Censorship and moderator opinion?

PDA

trlcavscout
January 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
Is it just me or is their alot of both going on? Alot of threads getting locked for different reasons. No 1st amendment here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Censorship and moderator opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
john1911
January 20, 2009, 02:19 PM
No, you (nor I) don't have any 1A rights here. Do I have the right to come into your house and call you and your family profane names?

Private site...obey their rules.

Eightball
January 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
That being said, john1911 kind of got it; it's a private site, and they moderate it. Follow their rules, don't be stupid, and take "the high road," and you won't run wrong of them. It's pretty simple, really.

Beren
January 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html

Feel free to ask the locking mod if you're unsure why something was locked. I haven't locked this thread, but I did move it to Technical Support from GGD.

MT GUNNY
January 20, 2009, 02:23 PM
I learned a long time ago that this is Someone else's House.. Read the Rules of the House.. I started a thread on the Same Subject Check it out!!!
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=287073

Bill_Rights
January 20, 2009, 02:25 PM
I had a recent post edited down by a moderator to remove "OT" (off topic, I guess) portions. The Mod did a good job of editing. Turned out to be a very appropriate edit. The originator of the thread was just trying to decide what kind of 125-yard-reach weapon to buy for home defense, on a budget. I launched all political/legal on him, which would have befaffled him, for sure.

I saw somewhere (look at the "sticky" threads/posts near the top of the major catagories - you know, the ones we're all supposed to read before we post!) that a lot of the moderating has to do with protecting ourselves from the anti-gun activists, who may take our content out of context to smear our RKBA movement. Good point!

Old Fuff
January 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
Don't think it's so much a case of csnsorship as it is having high standards and enforcing them. As for moderators, someone has to make a call, just like they do in spectator sports. Sometimes they aren't too popular, but they are necessary.

Most of our moderators are in it for the big money they make, maybe all of those bucks has given them an attitude. :D

Boba Fett
January 20, 2009, 02:43 PM
Don't think it's so much a case of censorship as it is having high standards and enforcing them. As for moderators, someone has to make a call, just like they do in spectator sports. Sometimes they aren't too popular, but they are necessary.

+1

Just had a thread/poll of my own closed. Am I upset? Not at all. Kudos for the moderators keeping things tidy. I would have liked to see the poll results I started, but I'm not petty and am more interested in keeping the forum running smoothly and orderly. So the moderators are doing a good job by shutting down my poll.

distra
January 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
Is it just me or is their alot of both going on? Alot of threads getting locked for different reasons.

Yep. silliness if you ask me. See it before though. No inauguration day threads, yet there's one going for 2 pages. :confused: Mine was closed after 4 posts. I don't really care that mine was closed only that the rules seem to be enforced for some and not others. :rolleyes:

Walkalong
January 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
Don't think it's so much a case of csnsorship as it is having high standards and enforcing them. As for moderators, someone has to make a call, just like they do in spectator sports. Sometimes they aren't too popular, but they are necessary.
Private site...obey their rules.Yep.
No inauguration day threads
We are here to talk about guns, not politics.

rbernie
January 20, 2009, 04:06 PM
I thought that Thursday was the approved day for 'bashing the Moderators' threads - no?

distra
January 20, 2009, 05:22 PM
We are here to talk about guns, not politics.

Since when has a gun purchasing thread that happens to be on inauguration day not about guns? :confused:

Walkalong
January 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know. Was it about guns, or Inauguration Day.
No inauguration day threads
This made it sound like a thread about Inauguration Day.

Mal H
January 20, 2009, 05:48 PM
distra - you can go on and on about this, or you can live with it unhappily in solitude, your choice, neither action/inaction will change anything about your locked thread. But, please consider that, by policy, we have never allowed duplicate threads on the same subject. Your thread was, in essence, a duplicate of the thread that is continuing. Consider it closed for that reason; maybe that will make you a little happier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Censorship and moderator opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!