Thought about a .357 but after seeing this, maybe a 44 mag isn't all that bad

PDA

sernv99
January 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
saw this little ole' woman shooting a 44 mag and enjoying it....well damn, if she can shoot it and not cry about it I can sure as hell man up and buy me a 44 mag without worrying about the recoil.....or is she using target loads?? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqkf3EK0fRk

If you enjoyed reading about "Thought about a .357 but after seeing this, maybe a 44 mag isn't all that bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LTR shooter
January 10, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'd say by the very marginal muzzle flash exhibited and the minimal muzzle jump she was using a light load.

FoMoGo
January 10, 2009, 11:05 PM
I taught my wife to shoot a pistol with my S&W M629 with 240 gr hunting loads.
Any able bodied person can shoot a .44 mag.
She carries a .44 spl snubby now. :D

Jim

sernv99
January 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
How long of a barrel must you go to in order for the 44 mag revolver to be able to absorb the recoil to a point where it is manageable (using hunting loads)?

BCRider
January 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
A few rounds of full on .44 Mag in a day isn't bad but having shot some I would not want a regular diet of it for my typical day at the range where I'll go through typically 200 rounds of shooting. It's got a little too much "presence" for doing a lot of shooting for my own tastes.

THe only way you'll know is to find a helpful soul that'll let you use his gun to shoot your own ammo through or a commercial range with both up for use.

.38 Special
January 10, 2009, 11:16 PM
I can shoot the .44 Magnum. I prefer to shoot the .357 Magnum.

FoMoGo
January 10, 2009, 11:24 PM
My wife sold her .357 because it didnt recoil enough... :D
Recoil depends on the grips and weight of the pistol more than the barrel length.
An N frame or a Ruger with decent grips will be fine with standard hunting loads.

Jim

FoMoGo
January 10, 2009, 11:25 PM
Double Tap

Jim

exflatlander
January 10, 2009, 11:30 PM
.44 mag revolvers are great and easy to shoot (when using .44 special loads).

If you don't handload you will hate the thing the second time you pay twice as much for 1/2 the ammo.

High Desert Hunter
January 10, 2009, 11:50 PM
I love the 44 Magnum, only caliber I like better is the 45 Colt, next would be a 45 ACP, and 357 Magnum, then comes the .32H&R and 32-20.

David E
January 11, 2009, 12:41 AM
Those loads were either .44 Special or light handloads.

That said, the .44, if you're a reloader, is much more versatile than the .357. You can always load the .44 down......you can only load up the .357 so far.

Plus, light to medium-heavy loads in the .44 are less stressful to the gun than full bore .357's.

wuchak
January 11, 2009, 01:02 AM
But try finding a 15oz .44 mag that you can put in your front pocket : )

Different animals but both great calibers. Especially if you reload.

It really depends on what you want to do with it.

hoptob
January 11, 2009, 03:56 AM
Yeah, these weren't full 44 mags; or maybe these weren't 44 mags at all. With a hold like that and full house magnums, the gun would hit her in her forehead.

Mike

ArchAngelCD
January 11, 2009, 04:07 AM
That said, the .44, if you're a reloader, is much more versatile than the .357. You can always load the .44 down......you can only load up the .357 so far.
David E,
I have to totally disagree with you. Not only can you download .357 Magnum brass to a 148gr Wadcutter target round at only 600 fps you can shoot any .38 Special or .38 Special +P round in a .357 Magnum. I know a few shooters who load a 158gr LSWC at only 700fps in .357 Magnum brass and they use only that round in their .357 Magnum revolver.

Mat, not doormat
January 11, 2009, 04:56 AM
Quote:

David E,
I have to totally disagree with you. Not only can you download .357 Magnum brass to a 148gr Wadcutter target round at only 600 fps you can shoot any .38 Special or .38 Special +P round in a .357 Magnum. I know a few shooters who load a 158gr LSWC at only 700fps in .357 Magnum brass and they use only that round in their .357 Magnum revolver.

I think you missed the point. No one's saying that you can't load the .357 down, only that you can't load it up to .44 Mag levels.

~~~Mat

alaskanativeson
January 11, 2009, 05:08 AM
I have found that a 6 inch .44 Mag isn't hard to shoot even with hot loads. I wouldn't have a problem with shooting several boxes of rounds through a Super Redhawk, Anaconda, or S&W 29 (other than the cost.) Since it sounds like you're going to be hunting with it you'll probably want at least a 6 inch barrel anyway and that helps a lot with the big 44 loads.

Oro
January 11, 2009, 06:05 AM
How long of a barrel must you go to in order for the 44 mag revolver to be able to absorb the recoil to a point where it is manageable (using hunting loads)?

3", and it packs really well. Lots of good S&Ws and Rugers in that length. But if you are really hunting with it, you want a longer one - for many reasons.

41 Mag
January 11, 2009, 10:23 AM
Definatly not top end loads. However when my wife and I were only dating she loved to shoot my Redhawk topped with a 4X Leupold, and top end loads. With that particular load, and even with the scope mounted, recoil was rough for most folks. She did however have to use a rest. From there she jumped in on the 357 with no reservations no matter what the load. Since she has shot every hendgun I own except my 454. Not that she probably could not shoot it, but after watching me shoot it she chooses not to.

The 44 mag is very versitle, especially if you load for it, which as suggested, makes it much more affordable. With 100 cases your set for a couple of years of loading if you don't over work the cases.

The various bullet weights from different manufacturers make taloring a load for just about any situation easy and it carries enough power to hunt most big game. I also would recommend the longer barrel lengths especially for hunting. The extra bit of sight radius helps out greatly in accuracy. My main load uses the Remington 240gr SJHP and has worked out great for years. IT hits hard and shoots tight out to 100yds. I mainly use it for feral hogs but would not hesitate to use it on deer in the right conditions.

There are a LOT of good ones out there, choosing the best boils down to your personal preferences. As always, if you can try before you buy, it really helps in making the final decision.

Later,

politicaldookie
January 11, 2009, 11:08 AM
These days 44's seem pretty mild compared to the hand cannons that are out there.

pmeisel
January 11, 2009, 03:11 PM
Most of my shooting is in 357/38, but I occasionally get to have a little fun with friends' 44s. I can handle the recoil easily, and I think all but the most slightly built people can learn too....

But, a box of full house loads is all the shooting you want to do for a day. On the other hand, you can shoot several dozen light target loads and finish up with a cylinder or two of the heavy stuff, and it ain't near as hard on ya.....

James T Thomas
January 11, 2009, 03:46 PM
Shooting a Ruger GP-100; 357 magnum, and also a Blackhawk 44 magnums; the recoil seemed to me to be similar. Perhaps somewhat sharper for the 357.

-The blackhawk being the slightly heavier gun, but then, shooting heavier bullets.

This was shooting "full magnum," that is, hunting rounds in both.

ArchAngelCD
January 12, 2009, 05:05 AM
I think you missed the point. No one's saying that you can't load the .357 down, only that you can't load it up to .44 Mag levels.
Thanks "Mat, not doormat", than makes sense... I must have read it wrong last night.

Mat, not doormat
January 12, 2009, 05:59 AM
No problem, ArchAngelCD.

Wolfeye
January 12, 2009, 02:34 PM
"How long of a barrel must you go to in order for the 44 mag revolver to be able to absorb the recoil to a point where it is manageable (using hunting loads)?"

With hunting loads, I'd say 6". If you go 4" or less you get a big, loud blast. It's also easier to hunt with a longer barrel because of the sight radius. I'd go no more than 8" for packability.

My wife likes .44 magnums and thinks that .38 spl is boring. Her stance can always use some help, but I think she has a higher tolerance for recoil than I do, and I'm not a wimp. She's tall & in excellent shape for a woman, though.

inSight-NEO
January 12, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah..looks like she had a blast. But, did she hit anything with it? Its not about WHAT you can handle shooting. Its about what you can handle shooting WELL (accurately).

Opsboss
January 12, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've got a 629 Mountain Gun that Mrs. Ops enjoys shooting with anything up to standard 240-grain factory loads. The heavier "hunting" loads... not so much.

Best, Ops

kmrcstintn
January 13, 2009, 03:36 AM
I can shoot the .44 Magnum. I prefer to shoot the .357 Magnum. - .38 Special

+1 and I have one of the S&W 629 PowerPort models

SASS#23149
January 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
by shot number 2 she was dropping the muzzle in anticipation of the recoil.
can you say 'develop a flinch big time? '
They may not blow a persons head clean off,but they sure take some learning to enjoy.
I never did learn to enjoy them.

batmann
January 13, 2009, 03:55 PM
IMHO, the recoil of a standard .44M load is somewhat over rated. Good grips, proper hold and using an all steel revolver make it very manageable. I find that using normal loads (factory, not reloads) is easier in .44M than a 'hot' .357M.
I have both a S&W 'Mountain Gun' and a Ruger Alaskan and enjoy both. I like them both so much that I hardly even shoot my .357 Blackhawk much.
I really do think that the .44M/.44 SPL is one of the most, if not the most, versatile rounds available.
With the proper loads, and there are some out there, it makes a pretty fair SD weapon and with 240 grn and heavier loads a pretty fair hunting weapon.
Just my 2 cents worth.

ilmonster
January 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk. That video had to be with .44 spcls., which is what I shoot 95% of the time in mine. I have touched off a handful of 1400 fps. Speer Gold Dot hunting ammo and it looked nothing like that! The gun was pointing to the heavens after pulling the trigger, and I've been shooting for 20 years and weigh 175 lbs. Haven't tried any of the 1100 fps .44 Mag loads available (such as Winchester 240 SJSP white box).

wheelgunslinger
January 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think it's silly to say you're going to "man up" and get a .44. As if it has anything to do with being a man.
Some people are recoil sensitive. Some people like the concealability of the 357 pocket guns. And, some people just like shooting them more.

To say that shooting a 44 is something you need to man up to is kinda ignorant.

Sam1911
January 13, 2009, 05:57 PM
I shoot a 4" 629 quite a bit. About 100 rds. a week for at least part of the year. Most of that shooting is with .44 Specials. (200 gr. at 900 fps.) My 6 year old daughter shoots this load so it is far from painful.

I do though sometimes bring out a few of my magnum loads (300gr. at 1250 fps) for fun and run IDPA drills with them. I enjoy it and have no trouble getting hits (though recovery time between shots is slower than with the Spc. load). So I would say a 4" barrel is more than enough to control full-house loads.

But some of my friends who compete, and who have at least as much time behind the trigger as I do, don't care for magnums and will pass up the offer of shooting even a cylinder full.

Point is, it is so dependent on your personal physique, practice level, sensitivity, and attitude, that any advice we offer here has very little actual bearing on whether you will enjoy it. If you think you'd like a .44 Mag, I'd go ahead and get one. Worst case scenario: you don't care for the magnums and end up loading specials. Hey, that's a pretty GOOD "worst case!" :) And the strength of a .44 Mag gun means you can start with the powder-puffs and work up loads to whatever level you might find pleasant. I have a kind of "half-magnum" load (200 gr. at 1250 fps) that a lot of my pals enjoy shooting for "big-boom-effect" because it is quite a bit hotter than the guns they're used to, but it isn't up to a level they find painful.

That kind of versatility is a great thing! Yes, it also works with a .357. But with the .357 you don't have the option of going as far up the scale.

-Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Thought about a .357 but after seeing this, maybe a 44 mag isn't all that bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!