AJC Poll: Do you favor stricter gun control laws?

PDA

Dan in GA
September 28, 2003, 03:37 PM
There's an online survey at the Atlanta Journal and Constitution website today asking whether one favors stricter gun control laws. The survey is at the bottom of the page, following a left vs. right opinion article/argument on the gun control subject. The link to the article and poll is:

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/woman/0903/26.html?27126

AJC Gun Control Survey (http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/woman/0903/26.html?27126)

Dan in GA

If you enjoyed reading about "AJC Poll: Do you favor stricter gun control laws?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyme
September 28, 2003, 05:54 PM
I suppose I'm becoming jaded, but comparisons between guns and drunk driving seem dumber every time I read them. Drinking and driving is vastly different from carrying or possessing guns. First, it requires two items/activities that, together, can result in terrible consequences. Second, neither drinking nor driving are passive acts, but owning and carrying firearms are.

But even these differences don't imply that prior restraint on drunk driving is ok when prior restraint on ownership or carrying of firearms is not.

Mark Tyson
September 28, 2003, 06:26 PM
Tyme, I think you're splitting hairs. No analogy is perfect. Drinking and driving represents an irresponsible, criminal use of alcohol. Some people behave in a criminal and irresponsible manner with guns, too. Handling a firearm while intoxicated is bad too, just as bad as operating a car.

10-Ring
September 28, 2003, 07:00 PM
:banghead: :rolleyes: :cuss: :scrutiny: :fire:

Standing Wolf
September 28, 2003, 10:41 PM
Second, neither drinking nor driving are passive acts, but owning and carrying firearms are.

I don't think so. I've made a choice or choices every time I've bought a firearm, and make a choice to carry one every time I leave the house.

Sleeping Dog
September 29, 2003, 07:37 AM
The analogy of cars & guns is ok... I have both, and I keep both clean. Big difference is the gun has no cup-holders.

I'd maybe agree with a rule against shooting while talking on a hand-held cell phone. With exceptions for law enforcement or anyone talking to a telemarketer.

Regards.

If you enjoyed reading about "AJC Poll: Do you favor stricter gun control laws?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!