Tips for accuracy

PDA

CARSON
September 28, 2003, 07:20 PM
Hello all. I bought a T\C Omega in .50 cal a few months back and I am trying to work on my accuracy. I owned a CVA Bobcat before just to see if I liked using a muzzleloader and realized I did. I bought the Omega to make it easier to clean, increase reliability, and to work on accuracy.

I have a T\C powder scale that levels off the powder charge when I am done, so I know the charges are the same. I have read the T\C manual, the CVA manual, and the Lyman manual. I am using 100 grains of Triple Seven with a 385 grain Hornady Great Plains Conical. I am wondeing if there are any tips you could give me that could help my accuracy: powder type or charge, projectile type or size, or charging methods I might use. Any help would be great.

Also, I tried to use the Power Belt Bullets But could only get them to go down the barrel 5". I was running a dry patvh down the barrel after each shot to clean it, so I do not think the barrel was too fouled. I had to actually pull the bullet and belt because I could not get it to go down. Is there any way to get these to seat that I do not know about?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tips for accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
old snow
September 29, 2003, 11:32 PM
Carson the load I shoot in my 50 cal Omega is two 50gr. Pyrodex pellets, Hornadt 45 cal. 240 XTP mag. in a Hornady black mag. sobot and a Remington 209-4 primer. With this load I get 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. I also clean after each shot with Isopropyl Alcohol one wet patch then one dry patch.

CARSON
October 6, 2003, 04:58 PM
Thank you for the advise Old Snow. I tried out the Sabots, and cleaned the barrel with alcohol between each shot, and got the groups down to 1 1/2" at 50 yards. That is not spectacular, but I am happy to know that if I work at the loads I can probably get a good group.

smokemaker
October 6, 2003, 05:20 PM
My .50 Omega prooved very picky about what it liked. My experience with powerbelt was about the same as yours, and a variety of different sabot/bullet combo's prooved to be frustrating at best. (5+ inch 50 yard groups are not acceptable in anything but a smoothbore) I read on a few pages on the net that said 1:28 twist barrels sometimes need long, heavy conicals to shoot good. So I ordered some Blackpowder sabots from a company in PA. 450 grains and 1 1/2 inches long. 1 inch groups at 100 yds. The only problem there is heavy bullets cause heavier fouling, but I run a patch downbore between shots anyway (TC #13). Anyway, the bullets that shot so good are available at the following link: http://www.blackpowdersabots.com/ (http://)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tips for accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!