Safety Detent Spring for AR-15

PDA

DrTHE0P0LIS
January 17, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hey, all. I was putting some Hogue grips on my new AR-15 and lost the safety detent spring. Well, I didn't lose it. It just popped out and I figured it came from the hole where the grip screw drops in so I shoved it in there and tightened down the bolt. Results were... not encouraging. Anywho... no problem finding a replacement spring, but but I really don't feel like paying $8.00 to ship an $0.80 spring. Anybody know where I can order one with a reasonable shipping rate?

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Detent Spring for AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mot45acp
January 17, 2009, 09:28 PM
This will make some cry but to get by you might could use a spring from a retractable pen.

If that doesnt float your boat order one of the spare parts kits with springs n pins ($25-$40) That way if it happens again you have spares.

Bushmaster offers one as well as DPMS. I dont know if DPMS still has free shipping on orders over $25

TRGRHPY
January 17, 2009, 09:30 PM
I would check a local shop first...and spend $8 in gas instead...haha

Unless they're willing to put it in an envelope...call and ask them.

KW
January 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
A local shop might be willing to add it to a larger shop order and save you the shipping. I take it you've realized that the spring does not go in the same hole as the grip screw? There should be a small hole in the receiver, exactly the right size for the spring, that is covered by the grip when it's attached.

matrem
January 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
"to get by you might could use a spring from a retractable pen."
I will attest to that ! And I'll add that a piece of either 12 or 14 ? gauge solid copper wire works rather well as the detent. About three years and several hundred rounds later,haven't bothered to change them,even though I now have the "correct" parts on hand.
I will add.. This is NOT a "primary" weapon.

JDGray
January 17, 2009, 10:34 PM
Midway has better shipping prices, but will get you with a $3 surcharge. Still ends up close to seven bucks.

DrTHE0P0LIS
January 17, 2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks, all. Yes, KW, I did learn that the hard way. 30 minutes to remove the crushed, twisted mass from the grip screw shaft and I won't be making that mistake again.

Anyway, I just spent like 3 hours looking for the best deal. Over like $8.00. I bit the bullet and ordered it from Brownell's. Horrible price on the spring but cheap shipping. Cost was still around $8.00. Live and learn, eh?

Also, what the deal with Midway's surcharge? Thanks again for all of the help.

JDGray
January 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
Also, what the deal with Midway's surcharge?
It's only on orders under $20 or $25 bucks:scrutiny:

zoom6zoom
January 18, 2009, 01:36 PM
"to get by you might could use a spring from a retractable pen."
works fine for the buffer retainer detent spring, too. I never did get around to ordering the "real" one.

DrTHE0P0LIS
January 18, 2009, 04:37 PM
I gave the pen spring a shot but it was too big (diameter). But the spring from a Bic lighter works just fine! It's a lot less robust, a bit loose, but it works. Perhaps it was just the type of pen I tried to use. Either way, thanks for the help!

BsChoy
January 19, 2009, 08:28 AM
The pen springs seem as though they would be WAY too light a gauge for the safety detent. I'm a colt armorer and the springs for those parts are more beefy than the take down pins or the buffer tube detent.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Detent Spring for AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!