your thoughts on my idea for a carbine...

PDA

Deadmanwalking_05
January 16, 2009, 12:05 PM
How about a Springfield M-1903 rifle chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO,scale it down to fit the Carbine role with a 161/2-inch barrel,shorter length of pull on a straight grip stock,Standard rear sights (Just like the originals) update it to be able to use a modern bayonet/Knife,chrome line the barrel and chamber, have it set up to load with stripper clips,and I think it would be a good little farm/home defense gun.

What do you guys think about the project rifle I have in mind?

If you enjoyed reading about "your thoughts on my idea for a carbine..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
Sounds cool. I do like the 30-06 in a 1903, but the smaller round would be easier to shoot (and cheaper) out of that light rifle.

CZ makes a little bolt rifle with a detatchable box magazine that is probably the closest thing to your idea.

I look forward to seeing the results!

Deadmanwalking_05
January 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm in the planning stages right now.

(Plus the saving money stage)

plinky
January 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a good practical concept. That said, between the parts and the work involved with some of the features, it won't be a cheap rifle. Might cost as much as a low end AR15. :eek: But maybe you have some of the parts or plan to do most of the work yourself(?). And cost is not the only factor.

The fly in the ointment for me would be the action. It's way big for 5.56. Modding the bolt and mag to work with the little round....while do-able it would be doing things the hard way. If you want a Mauser type action, the CZ might be the best start like ROTR said. At least I think it's a Mini Mauser type.

I have always wanted to do a Rem. Model 7 in .223 or .308 altered to take detachable mags from AR or M1A depending on which cartridge. I'd like iron sights w/ peep and 2-7X compact scope on detachable mounts. Probably a 20" barrel. Hadn't thought about any other features.

Me, I'd stick to commercial actions sized for the round. A short action Savage would be a good start and are nice to tinker with.

That's the nice thing about custom rifles though. You can have it your way. Hope you see it through.

paintballdude902
January 16, 2009, 06:46 PM
how bout 5.45x39? 90 percent cheaper!!!! lol

i like the idea i want a small bolt action with some power id really like either a cz or ruger in 7.62x39 too bad i dont have the money

Loggerlee
January 16, 2009, 06:55 PM
I would not hack a 03'A3 like that,but that's just me.
I am doing almost the same thing with a Mauser,going to cut it down so it's not so dang long,should be a good one,if I do everything right.
Maybe you want to do the same thing?

HorseSoldier
January 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a handy little carbine.

For a defensive rifle, I'd much rather have a semi auto, though, and I'm not sure how practical the bayonet mount would be. Don't hear about a lot of home defense scenarios involving bayonets . . .

Deadmanwalking_05
January 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not talking about hacking up a good rifle,I'm talking about a custom build mini-1903 from the ground up,it's going to take a lot of money no doubt,but it'll be worth it in the long run.

arizona98tj
January 16, 2009, 09:42 PM
When I think of a farm gun, it reminds me of one that gets tossed into the pickup truck to go dispense a varmint as necessary, get rid of stray/wild dogs chasing deer, porcupines, etc.....at least that is what we used a farm gun for when I was living on a farm/ranch.

That being said, a Saiga .223 would be an excellent farm gun and you wouldn't have to worry about a high priced custom rifle getting dinged up in the pickup truck. Not saying your idea isn't a good one.....I personally wouldn't use it for a farm gun. Sounds like it would be too nice for that.

jgatsios
January 16, 2009, 09:56 PM
Robinson Armament XCR in 7.62 X 39.

If you enjoyed reading about "your thoughts on my idea for a carbine..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!