Need 500 S&W Info/Components

PDA

redintex
January 17, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am new in getting into 500 S&W. Did some searching, but still coming up short...

I need dies for a 550B.

I need good sources for brass and bullets - nothing fancy to start - lead is just fine.

Is W231 okay to use for some of these loads? I have not seen much for it, but would like to stick with it for continuity sake from other calibers.

Thanks in advance!
redintex

If you enjoyed reading about "Need 500 S&W Info/Components" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ClemY
January 17, 2009, 10:41 PM
In addition to the loading dies, you need a large powder die for the .500 mag in the Dillon 550. I use a 550 to load the .500 myself. It works well. I think I have the Redding Competition Pro series dies with the Redding micrometer bullet seating die. Hornady, Lee, RCBS, Lyman also make them.

neal7250
January 18, 2009, 04:15 AM
redintex is dead on about the 550 Dillon doing a great job on the 500 S&W. he is also right on about needing that large powder die for that powder funnel.

You might want to take a look at the new Hornady dies. I just purchaced a set of the new Hornady custom dies in 500, and was pleasently surprised, at the quality, that Hornady is displaying. They actually supplied a taper crimp die in the set, making it a four die set.

dmproske
January 19, 2009, 06:02 AM
W231 is way to fast for that cartridge. I use H Lil Gun. H110 will also work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need 500 S&W Info/Components" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!