AR-15 OAL mag question on 75gr bullets

PDA

hershey
January 18, 2009, 04:29 PM
i am certain i am not the first to encounter this, i am having to seat my bullets real deep to get them to fit the ar-15 mag, my first thought was maybe not all mags are the same, i/e some might have a little more room in them, maybe some one out there will know. i am attempting to load hornady a-max with the plastic tips on them, is this the source of my error, i do have 75 gr. hpbt's i could load instead/too. how are you all dealing w/ this? the rifle is a 24" wilson barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 OAL mag question on 75gr bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45ACPUSER
January 18, 2009, 05:14 PM
You can not load the 75gr AMax to mag length. It is a VLD type of bullet, and if you had consulted the Hornady manual you woul have gleaned such information. They have to be loaded singlely, and you have to set them up to be near the lands.

ants
January 18, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have that same setup, 24" Wilson bull barrel using 75 grain A-Max. I load to 2.250" to fit the standard AR magazine (all my magazines are the same dimensions, larger magazines wouldn't fit in the magwell) and the OAL includes the little red tip. They shoot extremely well. The palm of my hand covers my groups at 300 yards, as long as a breeze isn't blowing. 75 grains sure get blown about by the wind, but A-Max bullets are definitely capable of accuracy.

Lyman manual lists those A-Max bullets at minimum 2.390" overall length.

kelbro
January 19, 2009, 06:42 PM
Shoot the 75gr HPBT. They shoot very well at mag length.

hershey
January 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
thanx for the input, i was leaning towards abandoning the a-max idea for mag feeding, i still want to reasearch different mags, i have stainless, aluminum, and plastic, i am willing to bet that some will take longer oal's than others.

and i confess, 3 loading manuals is not enough to cover everything, i thought i'd be good to w/ the new sierra, but am finding it to not be my prefered manual, there loads are usually lower than hodgdon's

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 OAL mag question on 75gr bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!