Help me start reloading 500 S&W magnum.

PDA

twoclones
January 17, 2009, 06:31 PM
I am ready to buy the equipment to start reloading 500 S&W Magnum but researching has only caused more confusion. Too many choices!

Redhawk1 and a couple others recommend a single stage press for "the big boys". But which press and what else must I buy before I can make my first reload? Should I work from a list or buy a kit?

Note that I do not want to buy based on what is cheaper. I'd much prefer to buy what is most accurate and trouble free.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me start reloading 500 S&W magnum." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scott23
January 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
Single stage press such as a RCBS Rockchucker is the ticket, unless your planning to pump out hundreds of rounds. As far as dies I would recomend a Redding titainium carbide pistol die set as they need no lubrication and are well made. The set comes with a sizing die, flaring die, and a seater. The seating die doubles as a seater and crimp die in one, but I would recomend doing these two in seperate operations. By doing this, your reloads will be more accurate. You will also need a chamfer tool for the case mouthes, a primer pocket deburring tool, a set of calipiers, a priming tool which I use a Sinclair primming tool. It is a bit expensive but, has the best feel of any of the other tools I've tried and is very smooth. A shell holder of the approperate size, powder scale, case cleaner (tumbler). I'm not sure how much the 500 S&W case will stetch after fireing but, you may want to investin a case trimmer as well. Wilson makes a excellent case trimmer. Check out Sinclair International. They have everything you could ever want or need for reloading. Good luck, I hope this was helpful.

jerkface11
January 17, 2009, 07:38 PM
PM me when you're ready to buy some dies. I've got an RCBS set i'm not using.

dmproske
January 19, 2009, 07:07 AM
I was using a Lee Carbide set of dies for the .500, I was not impressed. The seating die had problems with seating the bullets crooked and damaging the soft point tips. Also had problems getting a good crimp. I just got a new set of RCBS carbide dies for the .500, have not used them yet.

As far as a press, i use the Lee Classic Cast and use the priming arm on the press to prime the cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me start reloading 500 S&W magnum." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!