Hawes .357 value?

PDA

Tim13
January 15, 2009, 09:28 PM
I've been wanting a cowboy action revolver for a while, but haven't wanted to pony up the $400 for every used Ruger I see. This type of revolver would just be a once in a while plinker at the range for me, so I don't want to break the bank.

I found locally a Hawes single action cowboy type revolver in a gun shop. It's blued, with no nothing walnut grips. It has fixed sights. The overall condition of the bluing is an honest 90%. The barrel was marked "made in Germany", and not "West Germany" like I've seen others post about these guns.

From what I gather from the very little I've been able to find online, these are revolvers of decent quality, but they don't command higher prices because they're not really collectible. From what I've read, they are shooters, not "oooh, look what I've got" guns.

The asking price is $199. I think it's a consignment gun, so there may be a little room for haggling. Would this be a fair price?

Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "Hawes .357 value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moonclip
January 16, 2009, 06:50 AM
It seems fair but I think it could be had for a bit less. They are decent but not really collectible as mentioned.

I think the EAA big bore bounty hunter revolvers are basically the same guns.

scbair
January 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
The old hawes single-actions were built by Sauer & Sohn of Germany; very well-made, and (when manufactured & imported) a lot cheaper than Rugers (nevermind Colts). I recall seeing the .44 mag Western Marshal for sale in a K-Mart, when I was a teenager :eek: for about $97 . . .

I have a .44 mag Hawes Federal Marshal (brass grip strap, one-piece French Walnut grips, "case-hardened" frame); it's got a very smooth action and light, crisp trigger. It also has SAA-style fixed sights and 1960s-era metallurgy. I shoot .44 Specials through it, for fun. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hawes .357 value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!