Site suggestion

PDA

Impureclient
January 20, 2009, 05:54 PM
I was thinking after reading replies in some posts about price gouging, profiteering and such that I began to get confused
about who is saying what. It seems a nice idea that under our screen names would be a quick reference to look too to
see who we are. As in whether we are a FFL dealer, rangemaster, collector or straight consumer as a quick reference as to
who is saying what. Maybe narrow it down to say 10 descriptions to describe ourself. Then have a small image/icon next to
our names. As some dealers may be collectors they can have the collector and dealer icons next to their names It's seems it
would be much easier to glance over and weed out some posts in a topic such as this one if you don't want to re-
read the same reply over and over.

In this posts case: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=420968it seems to go back and forth and get no where fast.

For that post :
I'd like to be able to quickly run down the list and scan what a few dealers there are saying as they all seem to have the same
argument. Then go over what the buyers are saying so I can pick up pointers on a next purchase.

For others posts:
I may want to run through and quickly find people who have several safes filled or are a dealer and are generally more
knowledgable on most guns and get a "veterans" advice on what shotgun I should purchase and skip over guys giving advice who
have only one gun such as myself. Not implying that a one gun owner doesn't know as much as the dealer but the dealer has
probably handled more shotguns and heard more feedback from his customers.

Am I being too picky or is this possibly something that can be done to help the site navigation out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Site suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
January 20, 2009, 10:39 PM
Well, you really have two different issues you're broaching here. On the one hand, dealer memberships are something that have been discussed and may happen one day here.

The other issue is a lot more nebulous. There is no easy way to judge someone's reliability, and attempts to find a foolproof way to do that are doomed to frustration and would consume bulk amounts of staff time. Won't happen.

John

Impureclient
January 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
So using a simple icon won't help?
Kind of like the one that indicates you're online here.
I didn't mean to make any more work for staff but, just creating the symbols for the icons and
implementing them under our names. Wouldn't that be a simple HTML thing? Then it would just
be up to the individual to select which category they fall under and select that icon. It may
not be 100% accurate if that individual doesn't accurately portray theirself with the right icon
but, then again they can just choose to not use an icon under their name. I don't know, I
thought it seemed like a simple enough idea.

hso
January 21, 2009, 11:10 AM
Since everything on an internet discussion board is suspect anyway how would anyone ever have any idea that a "title" selected by the individual was accurate.

Or, in the tradition of internet humor, how would you know I'm not a poodle in a cheerleader costume posing as a Spec Ops operator?;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f8/Internet_dog.jpg/180px-Internet_dog.jpg

taliv
January 21, 2009, 12:41 PM
how would you know I'm not a poodle in a cheerleader costume posing as a Spec Ops operator?

cause, like ur grammer n like speling n stuff wud give u like away u r not a p00dl i can like tell
i know right?
k, thx bye!

TimboKhan
January 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
The other issue is a lot more nebulous. There is no easy way to judge someone's reliability, and attempts to find a foolproof way to do that are doomed to frustration and would consume bulk amounts of staff time. Won't happen.

Well, let me help: I am awesome.

rbernie
January 24, 2009, 04:53 PM
I am Spartacus!

JShirley
January 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
But, Timbo, that's simply obvious.

I am Spartacus!

taliv
January 25, 2009, 01:36 AM
<--- not spartacus, but took 2 yrs latin in high school and looks good in a toga

bikerdoc
January 25, 2009, 07:58 AM
I was an extra in the movie sparticus

Impureclient
February 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
<----Too young to know what all this Spartacus talk is about.

JShirley
February 1, 2009, 10:49 PM
Me, too.

Fortunately, there's the errornet. You, too, can be wrong in seconds! ;)

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Site suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!