Need good reloading book

PDA

ghh3rd
January 15, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have forgotten the title of the reloading book that seems to be most suggested on the forum...

Thanks,

Randy

If you enjoyed reading about "Need good reloading book" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 15, 2009, 02:47 PM
Lyman #49.

If you can only have one, that is the one to have.

rc

SSN Vet
January 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
the ABCs of Reloading is popular.

I have it and like it, but it's not a reloading manual in that it does not tabulate load data.

Lyman #49 is on my short list

The Bushmaster
January 15, 2009, 03:11 PM
Lyman's 49th Edition.

ReloaderFred
January 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
The Lyman series of reloading manuals is at the top of the list. They have the 49th Edition Reloading Handbook, the Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook, and the Shotgun Reloading Handbook. All are top notch.

Hope this helps.

Fred

the_right_reverend
January 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
I 3rd you on the Lyman #49 and i like the loads book also

azar
January 15, 2009, 07:54 PM
As you can see, most people here will end up recommending the Lyman manual. I purchased Lyman #48 one or two years ago for a friend who wanted to get into reloading and I liked it enough that I wanted it for myself. I have this bad habit of buying a book right before the next version comes out, so I decided to wait.

It took a little longer than I expected but It finally came out this summer and my copy is on the UPS truck as we speak.

As far as brand specific goes, I also really like Hornady #7. Speer #13 is decent too (I haven't looked at #14). If you already know that you will shoot a lot of one particular brand of bullet (Nosler, Barnes, etc) I'd also recommend grabbing their manual as well. The downside of that is they, of course, only show data for their components. That's one reason why Lyman is so popular. It shows loads for a range of bullet weights and various manufacturers.

Most powder manufacturers have gobs of data available over the web for free, so don't count out the internet as a good resource. Just a small tip: Stick with the websites of reputable companies (Hodgdon, Ramshot, Alliant, etc) and not personal sites. You can move on to those once you know what you are doing and have enough experience to recognize a dangerous load when you see one.

jcwit
January 15, 2009, 08:14 PM
Plus again on the Lyman 49, I also like the Lee manual.

NCsmitty
January 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have the Lyman 48th & 46th editions as well as a dozen other manuals. Always good to have references, old and new, available to compare. It will enable you to cross check data to make informed decisions. The online data is mostly current and essential in the mix too.

NCsmitty

arizona98tj
January 15, 2009, 11:13 PM
I had bought Lyman's 48th shortly before #49 came out....so I don't have the 49th edition and most likely won't for a while. I also bought their 45th when it came out and still use that one....it is interesting to see the load changes in some of the powders. They have grown more conservative it would seem.

I also use Hornady's 3rd edition which dates back 29 years. Anything else I need is usually obtained on-line from the powder manufacturers. However, I tend to stick with the same powders I started with years ago as I'm satisfied with the results I get. I've never belonged to the powder of the month club....couldn't afford to. :)

rfwobbly
January 16, 2009, 01:11 PM
Lyman

Iheartguns
January 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
Modern Reloading 2nd Edition isn't bad if you can get past the blatant Lee superiority complex. I have it and enjoy some of Richard Lee's descriptions of the processes. Usually after a particularly enlightening paragraph describing a process in great detail he goes immediately into a diatribe about why Lee products do whatever that process is better than anyone else, who by the way are all overpriced Lee-wannabes. Just ask Richard Lee. The reloading tables, I think, are very good. DISCLAIMER: I haven't looked at NEARLY the quantity manuals that others on here have so take that for what it's worth.

I also own Speer 13 - while having great writeups about each cartridge that I enjoy reading, it assumes you're using Speer bullets and starting loads seem very hot - they're all about a grain or so OVER what Modern Reloading and the powder manufacturers recommend for starting loads. Plus, if you're buying Speer bullets, you might as well just buy factory cause they ain't cheap.

My 2 cents.
Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "Need good reloading book" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!