Does a new president have the power

PDA

nathan
January 20, 2009, 09:38 PM
to repel or revoke the Clinton Ban on Norinco firearms , or it is permanent for life?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does a new president have the power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WoofersInc
January 20, 2009, 09:40 PM
Wasn't that done as an executive order? If so a new executive order can render it void, but I doubt our new president will be inclined to do so.

GlenJ
January 20, 2009, 09:42 PM
Bush wasn't

moooose102
January 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
well, nothing is permanant in this country, if you can get enough votes. as for the power to revolk those kind of bans, i really dont know. but the thing to do is fight like mad to prevent them. IF we all fight very hard, we could make it so obama gets no weapons bans. but, we all have to work together, and we all have to work hard. if we sit on the side lines, before you know what happed, they will be telling you that you have to hand over your weapons, or face the consequenss.

Sam Boca
January 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
What on Earth would make you think that Obama would even consider un-banning a gun?

Duke of Doubt
January 20, 2009, 09:46 PM
As a consolation prize/compromise.

Repealing the screwy 1989 rules that prevent you from putting a bayonet on some Chinese SKS rifles, while banning all AK patterns, for example.

Sam Boca
January 20, 2009, 09:56 PM
We should consider ourselves very lucky if the new Congress/Administration does not attempt to reinstate the Clinton assault weapon ban in the next two years.

I would also not be suprised if Customs & the ATF make it very difficult for companies to import ammunition. That's the kind of executive orders we're likely to see from BHO.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about being able to continue to purchase ARs, AKs, hi caps and ammo than anything to do bayonets or Chinese made weapons.

ServiceSoon
January 20, 2009, 10:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NorincoIs this the company you want to purchase firearms from and thus support?

Titan6
January 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
Does a new president have the power
to repel or revoke the Clinton Ban on Norinco firearms , or it is permanent for life?

I am sure he will get right on that. I seem to recall it being mentioned in his inauguration speech a few times.

Kind of Blued
January 21, 2009, 03:36 PM
Absolutely. Keep in mind, the Second Amendment isn't even "permanent for life".

Guns and more
January 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
Right after he fixes the "imperfections" in the Constitution.

MAKster
January 22, 2009, 11:43 AM
Only Chinese semi-autos and ammo was banned. You can still buy Chinese pump action shotguns, double barrel shotguns, lever actions, etc. For example, the H&R Pardner pump is made by Norinco. Norinco also sells copies of the 1897 Winchester pump action. Interstate and Hawk are Norinco brands.

subknave
January 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
It is well within the power of the president to ban or allow this type of thing as it has to go through the state department and atf. Only if congress passed some legislation prohibiting it would he not be able to do so. As I recall it was mostly due to political reasons they were banned from import. Canada for one still imports them. In my opinion we should get rid of these stupid bans and concentrate on prosecuting the people who actually did something rather than on what people possess. If you rob a bank go to jail but if you drive through downtown DC with some shotgun shells in your car big deal. If you get high and crash your car into someone go to jail. If you have 3 pot plants in your house big deal. I hate all this Ban this or Ban that. It almost never works and usually just creates a hugely profitable black market. Even something as sensible as prohibiting a felon from buying guns does little to stop crime and created a black market for guns. One thing it does do is create a lot of business for lawyers.

expvideo
January 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
As a consolation prize/compromise.
Obama is not interested in compromising.

AllAmerican
January 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
My thought right now is that with the possiblility of an EO banning ammo importation, now would be a good time for a few new ammo companies to start up.

There is obviously a market now but when the SHTF by EO the market wil end up just like it is right now and stay that way.

Or I could just be dreaming and wishing.

Gunnerpalace
January 22, 2009, 08:00 PM
Right now I'm buying foreign parts as those could be banned first possibly by EO, while with a AWB, you can vaguely see it before it hits, with EO's well, it could be signed now and we would not find out for days.

Also

Is this the company you want to purchase firearms from and thus support?

I don't want to buy a World War 2 relic and take it to the range every month running ammo through it, And pay the premium of 1,800 to 3,000 the Winchesters go for Vs 399 for a Norinco.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does a new president have the power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!