Winchester short magnums

PDA

k9870
January 15, 2009, 07:09 PM
some seem rediculously up there, like 43 a box for 7mm:eek:, but sometimes i see 300wsm only a few dolalrs more than 300winmag. how much of a difference do they make? do you think they'll be around long? cheap enough to shoot if handloaded and reloaded? seen some nice looking rifles chambered in it but wondering how much of the wsms are hype

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester short magnums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
January 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
Winchester short magnums respond well to reloading and generally are potent and accurate. They just suffer from the short action blues. You cannot seat the bullet out too far in most of them due to the short magazines.
They do seem to be gaining in popularity. The 7MM WSM is a great cartridge and is close to the 7MM RUM and exceeds the 7MM Rem. Mag ballistics.

NCsmitty

unlearned69
January 15, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've seen Winchester ammunition for .270WSM and .300WSM recently for under $30 a box. I think the popularity is increasing, so sales are making prices fall a bit. I'm chomping for a .270WSM to go with my .270Win

January 15, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have a .300 WSM and it is a VERY accurate rifle with my reloads. The supposed advantage of the .300 WSM is that you have the ballistics of a .300 Win Mag but in a short action rifle although I'm not sure why that's necessarily a good or better thing (other than reduction in weight). Also, I don't know why .300 WSM ammunition would cost more than .300 Win Mag. There's less powder, often a smaller (lighter) bullet, less brass in the case and no belt to worry about so .300 WSM should be cheaper than .300 Win Mag. :confused:

:)

mudstud
January 15, 2009, 08:13 PM
I love my 7mmWSM, and part of the reason IS the short action! :D

huntershooter
January 15, 2009, 08:50 PM
My 7mm WSM only sees reloads.
Hence, it is no more expensive (excluding additional powder and brass cost) to shoot than a 7X57 or 7/08 .

Gordon
January 15, 2009, 08:50 PM
I love my .270 WSM, never thought I'd say that! The thing easily gives another 150 FPS more than very hot loaded .270 Winchesters which I been shooting 40 years.It is more accurate too, than I ever got the regular one to be.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester short magnums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!