New Jersey Shooters, a Question

PDA

AR-10
January 15, 2003, 09:39 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=%5CCulture%5Carchive%5C200301%5CCUL20030113b.html

Above is a link to information concerning pending legislation in the state of New Jersey.

The short of it is that this legislation would require gunsmiths to be FFL holders, and to submit any firearm that has been worked on in such a way as to change the ballistic fingerprint to the state for fingerprinting, as well as submitting information that would allow the state to register the firearm.

Also requires owners to re-submit a firearm any time they did any home smithing that would change the fingerprint. Things like tuning the ejector, changing the extractor, replacing the firing pin, polishing the bolt face (or breach face) or the chamber, replacing the bolt.

Also makes it illegal to own replacement parts like firing pins or bolts.

breaking this law will result in a felony conviction and the loss of rights.

This is is being discussed in Legal and Political. I am asking here in General Discussion a question that I think will fit in this catagory better than L&P, with the hope that it will get more notice.

Is anyone upset enough about this to protest it and try to defeat the bill?

The reason I ask, is I have seen comments about this here and on another board. The New Jersey residents who comment think it stinks, but are resigned to seeing it become law. I have not seen one person mention calling a representative or trying to spread the word to other shooters. No thought of going to the capitol and staging a media event to point out the fact that this insanity will cost all taxpayers a bundle and acheive nothing good. Quiet Resignation.

Please don't think I am being judgemental or uppity, but I have to ask. Is it so hopeless a fight that it is not worth considering? Are you guys outnumbered that badly?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Jersey Shooters, a Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geekWithA.45
January 15, 2003, 10:15 PM
Think it sucks horribly.

Long story short: I have an inside line to the NJ Coalition for Self Defense, currently in getting-our act-together-mode to assertively oppose this sort of thing. (We're almost there!)

I'm speaking informally now, and not in any official capacity, and perhaps a bit prematurely.

What we're doing is using our contacts in Trenton to see if the bill "has any legs".....There's a lot of BS bills that get filed year after year, (even including a full blown, outright handgun ban, complete with confiscation :what: that shows up one year after the next) but it's not worth mobilizing the troops unless it shows any sign of life.

And believe you me, we'll mobilize if the bleeper even twitches. We where late to the show for smart guns (thanks, NRA!) but this callous contempt for the lives and well being of honest New Jerseyans stops, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

This blatant disregard for core American values of liberty, self reliance, and responsibility WILL CEASE.

THERE IS A NEW MARSHALL IN TOWN.

The anti gunowner, anti life forces of America have had safe harbor to operate in NJ for years and years and years, without any coherent indigenous opposition.

THAT HAS CHANGED.
WE'RE WAKING UP, AND WE ARE PISSED.

We have a plan to win the cultural war of public opinion.
We have a plan to neutralize the opposition.
We have a plan to win politically.
We know how to play this game for keeps, and win.
We need volunteers and resources, to make it happen.

THE TIME IS RIPE, AND IT IS NOW.

From out of state? HELP US, because YOU'RE NEXT
In state? JOIN US, or forever hold your peace.

http://www.njcsd.org/contacts.htm (http://www.njcsd.org/contacts.htm)

Edited to add signup link.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 15, 2003, 10:18 PM
I'm with you. Can't spare a lot of time and have to reserve my soapbox moments for other purposes, but will do what I can. Ask Al. ;)

- pdmoderator

AR-10
January 15, 2003, 10:39 PM
Okay, thats encouraging.:)

There are three threads in General discussion over at AR-15.com right now. Two of them are on page ten or twelve and one is floating between page one and page two. With the interest it is generating, by tomorrow it will be page five.

I will post a link to the NJCSD on one of those threads. Tell me what I can do as an outsider and I will try to help. Three or four hundred other members here might see your need and help as well.

After the legislation that has passed in your state over the last year, I think it is safe to assume that this bill has "legs", long ones. Call shop owners. Call gun club presidents. Get people going.

I would say IM me, but it will do more good right here. What can I do? It better not involve money, or your out of luck.

debbieemt
January 15, 2003, 10:51 PM
As GeekWithA.45 so aptly put it -"There Is A New Marshall In Town", NJCSD (and some of us are NJ women!!). We have a very good plan and could use YOUR help in implementing it. Please consider joining us (via the link in Geek's post) before your state is next!

AR-10
January 15, 2003, 10:53 PM
My state will definitely NOT be next.
I am certainly willing to help though.

geekWithA.45
January 15, 2003, 11:17 PM
AR-10 (thanks!)...and anyone else who wants to help.

For right now, 5 things come to mind, then I have to work on the press release about this abomination.

1) I won't play games or be coy: we need money. LOTS of it. To pretend otherwise is a disservice. This is serious stuff. We're playing with the big boys, for keeps, and that takes bux. Give whatcha can.

2) Signup...we need to know who our friends are, and some idea of what their skills are, and how much time they can give. We know ya'll have jobs, so do we. We know ya'll have wives and kids, we do too.

3) Spread the word. If you could copy the new marshall post, and this one to ar-15, and anywhere else that it's being discussed, I'd be appreciative.

4) If you're in NJ, scope out high concentrations of friendly forces, ranges, clubs, etc, and let us know where they are. We've putting together a rolling road show, we'll come and talk to ya'll to gather up the troops. Get us the contact info, and we'll make the calls.

5) Get on the horn with your elected officials! NJ Legislature Home Page. (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/) Write letters, make the calls. Do it now. Well, not now. The offices are closed, but you get the idea.

OPPOSE: A438, S2029 (Base ballistics bill)
OPPOSE A3134 (gun repair bill)
OPPOSE S535 (general handgun ban)

We have some bills to endorse, centered around shall issue and other reforms, but we wanna research them some more, make sure there aren't any booby traps.

AR-10
January 15, 2003, 11:29 PM
I posted a link to this thread and the link in your first post here over at AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=5).
You need to drop the /contacts. htm in your link, as it does not get through that way for me.

No money to spare, but I will keep reminding people that it will soon be a felony to own a spare firing pin in NJ if they don't get off their butts.

Good luck to you.

AnklePocket
January 15, 2003, 11:33 PM
After the smart gun bill, which will go nowhere by the way, the gun owners of New Jersey are face down in the mud. Now with this legislation the feet of the liberal elite who think that they run the show are pressing down on our necks. Our job is to inform the public why this is bad for all - very bad. As it turns out, "The People" run the show so one can summize that we are to blame and not the politicians who we put there.
If one person tells me that we should move out of the state I'll hunt you down like a rabbid dog and tell you face to face why we shouldn't.
My personal short-term goal is to complete a self imposed PhD home school program on American History and Political Science. I was dangerous enough with a pen when I knew nothing other than common sense. Now, with my friends over at www.njcsd.org , we shall not be stopped until the complacent voting masses of New Jersey fully understand the implications of taking responsibility for one's pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. The government will not guarantee these nor will the lawful carry of a concealed weapon, but at least those who desire to have a fighting chance when confronted by a deadly threat will one day have that right restored in the manner in which our Founding Fathers crafted.
And the entire concept of personal responsibility may have a carry-over effect into every other aspect of our lives. That'll be all for now.

Rovert
January 16, 2003, 10:02 AM
AR10, I know you feel safe, but experience tells us that NOBODY is safe. Like treating cancer, we need to attack it at its source, and also shore up the rest of the body. Just to make my point about how nobody is safe, the '94 AW Ban was modelled upon the NJ bill. See my point?

GWA45 is right, we need money. Paid lobbyists are expensive, and like hiring a professional, we want a good one, the same way you wouldn't want to hire the cheapest brain surgeon. We need phone lines. We need printing costs. We need administrative help.

For my part, I'm willing to run the organization out of my own home, and cannibalize my living room to gear up our operation, because we just can't afford fancy office space right now.

Not a one of us on the Board is receiving any compensation, nor do we intend to. We are TOTALLY volunteer-driven. We have zeal, we have smarts, we have savvy, we have guts, we have talent, we have determination, we eat nails for breakfast. We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. They will be assimilated.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 16, 2003, 06:32 PM
Why the sudden burst of humility, Rovert? ;)

BTW, crazy scheme generated & mailed in today. :evil:

- pdmoderator

P.S. Can I come and watch you eat your living room? :D

AR-10
January 16, 2003, 06:40 PM
Rovert,

A good friend of mine is the Senate Majority Leader for our state. If he doesn't want a bill to get out of committee, it doesn't. He and I are on the same page concerning RKBA. My state firearm laws probably won't get any better over the next four years, but they will not get any worse.On the other hand, my friend won't be in his position forever. If a liberal takes his spot, then I will have plenty to worry about.

I would lend a hand financially if I could, but I am self-employed and I am going through a lean winter. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you stop this bill. This kind of thing needs to be seen as a strange anomoly rather than "normal thinking". I certainly hope you can stop it for the sake of us all.

If it would help to sign up on your web page, I will. If it will help for me to write your legislators, I will. Letters to the editor? Let me know.

Rovert
January 16, 2003, 08:08 PM
LOL!

PD, the carpet's not too bad (the fiber is good fer 'ya), but the linoleum is kinda hard to digest.

Why the sudden burst of humility, Rovert? Actually, I was speaking on behalf of the team that I have the priviledge of working with. Had nothin' to do with me, necessarily. I just know what they're capable of, and trust me... you don't wanna pi$$ 'em off.

BTW, what scheme, and mailed to whom? It's likely everything will have to be forwarded here, to my place.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
January 16, 2003, 08:13 PM
We had the same set up as you stated ar-10. Jack Collins held up many a bill in the Law & Public Safety Committee. Guess what? Republicans are out and Democrats are in. Now every atni bill is being considered and passed. The seas do change my friend. Prepare for the storm NOW!:what:

DFBonnett
January 17, 2003, 01:21 PM
More of Loretta Weinberg's horse****. She's got a face like the south end of a northbound dog and a disposition to match. She lies, obfuscates and distorts without compunction. Her forte is a melange of hypocrisy and situational ethics. She gets re-elected because her district is largely composed of other annoying yentas in her own image and a particular minority group that has been "vaccinated" Democrat.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Jersey Shooters, a Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!