FNG on reloading

PDA

KC
September 27, 2003, 04:47 AM
I just got a press this last week. The .45-70 should be a lot cheaper this way, but somewhat more time consuming than shelling out $20 a box. At any rate, I have read postings on what beginners should consider when starting out, and I thought that I might chip in a few of my own observations. (Not that I consider my self to be in any way, shape, or form to being an expert after one evening; simply closer to the start point than some of you who have been reloading for more years than I have been alive.)

- When setting up your press, it is important to consider not just the (obvious) downstroke forces on your mountings, but the upstoke pressure. This is important in sizing operations, but even more so on presses that have specific operations, such as priming, on the upstroke. It's a pain to have to stop loading to re-attach the press to the bench, or your mounting plate to bench.

-When first installing the bullet seating die, be sure to unscrew the adjustable cap all the way before you raise the ram, and then wonder why it is that the bullet is now buried halfway down into the case. :banghead: (When the bullet is too far down for an inertial puller to work, drywall screws work rather well, though are tough on the bullet.)

-Some presses, noteably Lee, are apparently designed for left-handed people, as most of the intricate operations are done with the left hand in the press's default configuration. For some of ust this is a welcome condition. If you are right had dominant, make sure that you can not only change which side the operating arm is on, but also that your right hand has clearance to perform its necessary tasks. If you buy from a retail store, this should be obvious, but if you buy online sight unseen, it is an important consideration.

There will doubtless be others, but that's what I noticed my first time through the process.

If you enjoyed reading about "FNG on reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
44and45
September 27, 2003, 12:00 PM
Hey, your gaining valuable experience every time you have a little set back, its all part of the learning curve.

I once read a new guy had mounted his press to a TV folding tray setup that was made of wood. Didn't know they made those things out of wood.

Might be alright for a primming operation...but barely.

You do need a good sturdy bench to mount the press on...one that don't move when the presses handle lever moves.

Keep at it new guy, you'll get there quicker than you think...and don't be afraid to ask questions of the people on this forum...there's a lot of collective experience out here.

44and45

dakotasin
September 27, 2003, 07:55 PM
access to forums like these will remove years from your learning curve...

If you enjoyed reading about "FNG on reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!