SBR and Suppressor Application Process....

PDA

nwilliams
January 18, 2009, 10:58 PM
For those of you who have SBR's and Silenced firearms can you walk me through the process? I'm not so interested in full auto but I would love to own an SBR and or suppressed firearm.

From those who have been-there-done-that, help convince me that it's not as hard as they make it out to be.

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR and Suppressor Application Process...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
January 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
There are 2 different things depending on where you are getting the things.

If you are building your own, which is usually the case with an SBR, you need to fill out what's commonly called a "Form 1". That's an application to "make" an NFA weapon. With this form you become the manufacturer. You are making a Title 2 weapon where none existed before.

Now, to buy something already built, either a suppressor or an SBR, you will buy from a dealer and fill out something called a Form 4.

Both these forms require a $200 tax stamp to be approved and in your hands before you can either "make" the item or take delivery from a dealer.

That's about it.

The hard part is that you must get a signature from the Chief LE officer where you live. Normally that's either the Sheriff or the Chief of Police, though there are others on the ATF approved list.

If you can't get the signature, you may have to look into forming a trust or corporation. Little more complicated there.

Mostly it's just money and time.

There are some engraving requirements too by the way if you decide to make your own.

It's not a big deal really.

BlacklabelOP
January 18, 2009, 11:08 PM
Forming a trust with Quicken will maker ain't that tough... Then your trustee's can be in control of your weapon in your absence without paying another stamp.

I am doing a trust for my suppressor and sbr, I would post a link to the tutorial but it is a members only site in OR..

TexasRifleman
January 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
Good article on the trust thing:

http://arizonagunlist.com/article.html

And a follow up article a little later:

http://arizonagunlist.com/article2.html

There are things that you might want to look into with Quicken, like what happens if you become incapacitated and cannot manage the trust.

Dunno if Quicken is that thorough. It is not the ATF's responsibility to verify that your trust was done correctly so just be careful.

ScottsGT
January 18, 2009, 11:33 PM
In a nutshell, along with the Form 4, you need two passport photos and two fingerprint cards along with the signoff. Oh, and about 4 to 6 months of time on your hands to wait on the Form 4 to come back with the Tax stamp. Stamp collecting can be fun :D

Prince Yamato
January 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
NWilliams,

Contact Dave at AugustArms/FullAutos in Albuquerque. He's one of the biggest class 3 dealers in NM. He has a HUGE selection of just about anything you could want. In addition, you can rent many of the guns there. I always enjoyed shooting the breeze with him when I lived in Albuquerque.

nwilliams
January 19, 2009, 12:04 AM
cool thanks, I'll definitely check them out.

And thanks for all the info guys, this if very helpful!

WoofersInc
January 19, 2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, and about 4 to 6 months of time on your hands to wait on the Form 4 to come back with the Tax stamp. Stamp collecting can be fun

My last form 4 was a grand total of 48 days from the time I bought the suppressor to the time I picked it up. ATF has actually gotten faster processing them. This was this past summer though. Time might have slowed again since the election and demand has gone up.

ScottsGT
January 19, 2009, 11:36 PM
My timeline.....

Sent off everything on July 18th

Check cleared July 27th

Form 4 returned to FFL on Oct. 7th due to my name not on CLEO sign off area.

Called on Oct. 27, and approved.

FFL called Nov. 17th and approved/stamped form just arrived back to him.

4 MONTHS total time!

DoubleTapDrew
January 20, 2009, 01:38 AM
The hardest part is the wait. Then when you finally get the call from your NFA dealer that your stamp arrived you get a giddy feeling and have the urge to tell them you'll be right over, regardless of what you are doing at the time.

Process: Find what you want and buy it (meaning pay for it...you can't take it home just yet). Fill out a form 4 (or if you buy it though a dealer they'll give you it) in duplicate. Fill out citizenship form (just 1 of those). Go to a place that does passport photos and get 2. Go to your sheriff's office with the forms and get fbi fingerprint forms done (2) and leave the form 4s for the chief law enforcement officer to sign.
Pick em up. Send the pair of form 4s, pair of photographs, pair of fingerprints, the citizenship form and a check for $200 to the ATF.
Sit and wait......

ETA: If you want to fill out the forms online and print them out you can do so here: Title II (http://www.titleii.com/Forms.htm) The citizenship form I referred to is the certificate of compliance. Form 4 for buying a suppressor or SBR (transfer form). Form 1 for making a suppressor or SBR (manuf. form).

Mot45acp
January 20, 2009, 09:14 PM
For those of us with minor brushes with the law, what would be disqualifying in the eyes of the ATF?

I passed the CHL check and can pass a NICS check (after a delay)

ryanl
January 21, 2009, 10:32 AM
You should be alright then. I believe the things that would DQ you from NFA ownership are very simliar if not identical to CHP

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR and Suppressor Application Process...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!