushy job flying Airbus 320s.

It's a whole lot better than working for a living.

Dan Morris
September 28, 2003, 09:47 AM
Just my own name. I've never really kept a low prifile.
Dan

Silver Bullet
September 28, 2003, 07:56 PM
My faithful Indian companion, Otnot, is paranoid about vampires, so we always keep our pistols loaded with one or two cartridges with silver bullets.

Ed Brunner
September 28, 2003, 08:31 PM
All the good names were taken.

Browns Fan
September 28, 2003, 09:59 PM
Actually, I'm a Ravens fan.... OK, OK, I'm only kidding, fellow buckeyes. Can't you guys take a joke? :scrutiny:

Bullet Bob
September 28, 2003, 10:38 PM
Bob (Robert) is my first name (most common name in 1951, I think).

Bullet is either as a reference to shooting in general, or in honor of Roy Roger's dog. Hey, sure, I wanted Trigger, but Bullet was a cool German Shepherd! If Roy had a cat, wonder what it's name would be?

Brian Dale
September 28, 2003, 10:50 PM
Among cowpokes? In the Old West?

Target. :evil:

(No, MY cats are spoiled rotten)

Tierhog
September 28, 2003, 10:55 PM
I work in a prison, walking the tiers I hear all sorts of names, I liked this one so I made it mine.

Obiwan
September 28, 2003, 10:55 PM
Managed a group of creative types that were all about 10 years younger than me.

After several occaisons where my advice / guidance proved to be right...despite their best efforts at doing things another way.

They jokingly started asking me to teach them the way of the force!

The name sort of stuck....

10 years later I am starting to look like him!

cool45auto
September 28, 2003, 11:41 PM
Beretta 92FS Vertec - cool pistol and it's 9mm. No big whoop.

LiquidTension
September 29, 2003, 05:32 AM
Liquid Tension Experiment:
Mike Portnoy (God of Drums)
Jordan Rudess (Master of Keyboards)
Tony Levin (King of Bass)
John Petrucci (THE MAN, my idol, absolute sin on a fretboard)

Sound clip (http://www.magnacarta.net/audiofiles/lte/177_liquidtension-1.mp3) (listen to the whole thing, even if you don't like it you'll at least respect the guys)

Samples (http://www.magnacarta.net/audio/lte.html) from both albums.

Anybody that likes good prog rock probably knows who they are. Here's some info (http://www.magnacarta.net/artists/lte.html) for anybody else that cares.

They're good enough for me to use the (really cool) name, and I have no problem giving them free advertising.

Bill St. Clair
September 29, 2003, 03:23 PM
It's the name my mother gave me.

Pebcac
September 29, 2003, 04:14 PM
I work in computers, and about 95% of the time the problem is explained by my signature; hence, the screen name. :D

noklue3
September 29, 2003, 04:19 PM
I have no idea.
I have no idea.
I have no idea.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the story behind your screen name?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!