A few off-topic posts do not make the whole thread off topic

PDA

Golden Hound
January 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm sick of the moderators closing good threads just because a few posts stray off topic. It's getting ridiculous.

My thread about the movie Defiance (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=420739) was just locked because a few posts were talking about the TV movie "Uprising" which was slightly off topic. This was NOT a justifiable reason to close the thread and I ask that the thread be re-opened.

The purpose of the thread was to discuss the historical firearms used in the film "Defiance." That is as gun-related as a thread can possibly be. Just because a few posts in that thread went off-topic doesn't mean that the whole thread is automatically off topic. In this case, it could easily return to its original purpose - but now it's too late, because it was unfairly locked.

Please, moderators. Enough. If a thread is really genuinely off-topic, please do close it. But a few stray posts don't mean that the whole thread needs to be locked down. We're not little children here - we have the ability to discuss things without being constantly corrected or scolded. I ask that the moderators here try to have a little more leeway instead of just blowing the whistle at the slightest thing.

You want to do that, fine - then all the threads can be "9mm vs .45" or "AK vs. AR" or "best .22 for the money" or "IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE GUN" or all the other threads that have been rehashed nine billion times. Let's have some variety here and not just stick to an incredibly narrow definition of what's gun-related.

If you enjoyed reading about "A few off-topic posts do not make the whole thread off topic" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MIgunguy
January 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sick of the moderators closing good threads just because a few posts stray off topic. It's getting ridiculous.

No kidding. I've noticed the more interesting reads always soon get locked, the Defiance thread being one of them.:banghead:

CoRoMo
January 20, 2009, 06:08 PM
It happens.

Ridgerunner665
January 20, 2009, 06:11 PM
I agree...there is a bit of "overmoderating" going on here.

Just my opinion...but I am entitled to that.

Jeff White
January 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Golden Hound,
There were more posts talking about antigun actors playing in action movies, other movies and other actors then there were about the guns used in Defiance. In fact you made this post that was off topic:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5264206&postcount=28

We aren't a movie review site.

You want to do that, fine - then all the threads can be "9mm vs .45" or "AK vs. AR" or "best .22 for the money" or "IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE GUN" or all the other threads that have been rehashed nine billion times. Let's have some variety here and not just stick to an incredibly narrow definition of what's gun-related.

We do Hollywood's antigun bias at least as much as any of the threads you just named.

A quick search of your posts shows you like to talk about movies. Maybe you'd be happier on a movie forum then a firearms forum?

Ridgerunner665
January 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
Agreed...too many movies.

My case in point is this one... http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=414296

It had ventured sorta off topic...but it was still valid and interesting discussion on alternatives to Sierra's bullets.

I didn't see the point in closing it.

I could find a few more examples...and I know moderating isn't all "peaches and cream" and that its impossible to make everybody happy...but as long as its topic related, an ongoing discussion can be more interesting and educational than strictly staying on topic.

Too much on topic always ends the same way...repeating itself.

Gryffydd
January 20, 2009, 07:52 PM
A quick search of your posts shows you like to talk about movies. Maybe you'd be happier on a movie forum then a firearms forum?

Um...wow. Comments like this make me want to just go back to lurking.

taliv
January 20, 2009, 08:06 PM
relax guys. people are just trying to keep the signal to noise bearable.

if you want to talk about movies, click the link on the top right that says "APS" and create all the movie posts you want

Ridgerunner665
January 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
people are just trying to keep the signal to noise bearable.

Understood...and I'm relaxed.

Just thought I'd "express my views" on it.

Golden Hound
January 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
It isn't like a little discussion of movies, or a little off-topic discussion of anything, is going to somehow cause the whole forum to collapse. It's not as if one thread veering off-topic into a discussion not related to guns is going to make all of the other gun-related discussion disappear.

In fact, there are far more specifically-focused forums on this site than just General Gun Discussions. (Do I really have to spell this out? I will anyway.) There's already a rifle forum for specific discussion of rifles. There's a handgun forum (THREE of them) for specific discussion of handguns. There's a shotgun forum for specific discussion of shotguns. There's a competition forum for specific discussion of competition shooting. There's a hunting forum for specific discussion of hunting.

You're telling me that the ONE forum, General Gun Discussions, that does not have a narrow focus, isn't narrowly-focused enough? Are you kidding? There are seven other narrowly-focused, highly-specific forums to discuss every conceivable sort of firearm in, and we're not even allowed to talk a little about movies in General Gun Discussions?

That's so illogical you'd think Sarah Brady came up with it.

And I don't like being told to "take it to APS" because nobody goes to APS. Right now APS has 32 active users on the forum. Thehighroad.org has TWO THOUSAND AND SEVENTY. Really, now, which of those forums do you think I am going to want to be on?

I don't want to go to another forum. I like this one. I like the people here. I like the sense of community here. I even like the moderators here. I just think they should take it a little easy with the thread closings.

taliv
January 20, 2009, 08:31 PM
maybe nobody goes to APS because everything there is off-topic.

maybe if everybody here posted just one thing that was a little off-topic, this place would degenerate into myspace with an occasional picture of some 15 yr old in his bedroom posing with his airsoft collection. and eventually, no one would be here either.

Golden Hound
January 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
So then you're admitting that telling people to go to APS is basically like saying "go **** off."

No, allowing a little bit of off-topic discussion on this forum is not going to turn it into Myspace. Why would people who just want to talk about random crap decide to register on a gun forum to do so?

You've made a huge leap of logic and I don't understand it at all. I wrote five well-reasoned paragraphs defending my point of view and your response is like a dismissive wave of the hand. I like to think that at least some thought would go into this stuff instead of just making the assumption the THR would immediately degenerate into nonsense if just a little off-topic discussion was allowed? And again I'm not saying that you shouldn't close a thread if the whole thread is off topic. My argument is that a thread can contain a few posts that are off topic, and not automatically become an off-topic thread.

taliv
January 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
no, I'm saying if you really think 2000 people want to read what you have to say about movies, then go post it over there and they will come.

if all the gun owners got out and voted, we wouldn't have the political environment we have today.

similarly;

if all the people who wanted to post about off-topic stuff would just go to APS and do it, then APS might be a great community too

my recommendation to you is to go post what you want at APS and then put a link to it in the thread here where you think it might be relevant, along with something on-topic of value. that way, 2000 people will see your link, and if they want to discuss it, the discussion will happen in the appropriate venue

Jeff White
January 20, 2009, 09:27 PM
No, allowing a little bit of off-topic discussion on this forum is not going to turn it into Myspace. Why would people who just want to talk about random crap decide to register on a gun forum to do so?

We tried an off topic forum. It didn't work. THR has a mission. That mission is to promote the responsible use of firearms. Off topic discussions do not support that mission. As to why people who just want to talk about random crap register on a gun forum, who knows? It's not really relevant. However people who register on a gun forum to talk about guns and shooting often like to talk about other topics with their friends. That's why it is necessary to moderate the forum and limit discussion to on topic subjects.

If you enjoyed reading about "A few off-topic posts do not make the whole thread off topic" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!