Why were these threads closed?

PDA

Golden Hound
January 13, 2009, 11:43 PM
There were a few threads closed today without any explanation.

Best Quotes from Gran Torino *SPOILERS*

England .... guns

"The Postman" - or, the value of a united, armed movement

Finally saw "Red Dawn"; Reactions & Question.

I can understand the first because it's a little too broad and vague for a gun-specific forum. But I don't really see why the others were closed. And I don't get why there was no explanation at all for it. I realize it is up to the moderators to close threads when they deem it appropriate to do so, but isn't it common practice for there to be an explanation as to WHY the thread was closed?

Particularly the Red Dawn thread. That's a classic gun movie and the majority of the conversation in the thread was indeed gun-related even if a few posts went off-topic. Why was it closed?

I realize that this thread itself will probably be closed eventually, and I don't have a problem with that, but I do hope that there will at least be an answer to my question.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why were these threads closed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Audrey
January 13, 2009, 11:55 PM
Good luck with this. I too have experienced random, arbitrary and contradictory closings.

We are in another's house and when we write something they don't like we are silenced.

We must open our own house if we want open-minded discussion.

yenchisks
January 13, 2009, 11:59 PM
the mediators are commie Russian b!@#$%;)

okespe04
January 14, 2009, 12:02 AM
I am new here but as far as I can tell this forum is almost entirely about weapons, firearms, laws, tactics ect. There is no general chatter section.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 14, 2009, 12:04 AM
I moved this to Technical Support as it is a more appropriate venue.

As I didn't close any of the threads in question, I can't give you the exact reasons. However, we have had a huge influx of movie threads and, for the most part, movie threads tend to discuss firearms to a lesser degree than other threads. The signal to noise ratio tends to be quite low. Just my two cents.

Golden Hound
January 14, 2009, 12:50 AM
I think movie threads should be allowed to stay open as long as there is at least SOME discussion of how they relate to firearms. Reason being: movies are very, very, very important as a cultural conduit for ideas in our society!! I guarantee you the average person spends more time watching movies than he does reading the news. Movies have incredible power to influence public opinion.

If even ONE person is doing a search on one of their favorite movies on a search engine, and is led to the THR forum by accident because the search engine logged a snippet of a discussion on the forum, that's one more person seeing the site and one more person who might be interested.

Besides, having a signal-to-noise ratio that leans more in the direction of the noise doesn't mean a thread should necessarily be closed, because there are still opportunities for signals to get through. I personally think a thread should only be closed if it a. is totally irrelevant to our forum, or b. has become "derailed" and turned into personal attacks.

Just MY two cents. But thank you for the explanation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why were these threads closed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!