Loading 5.7 X 28

PDA

Walkalong
January 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
I bought that AR 57 upper I have been salivating over. I bought some Lyman dies to try out, as well as a Lyman shellholder. I should have bought the RCBS shellholder because the Lyman will not work on my RCBS hand primer until I modify it.

As it was I had to modify the Lyman seater. I had to remove some material from the top of the die as well as the seater stem. I chucked it up in my little Emco 5 lathe to face off the top of the die after I hacksawed a piece off, and then modify the stem. It had a 450S stem, and it would not seat the bullets deep enough.

I decided to start with True Blue since there was data for it and it is generally recommended over on the Five Seven (http://www.fivesevenforum.com/) Forum, Hornady 40 Gr V Max, and Dogtown 34 Gr HP bullets. I used 6.1 Grs True Blue for both loads. (Use at your own risk) I will branch out later powder and bullet wise.

I decided to seat the 40 Gr V Max bullets at 1.580. That used all of the neck. I got close. They all came out at 1.581 to 1.582. Very consistent. I used the same seater setting for the Dogtown 34 Gr bullets, because it was convenient, and that worked out to 1.469 to 1.472. That got all the bearing surface, and a tad more, of the 34 Gr bullets in the neck, but I may try a bit longer O.A.L. for it.

I used a couple of cases to experiment and decided to not use the expander die. It only made a few thousandths difference, the bullets still seated easily, even the flat base ones, and I figured the more neck tension the better. Only one flat based bullet gave trouble. I may not have chamfered that case well.

Someone over on Five Seven posted that you do not need to remove the crimp with this caliber, but I found if you do priming goes much better. I just gave each PP a light twist from my RCBS deburring tool. It was not even enough to remove all of the crimp, but it still made priming easier with just that little bit.

I hope to be able to get out and function test these babies tomorrow.

I mounted a S.P.O.T. red dot on it. I was going to use the Strike Fire, but the mount that came with it was defective. I am able to install and remove the Mag with the sight mounted as pictured. It does not clear by a lot, but it does. I am going to mount a vertical grip and let her rip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading 5.7 X 28" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
January 10, 2009, 02:59 PM
Just came home from the range. Met a nice 18 year old kid. He really liked shooting my DW 1911 in 9MM. "Sweeet" was how he described it. He really got all big eyed and "whoaaa....cool" when I showed him the AR 57.... Priceless.

Anyway. I shot the two loads using 6.1 Grs of True Blue. I shot one round with the 34 Gr Dogtown bullet and 7.0 Grs of SR 4759 (case full)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

34 Gr Dogtown bullet and 6.1 Grs True Blue with a WSP primer. 1.470 O.A.L. - 10 Shots

Hi-2351
Lo-2302
Avg-2327
ES-49
SD-16

40 Gr V Max bullet and 6.1 Grs True Blue with a WSP primer. 1.480 O.A.L. - 10 Shots

Hi-2271
Lo-2240
Avg-2253
ES-31
SD-9

34 Gr Dogtown bullet and 7.0 Grs SR-4759 with a WSP primer. 1.470 O.A.L. - 1 Shot

1841 FPS

Primers looked pretty good. True Blue meters extremely well, and that is a big plus in a sensitive caliber such as this. The V Max load had a bit more recoil, such as it is, and showed a bit more pressure sign on the primers.

Anybody here loading 5.7 X 28? I would love to hear what you are using powder and bullet wise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

While these loads seemed safe in my gun using my load procedure, I can not recommend them. Use at your own risk.

HK SD9 Tactical
January 10, 2009, 09:14 PM
Ramshot True Blue.

Barnes 30g, Dogtown 34g, Barnes Varmint Grenade 36g, Hornady V-Max 40g, Barnes TSX, Sierra SP, Barnes Banded Spitzers 45g , Hornady V-Max, Hornady SP 55g loads.

Playing with some pulled 28g right now as well as some 55g Sierra Game Kings.

Velocities between 2600fps plus for the light stuff and down to sub-sonics for the heavy stuff. Velocities will vary with platform utilized.

Walkalong
January 10, 2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome to THR HK SD9 Tactical

Thanks. I thought no one was going to respond there for a while. AC

jfh
January 11, 2009, 12:56 AM
Walkalong, since I have significant amounts of True Blue on hand, but neither the gear, rounds, or gun on hand, I think the only decent thing for you to do is to

send all that stuff up here and I'll do the cold weather testing.

Jim H.

Walkalong
January 11, 2009, 09:34 AM
That is very generous of you, knowing it won't get that cold around here. Just as soon as I finish testing in the 95 to 100 degree summers here, just you keep an eye out for a long package. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading 5.7 X 28" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!