I'm looking to buy M4 upper but I need legal advice....

PDA

EHL
January 15, 2009, 11:32 PM
I have a question for you gun afficionados. I'm looking at getting an M4 upper and I stumbled on more than a few auctions offering M4 uppers at a nice price, but the barrels are way below the 16" minimum. These barrels are 11.5" and I don't think the bird cage is 4.5" long. So my question is, is it even legal to own these if you're a non LEO or Military?? I wonder why they even sell them with this barrel that is obviously for military use. Let me know what you guys think. Here's the link for one of the auctions.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120546784

If I bought this, would I get nice fat fine and possibly prison time?? Or would this qualify as an AR pistol??
Thanks for the info.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm looking to buy M4 upper but I need legal advice...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartkowski
January 15, 2009, 11:34 PM
You can buy them. You just have to fill out some paper work, wait to be approved, and pay $200 to put them on a rifle lower.

billwiese
January 16, 2009, 02:48 AM
Do not buy a shorty upper (under 16") if you only own AR rifle/receivers.

If you (also) own an AR pistol/receiver then you can have a shorty upper [even if you also own a rifle. Just don't put the shorty upper on the rifle.]

Davek1977
January 16, 2009, 07:22 AM
Do not buy a shorty upper (under 16") if you only own AR rifle/receivers.

If you (also) own an AR pistol/receiver then you can have a shorty upper [even if you also own a rifle. Just don't put the shorty upper on the rifle.]

or, if one so chooses, he/she can legally mount it after registering it as a SBR

Trebor
January 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
Do you know the procedure for registering a rifle as a "Short Barreled Rifle" with the ATF?

Are you planning to pay the $200 Federal tax required to register your rifle as a SBR?

Does your state even allow you to own a SBR? (Not all states do, even though registered SBR's are legal under Federal law).

Unless you deliberately plan to regiser your rifle as a SBR, and pay the $200 tax, do NOT buy an upper with less then a 16" barrel.

So, in short, don't buy that 11.5 upper, unless you know what you are doing and know how to get the tax stamp and pay the tax.

waterhouse
January 16, 2009, 12:53 PM
I wonder why they even sell them with this barrel that is obviously for military use.

As mentioned, you can put them on pistol ARs with no stock, or you can put them on registered Short Barreled Rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm looking to buy M4 upper but I need legal advice...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!