.38 tuna can loads

PDA

jsalcedo
September 28, 2003, 08:20 PM
Years ago I purchased a couple boxes of multi projectile 38 special ammo

Each one was loaded with three 66 grain tuna can shaped bullets.

If I fired at the center of a man sized silhouette each projectile impacted about 2 inches apart at 15 yards.

It was strange to fire 6 shots and have 18 holes on the target.

I have long since used them all up and haven't found them again

Does anyone remember these and or know where to buy them?

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 tuna can loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LeonCarr
September 28, 2003, 09:24 PM
Mr. Salcedo,

I do not have a location for that ammunition, but I remember that a bullet mould for that type of bullet was available at one time from Hensley & Gibbs. The bullet is a 66 grain wadcutter about the same size as a Tylenol tablet. According to an article by Wiley Clapp in a Handgun Digest several years ago, you could load two of them in a .38 Special, three of them in a .357 Magnum, and four of them in a .357 Maximum. The article mentioned that he had a .357 Magnum revolver bored out to accept the .357 Maximum case loaded with four of the Tylenol tablet bullets, and he called the cartridge the .357 Quadramaximum. Maybe if you could find that mould, or have one custom made, you could make a bunch of "dem bullets" for personal use. I hope this helps your quest, or maybe will jar the memory of somebody who might know.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

4v50 Gary
September 28, 2003, 09:33 PM
I remember those too. Now I wish I had acted on it. :(

jsalcedo
September 28, 2003, 11:33 PM
LeonCarr

I don't have the equipment for casting my own yet.

But it is getting to the point where I should start.

Thanks for the reminder on that article. I read the same thing many moons ago and thats probably why I bought original ammo to start with.

Since my Taurus .357 is my backup home defense gun I was thinking
these mult projectile loads would be ideal to limit penetration and maximize firepower.

V-fib
September 29, 2003, 01:36 AM
There is an ammo called “Strike Three” home security pistol ammo. Each cartrage has 3 projectiles that are round. .38 has a velocity of 700 fps .357 is 850 fps. I’ve never used it but have seen it in the Sportsmans Guide catalog.

:cool:

jsalcedo
September 29, 2003, 01:44 AM
Thanks V-fib

I'll check it out and see if it's any good.

BluesBear
September 29, 2003, 04:19 AM
000Buck works real good for a multiple load in a .357 case. In fact Remington used to load them. I still see them at a Gun Show every so often.

This thread has me wondering how 3 or 4 of the new 00Buck HeaviShot would work in a Speer ShotCap?
:evil:

raz-0
September 29, 2003, 04:05 PM
dunno if it helps, but I recall reading an article on something similar a long time ago. Belive it was called a quadramaxim or something like that. Might have been the .357 maximum varient someone mentioned as I rember it having 4 little pill shaped wadcutters.

Sleuth
September 29, 2003, 05:32 PM
I wrote an article on this about 25 years ago. Load 3 #1 buck in a Speer shot cap - would still be a good load for those living in apartments. Limited penetration but a 90 caliber hit!

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 tuna can loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!