Going Coyote hunting... Ammunition q.

PDA

DarkCharisma
January 9, 2009, 12:22 PM
I was invited to go pop some Coyotes next week--I have an AR-15 chambered in .223 that I plan on using, my question is, will I need to buy some specialty ammunition, or can I use my 55gr. hollow points that I have stocked? I want to be humane as possible but a buck a bullet is pricey for the Nosler rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going Coyote hunting... Ammunition q." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 9, 2009, 12:27 PM
Anything except GI surplus FMJ will do nicely.

The 55 grain HP and coyotes is a marriage made in heaven!

The Noslers you mentioned are for deer hunting where deep penetration and controlled expansion are wanted.
That's the exact opposite of what you want a varmint bullet to do.

rcmodel

Remy
January 10, 2009, 08:00 PM
I had planned on using surplus 30-06 ammo on coyotes, wouldn't that make their lights go out?

Art Eatman
January 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Back when I was Mini-14ing for yodel dogs, most any 50- to 55-grain bullet worked just fine. Even GI stuff, inside of a hundred yards.

'06 GI? Messes up the innards, in my experience from way, way back when. :)

janobles14
January 11, 2009, 02:19 AM
I had planned on using surplus 30-06 ammo on coyotes, wouldn't that make their lights go out?

like you wouldnt believe...

for .223....any soft point or hollow point 40 grain and up will do fine. yotes are kinda wussy. just pick whatever shoots best in your rifle and avoid fmj.

JWF III
January 11, 2009, 04:49 AM
The FMJ would do it. But you'll find that most states specify expanding bullets for hunting. But coyotes may be different being non-game in most (if not all) states. The FMJ would be better if you wanted to save the pelt.

Best advice I could give you is check your local laws.

But yes, the 55 gr. HP will knock them on their a...

Wyman

Specialized
January 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to mention a few other bullets I've used very successfully on coyotes. All of these will produce the desired effect:

1. 40- or 50-gr. V-Max
2. 36-gr. Varmint Grenade
3. Winchester 45-gr. Soft Point varmint
4. 68-gr. Heavy Match (Black Hills Blue or Red box)
5. Sinterfire 42-gr. frangible

That last one especially -- you'll never have an exit wound, but it makes a mess inside. Just a neat little hole drilled where it went in. Great if you want to preserve the hide.

All of these bullets work great, some do leave bigger exits than others. Some of that depends on where they're hit, too.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

GTS Dean
January 19, 2009, 09:55 PM
+1 on the V-Max recommendation. Makes them tumble like tumbleweeds.

.44 Mag 200 XTP is also top-notch at out to about 75 yards in a pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going Coyote hunting... Ammunition q." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!