Private sale in Washington State question

PDA

ACBMWM3
January 10, 2009, 02:36 AM
A friend of mine want to purchase one of my handguns.
I know he is not a convicted fellon etc... he meets all the requirments to purchase a new handgun.
Im ondering if anyone knows how to go about a private sale in washington state.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private sale in Washington State question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
January 10, 2009, 03:52 AM
If he's a state resident and not a felon, then exchange the agreed upon price and call it good!

WA has no requirements other than the federal (as mentioned).

ACBMWM3
January 10, 2009, 04:35 AM
what about transfering the gun into his name?

Oro
January 10, 2009, 05:00 AM
It's not like a car, there's no "registration." It's like selling a wheelbarrow. The gun's aren't in your "name" right now in any state or federal registry, unlike say your home or car. If you are deeply worried about something, write up a receipt with the serial number and have him sign it, but it's not a necessity or requirement - it would only be for your own records.

joker4096
January 10, 2009, 05:24 AM
correct^
i just printed a bill of sale and filled in the info, one for me and the other for the buyer, just to protect us both. free way to protect both of your necks

Bobarino
January 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
to sell a gun in WA to a legal WA resident:

step 1: exchange cash

step 2: exchange gun

step 3: shake hands

step 4: head to the range and be embarrassed when your friend outshoots you with your gun.

Bobby

twoclones
January 10, 2009, 06:00 PM
If you really want to generate some paperwork, Washington State offers a voluntary transfer form. You could fill it out and keep it for your own records...

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

If you enjoyed reading about "Private sale in Washington State question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!