Holsters (ouch)

PDA

californian
September 26, 2003, 01:27 PM
Well, i've just added another holster to my ever increasing supply; a C-Tac from Comp-Tac for a Glock mod 36....... this is my first day wearing it and like too many others, it's not comfortable. The ONLY holster that i own that is anywhere near comfortable is a Fobus kydex paddle holster. Can't wear the Paddle holster without a jacket or sport coat; can probly wear the C-Tac with an untucked t-shirt but jeez, there must be something out there. Any help?

If you enjoyed reading about "Holsters (ouch)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
A Johnston
September 26, 2003, 01:42 PM
Try an Alessi CQC-S and put the plastic holsters away. Lou makes some of the finest concealment leather available. :)

Pappy John
September 26, 2003, 06:16 PM
I've been down this road and found that I like the cheap Uncle Mike's fabric IWB holsters best of all. Only cost around fourteen bucks...hide well... comfortable. Maybe they're not as pretty to look at as the pricey leather stuff, but that's just the point. Nobody's supposed to see them.

Johnny Guest
September 26, 2003, 07:10 PM
Fobus and Uncle Mike's paddle holsters are great for range or field use. Also, good for open carry where allowed. They are just not set up for really good concealment, though, unless you wear a loose cover garment.

I really don't like nylon holsters for concealment except for IWB or ankle use. There's just not enough "body" to properly support the weight of the pistol against your torso.

Different body types, different weapons, different comfort levels . . . .

Best,
Johnny

Soap
September 26, 2003, 09:47 PM
Have you ever tried a high-end Sparks or Rosen?

bubbygator
September 26, 2003, 10:03 PM
I've been drooling over this HighNoon (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Hidden_Impact/hidden_impact.html) design for awhile. It combines the simplicity of a "standard" IWB with a simple shirt-tuck feature.

P95Carry
September 26, 2003, 10:47 PM
I'm picky with holsters but gotta say ... once into ''winter mode'' ... meaning having outer loose shirt over t-shirt ...... things do get easier.

I find that a Fobus for either BHP or P series is good ..... comfortable and not too obtrusive ....... or - one of my Bianchi sho rigs for one of these semi's.

Current last of summer snub carry is in a small ''j'' frame rig made by a guy in TX . whose name i forget ... bought it at Dallas gun show ........ and it is OWB but sits nicely in right small of back ......

Seems like most people have to experiment quite a bit to find something that ''works'' for them.

Trebor
September 27, 2003, 02:08 PM
I'm very happy with my Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB. I use it for a CZ 75 and it is very comfortable and concealable.

tonerguy
September 27, 2003, 05:55 PM
http://www.ipscshooter.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=15

WonderNine
September 27, 2003, 06:27 PM
I really like my Bianchi S3 Pistol Pocket. Has a retention strap and is about as comfortable as IWB gets. Sometimes I just wear it under a t-shirt. In the wintertime carrying is a piece of cake.

Zundfolge
September 27, 2003, 09:58 PM
I REALY don't like Kydex IWB holsters and have never found one that's remotely comfortable. If it's going into my pants its gotta be leather (although I could see where nylon would be okay.

If price is why you are looking at Kydex (and after looking at Milt-Sparks and other good leather holsters I can understand) you might look at High Noon. They have a good reputation here and are priced well.

BrentK
September 27, 2003, 10:37 PM
bubbygator wrote: I've been drooling over this HighNoon design for awhile. It combines the simplicity of a "standard" IWB with a simple shirt-tuck feature.

I recently went shopping for an IWB holster, and ended up going with High Noon again (I have their Slide Guard OWB) after deciding that I really didn't want kydex. I chose the Hidden Ally, which has the same design as the Hidden Impact you like, but made of thinner/softer leather. The biggest difference between the two (according to HN) is that Ally isn't made for one-handed reholstering, which doesn't bother me. Also, and I don't know why, but High Noon recommends the Ally over the Impact for warmer climates.

I don't have the holster yet (just ordered on Friday) so I can't provide any first-hand observations. But I can say that even if the other leather IWBs that I found were available for the Steyr M40, which many aren't, I still would have gone with HN. That's how impressed I am with their products, service and price. :D

californian
September 28, 2003, 04:04 PM
thganks for all the info folks ........but i guess i could spend hundreds of dollars looking for the right fit.

tonerguy
September 28, 2003, 04:09 PM
"thanks for all the info folks ........but i guess i could spend hundreds of dollars looking for the right fit."

True. I'll make you an offer that might help. I'll send you a holster with 3-day right of return. If it isn't comfortable, etc. Just send it back. A Glock 36 shouldn't be hard to conceal comfortably. In addition, you won't need a coat to conceal it. Just tuck it in (if shirt is large enough to blouse).

I assume you have a decent belt and your clothes have a little room in them for the holster. If so, then you should be successful.

Kamicosmos
September 28, 2003, 04:24 PM
I chose the Hidden Ally, which has the same design as the Hidden Impact you like, but made of thinner/softer leather.

I also just got the Hidden Ally for my SP101. It fits the gun well, and it arrived in 4 days! Very affordable and very well made.

Now I just need to buy some new pants. When you add a couple inches of steel between your waist and your belt, your pants get tight. Funny how that works! Of course, I could loose a couple of pounds to get the same effect, but buying new pants is easier!!

Flashpoint
September 28, 2003, 05:40 PM
I would like to throw my two cents worth in about the Hidden Ally. I have been using it to carry my Steyr M40 for about a year and would have to say that it is very comfortable. Also if I take the gun out when I'm driving for a long way the holster is soft enough that I can't even tell it is back there. Anouther good plus is that it also works well with my Sig p239 so I didn't have to buy a new holster to carry it.

Khornet
September 30, 2003, 02:37 PM
I got a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB for my G22. I've worn it every day ever since, about 6 months now I think. It is so comfortable I forget it's there. It is secure, and conceals beautifully, even with a full-size auto , with the shirt tucked. And that doesn't mean a fluffy flannel, I wear it with a white dress shirt in the office too. See the Tonerguy above. Service is excellent and personal. Not cheap but worth every penny. And I'm not getting any kickbacks, folks!

tonerguy
September 30, 2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks, Khornet! I'll pass that on to Tucker. :)

Rob

BrentK
September 30, 2003, 08:34 PM
Wow, that Tucker Heritage IWB holster looks great! Can someone tell me if it can be made for a Steyr M40?

CrudeGT
September 30, 2003, 08:54 PM
I agree with Pappy John up there. I've got a Ruger P89 for my CC, which is not a small gun, and not very comfortable as it is, but I've been using an Uncle Mikes IWB fabric holster and it's pretty comfortable and easy to hide. i still can't tuck in my shirt if i'm wearing it, which is a pain the ??? some times, but it's the lesser of 2 evils.

tonerguy
September 30, 2003, 08:58 PM
"Wow, that Tucker Heritage IWB holster looks great! Can someone tell me if it can be made for a Steyr M40?"

Sure. Have shipped several for the M40.

Rob

dawg23
September 30, 2003, 09:35 PM
Quote from Californian: "Well, i've just added another holster to my ever increasing supply; a C-Tac from Comp-Tac for a Glock mod 36....... this is my first day wearing it and like too many others, it's not comfortable. The ONLY holster that i own that is anywhere near comfortable is a Fobus kydex paddle holster. Can't wear the Paddle holster without a jacket or sport coat; can probly wear the C-Tac with an untucked t-shirt but jeez, there must be something out there. Any help?"

1. Before you give up on the Comp-Tac, call Greg Garrett (713-681-6881) and talk to him. At the very least he will offer you a full refund if you are unhappy for any reason. You will find that Greg (the owner) is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and he will do whatever it takes for you to be satisfied. BTW, Greg is also one of the best IDPA shooters in the country.

2. I'll bet Greg can find you a comfortable holster.

3. It's not really fair to compare an IWB from Comp-Tac (or anyone else) with a paddle (from Fobus or anyone else). I'll bet you that you'll find the Comp-Tac paddles to be vastly superior to the Fobus paddles.

4. The paddles work best (for me) with a jacket or coat - or a VEST. But you can certainly wear one with an untucked shirt (just like you would with an IWB holster).

5. I have a LARGE BOX full of holsters. None compares to the Comp-Tacs. I just wish I had discovered them sooner.

CALL GREG - You'll be glad you did.

tonerguy
September 30, 2003, 09:45 PM
dawg23 is right. Call Greg at Comp-tac and see what he can do. I was over there visiting with Greg today. He's very committed to customer service. He's also a hell of a good shooter by the way.

Werewolf
October 1, 2003, 12:03 AM
IWB - seems to be very popular - but I've never gotten it. Pants size for me at least has to be one or two inches more than I normally wear just to get the darn thing inside. Then the pants don't fit right, look right or feel right and anyone with half a brain and only one eye can tell something's hanging off your hip inside your waste band if they take more than a half ??? look. Hell, I can't even sit down comfortably with an IWB.

Why do so few not look into shoulder holsters. Holster on one side, mag carriers on the other. A shirt size one size larger than normal gives plenty of room and your weapon is 100% concealed - no painting/printing/outlining. Sometimes I forget I'm even wearing the darn thing. (I normally wear long sleeve shirts - never tried it with a pull over - access is limited with a pull over).

I'm in the minority though and have always wondered why?

Khornet
October 1, 2003, 08:45 AM
has ever spotted my G22 IWB. That was my brother-in-law, an LEO who knew I was carrying and was looking for it. Other friends who knew I was carrying didn't see it. I was wearing a light summer short-sleeve shirt, not a T-shirt, and jeans. My BIL and the others spent the weekend with me in a cabin on a fishing trip and no one else ever spotted it.

I'm no expert, but I've learned that you must learn the right position of the holster to be comfortable. Not too far forward or back, or it digs in and doesn't ride well. For me, a lefty, that position is about 7:00 or 8:00 looking down from above, so that the muzzle is in the upper left corner of my left back pocket, the butt snug against my flank but behind a little, and the notch where grip meets slide/frame tucks in just below my ribs. I can drive, sit at a desk, do yard work, play guitar, fish, and examine patients or do colonoscopies without it bothering me or being seen.

Shoulder holsters drive me nuts. My left arm is being pushed away from me, and I can't comfortably put my hand in my pocket. After a day of wearing one, my shoulder hurts because the gun acts as a fulcrum between my elbow and my shoulder joint, prying the shoulder outward.

With a shirt-tucking IWB, you do have to yank your shirttail out fast to draw, but it can be learned. With a shoulder rig inside a shirt, I'd hate to really need that gun in a hurry. I'd have to excuse myself and go someplace to do the Superman act and re-emerge armed.

I'd invest in a good gun belt first. That can run you $100 sometimes, but really worth it. Then try out different rigs; there are good reliable belt-slide, paddle, and standard belt holsters out there for not too much dough. You'll learn a lot about carry and concealment that way. And after a few months, you'll know enough to wisely spend a fair chunk to get a good holster you'll use for years. That process led me to the Tucker, and I'm happy.

PCRCCW
October 2, 2003, 08:30 AM
The G36 is an easy gun to conceal and do it comfortably. Try all of the holsters you want. If you find a good one..then your done. If not email me and we can talk. Hope your quest has a happy ending.
Shoot well

If you enjoyed reading about "Holsters (ouch)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!