Colorado CCW Fees

PDA

heavyshooter
January 8, 2009, 02:41 PM
My wife and I moved to Denver from Dallas a couple years ago. We are finally getting around to attending our class for CCW next week. Can any of you help me with the fees for background check and license after we have completed the class. We live in Arapahoe County and I am unable to get a clear understanding of how much the County and State are going to charge. I know I can ask the class instructor, but I want to budget in advance so we can send the information out ASAP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado CCW Fees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scottgun
January 8, 2009, 02:46 PM
Two non-refundable processing fees:
o $52.50 cashier’s check or money order to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
o $100 cash, cashier’s check, or money order to the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO)

check out this link for more details
http://www.co.arapahoe.co.us/Departments/SH/Concealed%20Weapons/New%20Applicants.asp

Treo
January 8, 2009, 04:41 PM
That sounds about right I think I paid about $155.00

I THINK your previous CCW from Texas would qualify for training I KNOW a DD214 from the last 10 years qualifies

Bad thing is Arappahoe County CHPs get entered in the state database ( unlike El Paso county :D )

rondog
January 8, 2009, 05:51 PM
You might want to shop around for the "CCW classes". I paid $150 for mine, which was way too high. I "think" all that's really required is a "certificate from an NRA gun safety class". Or the military DD214, etc.

AFAIK, there's not really an "official" class on carrying a concealed weapon, although I think there really should be a strict requirement outlining the "thou shalts and thou shalt nots". IMO, it was just a little too easy. I came away with a permit to carry a gun thinking, "this is cool, now what? Just how do I stay out of trouble with this thing?"

I'm in Douglas County, and when I went to pick up my permit, I just had to sign for it and "here you are". I figured there would at least be a small lecture from the Sheriff's Office about "now looky here boy, don't be a-doin....". It was surprisingly quick and painless, took exactly 3 weeks to arrive.

CoRoMo
January 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
Yep, $150-ish IIRC. My class was $99 via ProFire (http://www.profire.us/). Bob Pabst and his guys are a good choice, but their price isn't $99 anymore unless you bring a couple more people.

heavyshooter
January 9, 2009, 01:11 AM
AFAIK, there's not really an "official" class on carrying a concealed weapon, although I think there really should be a strict requirement outlining the "thou shalts and thou shalt nots". IMO, it was just a little too easy. I came away with a permit to carry a gun thinking, "this is cool, now what? Just how do I stay out of trouble with this thing?"

I'm in Douglas County, and when I went to pick up my permit, I just had to sign for it and "here you are". I figured there would at least be a small lecture from the Sheriff's Office about "now looky here boy, don't be a-doin....". It was surprisingly quick and painless, took exactly 3 weeks to arrive.

rondog,

I am glad you mentioned this. We are on the same page here. Our class will be $100 for each of us. In my experience that is a very reasonable price. The thing that surprised me was the lack of range time. In Texas we had to pass a shooting test using a CCW (in Texas it's called CCL) specific target. We had to score 70% to pass the class. But here we only cover the theory aspect of concealed carry. There is no hands-on practicality. That surprised me.

Heavy

rondog
January 9, 2009, 01:20 AM
The thing that surprised me was the lack of range time. In Texas we had to pass a shooting test using a CCW (in Texas it's called CCL) specific target. We had to score 70% to pass the class. But here we only cover the theory aspect of concealed carry. There is no hands-on practicality. That surprised me.

Our instructor was good, knew his stuff and had lots of LEO & military experience, and he did take us to a nearby private range to shoot. But all we did was shoot at blank typing paper at about 6 feet, no scoring at all. It was mostly all about gun handling and safety, he didn't care if you couldn't hit the paper, but he praised those of us that could actually shoot. There was a lady next to me with a brand-new .38, in the box, with NO experience whatsoever. Kinda scary.

Dravur
January 9, 2009, 09:10 AM
I would second using Profire. Bob's class is great and will also qualify you for the Utah permit, if you wanted to get it. The total cost in Boulder was $152.50. Oddly enough, the Boulder Sheriff has no problems signing off on anything... suppressor, SBRs... he signed em all.

zammyman
January 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
152.50 is what I paid, too in CO. Watch out for the Denver/Aurora PD, they are insane.

KC0QGL
January 9, 2009, 09:24 AM
When I got mine it was only $127.50. Then again that was almost 2 years ago.

CoRoMo
January 9, 2009, 10:07 AM
The thing that surprised me was the lack of range time.

You can always pay extra to go to the range if you like, but there's no need for it unless the student is completely brand new to firearms and feels they personally need that range time to learn how to use their handgun.

Bob's class contains a session where each student has to demonstrate to an instructor that he/she knows how to operate the handgun they were required to bring to class. All you need to establish is that you know which end of the gun is the bad one, and that you can hold and dry fire it. I think this part is more for the CYA of the instructing party so they can recommend the range time to someone who could obviously benefit from it.

Welcome to Colorado. From what I understand, our CCW process is less expensive and less restrictive/requiring than Texas.

heavyshooter
January 9, 2009, 11:42 AM
Watch out for the Denver/Aurora PD, they are insane.

What do you mean!

heavyshooter
January 9, 2009, 11:43 AM
accidental double tap

scottgun
January 9, 2009, 12:31 PM
What do you mean!

The Denver police are generally not gun friendly and there have been numerous incidents of civil rights violations or officer misconduct. Denver is a 'home rule' city, so State and Federal laws do not apply, city government and cops seem to just do what they want. The city of Denver still has an AWB even though state law precedes it. I won't elaborate too much at the risk of sounding like I'm cop bashing, let just say that is some good advice.

CoRoMo
January 9, 2009, 12:58 PM
Moreover, Denver itself has its own set of gun control laws that conflict with Colorado state law.
IIRC, it isn't legal to open carry in Denver, BIMBW.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado CCW Fees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!