Concealed Carry Question

PDA

seuss
January 14, 2009, 10:16 PM
Does anybody know whether or not a simple possession charge (misdemeanor) could impede a person from obtaining their concealed weapons permit if the charge happened seven years ago in South Carolina?

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carry Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SeanMTX
January 14, 2009, 11:44 PM
As long as it is a Class C misdemeanor, you should be ok. (At least that's how it is in Texas)

If you get a felony or a Class A or B misdemeanor, you're out. (DUI, theft etc)

expvideo
January 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
Does anybody know whether or not a simple possession charge (misdemeanor) could impede a person from obtaining their concealed weapons permit if the charge happened seven years ago in South Carolina?
Assuming that it was not a felony, and that you're not a fugitive from justice, it shouldn't be a problem. Check your local gun laws, but this is the case almost everywhere. Go apply for that CWP! Good luck!

NavyLCDR
January 15, 2009, 12:06 AM
Depends upon your state laws. I would go and apply, answer all questions truthfully on the application. The most they can do, if you put honest answers on the application, is deny it.

Frog48
January 15, 2009, 11:28 AM
As long as it is a Class C misdemeanor, you should be ok. (At least that's how it is in Texas)

If you get a felony or a Class A or B misdemeanor, you're out. (DUI, theft etc)

Partially correct... A felony or misdemeanor domestic violence conviction disqualifies for life. Class A & B misdemeanors make you ineligible for 5 years.

seuss
January 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
I just wanted to know whether or not to get my hopes up. Im going to apply as soon as i get the money. Thanks for all you help

franconialocal
January 15, 2009, 08:32 PM
Having been a few years ago, you should probably make the effort to have the charge expunged from your record. It tends to be a long, drawn out process, but it would be in your best interests. Keep in mind, this will only erase your CONVICTION record, NOT your ARREST record. That, unfortunately, never goes away (as far as I know....and speaking from experience :banghead:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carry Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!