Snakeshot pistol cartridges

PDA

DontShootMe
September 26, 2003, 12:58 AM
Hi there! Is it okay to shoot snakeshot through semi-automatics as well as revolvers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Snakeshot pistol cartridges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
September 26, 2003, 01:14 AM
Yep
for grins...the CCI 45ACP shotshells cycles in my 1911's, IMO best pattern of any of the shotshell for pistol calibers.

BluesBear
September 26, 2003, 01:28 AM
Yes, in fact, the extended case loads like the CCI will only work in an automatic. If youtry to fire them in a revolver there are nearly inpossible to extract due the the case expanding to fit the cylincer past the shoulder.

I learned this the hard way about 20 years ago by getting a cylinder full of home-made shotshells stuck in my S&W 1917.
:uhoh:
They worked just fine in my Gumment.

WonderNine
September 26, 2003, 03:30 AM
Sounds like they might be hard on an extractor....?

BluesBear
September 26, 2003, 04:24 AM
Not really.

In a semi-auto it's the case that is actually pushing the slide back. The extractor only has to grip the case when the ejector hits it. By that time the longer case of a shotshell had cleared the confines of the chamber anyway.

WonderNine
September 26, 2003, 04:30 AM
Ah yes, me forgets....:)

45crittergitter
September 27, 2003, 11:52 PM
I shoot factory shotshells in .45 ACP, 9mm, and .22LR. No problems except some feeding issues in 1911's. The .22s are pretty useless. If you shoot .45 ACP, the now discontinued Remington factory loads with crimped round noses feed better and pattern far better than CCI. Also, they use #12 shot, while CCI is #9. I handload all my revolver shot loads - very useful in calibers like .41.

Thirties
September 28, 2003, 08:34 AM
Do you folks have trouble cleaning the snake shot lead from your barrels?

If you enjoyed reading about "Snakeshot pistol cartridges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!