What's your favorite shootin' brass?

PDA

mallc
January 8, 2009, 01:19 PM
What's your favorite bulk purchase rifle brass? The kind of stuff you buy in 100s or 500 piece bags?Winchester? Remington? Other?

What makes it good? Where do you buy it?

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your favorite shootin' brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ljnowell
January 8, 2009, 01:22 PM
Guess I was the first one, YAY! I just started reloading, but almost all of my brass is winchester. I shot lots of WWB. I do have some starline, but as far as the majority, its Winchester. It seems to be ok though as I have a few cases that I have reloaded already about 7 times working up a load, and they are still going strong.

SteelyNirvana
January 8, 2009, 01:41 PM
Still consider myself a new reloader but I prefer Winchester brass. That goes for primers also;)

Historian
January 8, 2009, 02:13 PM
Lake City .223...hands down.

Historian

"It's a good thing that we don't get as much government as we pay for." Will Rogers

Walkalong
January 8, 2009, 02:27 PM
Winchester and Starline for pistol. Lapua for match 6PPC cases (made from .220 Russian). LC and whatever I find for .223. Same for .308, but I don't shoot much of it.

FlyinBryan
January 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
i like pmc, and lake city.

behind those, winchester, rp, then the rest.

USSR
January 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
Voted "Other". In .308, I use Lake City Match and Hornady Match. In .30-06, I use Lapua and Lake City Match. And in 6.5x55, I use Lapua.

Don

The Bushmaster
January 8, 2009, 04:26 PM
I like all three and use Winchester, Remington and other.:D

99% of my rifle brass is range once fired pickups. I have very little "new" brass and that was given to me...

D. Manley
January 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
Favorite is Starline. Between Remington and Winchester, I'd have to vote Winchester "in general" although for some calibers, I like Remington just fine.

ReloaderFred
January 8, 2009, 06:05 PM
The only new rifle brass I buy is .45-70, though I load 9 different rifle calibers. For the .45-70, I prefer Remington new brass.

You didn't ask about pistol brass for your survey, but for that it depends on the caliber as to which brand I prefer. For most handgun cartridges, I prefer Winchester brass, though I don't purchase handgun brass new at all.

Hope this helps.

Fred

lev83
January 8, 2009, 07:08 PM
I only use Winchester or Federal brass. Excellent results and easier to sort.

dwave
January 9, 2009, 12:26 AM
I use Starline or Winchester.

R.W.Dale
January 9, 2009, 12:35 AM
Depends on the cartridge

For 7.62x39 the small primed Remington cases are superior to even Lapua

For most of my other rifle cartridges I use whatever brand I have the most of being careful not to mix headstamps for a particular load.

handguns I don't even bother to sort

joneb
January 9, 2009, 01:05 AM
What ! nobody picked American brass :confused: and here I thought everything had changed ;)

ArchAngelCD
January 9, 2009, 01:15 AM
Federal first and then Winchester.
(I'm a little surprised you didn't list Federal)

jhansman
January 9, 2009, 12:02 PM
Winchester first and last, with LC for semi-auto .223 the only exception.

Peter M. Eick
January 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
Starline is my favorite. Thus other.

jjohnson
January 10, 2009, 06:29 PM
Well, if you'd asked about RIFLE brass, I'd have said Winchester, but since most of the brass I buy (read: when I can't pick it up for FREE at the range) is bought as components, instead of brass saved after shooting up factory ammo, Starling is just fine by me. I'll shoot about anything if the brass price is right, but the Winchester rifle brass seems to be softer than Remington.

That's not a scientific answer - just seems my Rem reloads tend to crack more often than the Winchester stuff.

Grassman
January 10, 2009, 06:39 PM
My personal favorite is FREE brass...........

280shooter
January 10, 2009, 10:48 PM
Free brass, is for sure
LC 223
rem,280,,8mm 221 fireball
win, 357, 38 spc,
fed 44mag

jeepmor
January 10, 2009, 11:14 PM
Another vote for Other which is "free" brass. I've never had an issue with Remington or Federal. Everything I've split has been in 10mm has been Starline. So, all the praise that brand gets, I have to put myself on the other side of that fence. All else, no issues in any of my rifle and pistol calibers.

Mal H
January 10, 2009, 11:54 PM
Kind of a short list there, so I have to go with 'other' - Starline.

jfh
January 11, 2009, 12:59 AM
ditto on Mal's comment--I generally buy Starline.

Jim H.

wolfeyes
January 11, 2009, 01:43 AM
Lake City.........jh

ReloaderFred
January 11, 2009, 01:43 AM
The original poster asked about RIFLE brass, and everyone is telling him what their favorite PISTOL brass is. Starline only makes a couple of rifle calibers, with the majority of their products being pistol calibers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

paperpuncher49
January 11, 2009, 08:05 AM
Norma, Norma, and Norma, though not necessarily in that order. However, when something else, I agree with many here......Winchester and LC if I'm loading .223.

dagger dog
January 11, 2009, 08:52 AM
I've just had such good luck with Winchester in all calibers. I'm just an average shooter, hunter, reloader and do not shoot in competitions.

On a similar note does any one notice a difference in quality between Winchester and Remington?

Down South
January 11, 2009, 09:08 AM
Another Starline here.

Shaner
January 11, 2009, 10:13 AM
What's your favorite bulk purchase rifle brass?

Lapua, hands down.

What makes it good?

1. It's easy to prep.

2. It lasts a long time before having to anneal. Rarely do they crack.

3. Primer pockets are uniform and provides consistent feel of seating primers.

4. Their weights are consistently within my tolerances.

4. Quality of brass used to make the cases are the BEST.

5. Wall thickness is consistent.

6. They pay for themselves in the long run.

Where do you buy it?

Just about any major online store.

On a similar note does any one notice a difference in quality between Winchester and Remington?

Each has their own pros and cons. Neither seem to come even close to the quality of Lapua or even Norma brass.

Mal H
January 11, 2009, 10:33 AM
On a similar note does any one notice a difference in quality between Winchester and Remington?Yes, for handgun caliber brass. Remington hg brass seems to be thinner and doesn't last as long as Winchester brass. For rifle calibers, I haven't noticed much difference between the two brands.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your favorite shootin' brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!