Funky pistol designs, part XIV: The Browning BDM

PDA

Marko Kloos
September 28, 2003, 09:24 PM
I've had a strange desire for a Browning BDM for a long time now, and finally got to add one to the stable on a trade yesterday.

The BDM was a late entry into the Wondernine race, and its release just months before the '94 mag cap restriction may have contributed greatly to its lack of commercial success. Browning never marketed this gun aggressively, and it failed to attract LEO contracts.

The BDM's lack of success is regrettable; the gun itself has a number of interesting and unusual features. The funkiest aspect of the BDM is its switchable trigger: a selector on the slide of the slide can switch the pistol from "P" (pistol) to "R" (revolver) mode. In P mode, the BDM works as a traditional "crunchenticker", with the first shot in DA and the subsequent ones in SA mode. The R mode has been called a DAO setting, but this is not entirely correct. The Revolver mode on the BDM makes the trigger and hammer work just like a double-action wheelgun, all shots double-action with optional cocking of the hammer.

The BDM is an all-steel design, and its strongest design point for CCW use is its incredible slimness. This gun is thin, easily the thinnest double-stack Wondernine ever made. The slide is as thin as a BHP slide, and the grip is no thicker than that on many single-stack pistols. Even the grip panels are artfully recessed into the steel frame to minimize bulk. And despite its all-steel construction, the gun is relatively light, weighing in at 28 ounces unloaded. That's the same weight as an unloaded SIG P226, which has an alloy frame. Yet despite its slim frame and light weight, it holds fifteen rounds when used with un-neutered pre-ban magazines.

The biggets user gripe about the BDM has been its unorthodox safety/decocker system. The safety goes up for fire, down for safe and decock, just like a beretta 92 or Walther PPK. It also acts as a secondary slide release lever. If you're used to the 1911 system, and the American preference of "down to fire, up to safe", the BDM will mess you up. I use the safety like the decocker on a SIG and think of it in the same fashion: leave it on "go" all the time, and only swipe it down-up for decocking the gun. Easy enough if you're used to shooting SIGs.

I've had a chance to shoot the gun before I got it, and function has been flawless so far. I can't comment on the accuracy yet, since I haven't had a chance to shoot for groups yet, but it does seem to put the bullets where you want them to go.

If you want to carry a Wondernine inside the waistband, this is hands-down the best one for the job. It is flat. It may not be the One True Sword, but it has some admirable qualities, and it's certainly Different (tm). I like Different (tm), and it's fun to add good examples of inventive gun design to the collection.

Here's a picture of the Browning BDM:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=511995

If you enjoyed reading about "Funky pistol designs, part XIV: The Browning BDM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
September 28, 2003, 09:25 PM
Did I mention that the BDM is flat?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=512003

BHPshooter
September 28, 2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks for that report, I have long been interested in the BDM. There is one in a two-tone finish at a pawnshop here in town. While I'm interested, it's a tad expensive... and my parent's have put a hiatus to my pistol buying until I'm 21. :cuss:

Was it worth what you paid for it?

Thanks again. ;)

Wes

Shake
September 29, 2003, 01:16 AM
These were selling at unbelieveable prices a few years back (under $300) in my locale. . .

Shake

Detritus
September 29, 2003, 01:32 AM
dern it now i gotta LOOK for one to examine!!! a curse upon you Marko!! :cuss: lol. aw heck another interesting one to nit pick :D

matthewdanger
September 29, 2003, 02:32 PM
Marko, that looks like a great find. I am really interested in finding one of these for myself. May I ask a few questions?

Is the holster in the first picture for the BDM?

If it is who makes it?

Do you know of any holster makers making holsters for the BDM?

About how wide is it at it's widest point? It looks like it would be about the width of a 1911, is this the case?

Please post about accuracy and reliability when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Matt

Pilot
September 29, 2003, 02:53 PM
I have a friend who bought the BDM when they first came out, so it has the hicap mags of which he bought several extra. Anyway, I have shot the pistol a good amount a like it a lot. However, the trigger is a bit different, even in single action, so it takes some getting used to. I prefer the Hi Power trigger and in general the feel of the Hi Power better than the BDM. That being said, I would not hesitate to buy a BDM if I found one at a decent price. I think it would make an excellent hicap 9MM for CCW. As others have stated it is very slim and carries well, plus its one heck of a nice looking pistol and its a Browning.

buzz_knox
September 29, 2003, 03:03 PM
I've got to agree that it's regrettable the BDM wasn't successful. It feels quite nice in the hand. If mags were more plentiful, I'd definitely have one in the safe.

Correia
September 29, 2003, 05:39 PM
I really like the BDM. I could never use one for serious use because I would get shot trying to move the safety in the wrong direction. :) But the gun itself is really slick. I was amazed the first time that I used one, especially since at the time my only real wunder-nine experience was with Rugers and Berettas, both of which are honking fat in comparison.

Nice gun Marko.

Marko Kloos
September 29, 2003, 06:54 PM
Is the holster in the first picture for the BDM?

Nope, it's a Galco Summer Special for a SIG P226. That particular holster has turned into my "universal rig", since the generous frame dimensions of the P226 make the holster a decent fit for most other autos of the same size class.

Do you know of any holster makers making holsters for the BDM?

Quite a few of them have the BDM included on their list of makes and models. Blade-Tech and F.I.S.T. come to mind right away.

About how wide is it at it's widest point? It looks like it would be about the width of a 1911, is this the case?

It's actually a little thinner than a 1911. The slide is 13/16ths of an inch across most of its length, and the grip is just a fraction under an inch wide across the front strap, and 1 1/4" across the little thumb rest swells of the grip. At its widest part, the slide is exactly an inch wide, but only in the section aft of the cocking serrations, i.e. the rearmost 1/4" of the slide.

keederdag
September 29, 2003, 07:27 PM
I actually talked my father in law into buying one when they first came out. His is two tone, the switch option is kinda neat, if pointless, and it is really quite accurate. Good sight's, very slim, well finished. Trigger pull is a little strange however. His did not come with Hi-cap's; he did'nt care, as he was used to a 5 shot S&W M-36. Accuracy wise, it's a bit better than my Portugese Assembled Hi-power.:)

hksw
September 29, 2003, 07:41 PM
If the safety wasn't upsidedown, I would have got at least one when they first came out.

George Hill
September 30, 2003, 01:18 AM
I love the BDM. I still want one but have not had the opportunity to make the purchase.
Its timing.
When I have money, there is not a BDM available. When I don't have money, there is a BDM available.
It's teasing me.

WonderNine
September 30, 2003, 03:44 AM
I bought a NIB blued BDM awhile back and was not overly impressed with it after shooting it a few times. It came with 6 ten rounders and 6 fifteen rounders. If I recall correctly, the two new fifteen rounders that I actually used rattled alot when loaded. I don't remember about the ten rounders. This was a big turnoff to me for using it as a CCW gun as there are no other mag options. The baseplate of the standard capacity and neutered ten rounders were both made of plastic. This was also a turnoff, sure wouldn't want to accidently drop one of those on concrete during a reload. The follower was like a big plastic hill. The foot of the baseplate on the magazines can be used like a screwdriver to switch the pistol between "pistol" and "revolver" modes. The accuracy was pretty decent, but nothing to rave about. The trigger had alot of takeup in single action mode, but was not creepy. I found the revolver mode pointless. I fired about 500 rounds through the gun during the short time I had it and had zero malfunctions.

The safety felt clumsy and seemed to get in the way. Not to mention it operated in the wrong direction for a frame mounted safety. To me frame mounted safeties should all be down to fire and up for safe while slide mounted safeties should be up to fire and down to safe. (honestly though if the BDM's safety was down to fire and up for safe it would be in the way even more of the time) The safety seemed strangely delicate compared to the rest of the gun almost to the point that I would worry in the back of my mind about pushing it too hard under stress and/or accidently dropping the gun and breaking it. I don't recommend using the safety to disengage the slide, mine broke internally after using it to disengage the slide only about a dozen times. Funny thing is, I read how this exact same thing happened to someone back on The Firing Line Forum. If I recall they sent it back to Browning, got the gun back and it broke again shortly thereafter.

The safety on mine still worked, but it would move up and down freely without a click and wouldn't release the slide anymore. The safety is made of plastic and not very confidence inspiring. The gun as a whole was not confidence inspiring and so I ended up only carrying it once or twice before selling it at a decent profit.

The finish rubbed off VERY easily and was not durable at all. It was a matte black type of finish, not a blueing. I liked the slimness of the frame but the grip was also very blocky feeling. Oh well, can't have it all I guess. After owning one I understand perfectly why these guns sell for $300 NIB or like NIB. The two tone model is not very common and they tend to command a small premium even though I've heard the two toned finish flakes off fairly easily as well.

Make mine a Hi-Power.

On a side note, I've heard that Browning didn't actually manufacter the BDM, someone else did and they just put their name on it. Anybody else heard this rumor?

Tamara
September 30, 2003, 07:01 AM
On a side note, I've heard that Browning didn't actually manufacter the BDM, someone else did and they just put their name on it. Anybody else heard this rumor?

That's right; it was made by that little no-name gun company, Fabrique Nationale. ;)

Richard
September 30, 2003, 02:15 PM
Marko, this is what I wrote on another board:

matthewdanger, I just happen to have a BDM. Its accuracy is second only to my Walther P88 and that is saying a lot for a 9mm. The high capacity (HC) magazines
are trendy to say the least, the HC magazines run about $100. If you buy the BDM get a bunch of 10 rounders and wait to find a HC at a yard sale. My opinion is the BDM is one fine handgun. Why did it fail to sell? It was a 9mm, designed for the police, in a 40 S&W market. If the price is right buy it. Regards, Richard:D

WonderNine
September 30, 2003, 05:52 PM
That's right; it was made by that little no-name gun company, Fabrique Nationale.

With the failure of the BDM, do you think they'll start brewing beer, or concentrate on the rest of their line-up instead? ;)

matthewdanger
September 30, 2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info Marko.

Do you know of any source of aftermarket grips?

Daniel Watters
October 1, 2003, 04:05 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note, I've heard that Browning didn't actually manufacture the BDM, someone else did and they just put their name on it. Anybody else heard this rumor?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right; it was made by that little no-name gun company, Fabrique Nationale.

The Browning BDM was originally manufactured for Browning by Arms Technology Inc. of Utah. This is the same outfit that produces the Browning Buckmark. I understand that late in the production run, manufacture of the BDM was transferred to FNMI in Columbia, SC.

This said, FN and Browning have never been above sticking their name on other peoples' products, prime examples include the BDA-series (which were relabeled SIG-Sauer P220 and Beretta Model 84) and the Baracuda revolver (Astra Police).

Tamara
October 1, 2003, 10:14 AM
I understand that late in the production run, manufacture of the BDM was transferred to FNMI in Columbia, SC.

Really? Maybe that's why later ones have triggers that aren't completely wretched, like the first ones. Hopefully, the frame-cracking problem is confined to early ones, too. :uhoh: (The frame is unbelievably svelte and light for a double-stack steel-frame pistol. Maybe a little too svelte and light, if persistent rumors of frame cracks are to be believed.) Still and all, a really fascinating pistol...

Mike Irwin
October 1, 2003, 01:24 PM
I was with American Rifleman when the BDM came out. I, and several other staff members, absolutely fell in love with it.

Why it wasn't more popular I don't know, but it should have been.

I, too, want one, and figure I'll get one some day.

Bladeandbarrel
October 1, 2003, 11:12 PM
Classic example of Euro-inspired over-engineering.

This could have been THE 9mm crunchenticker to have.
IF

The safety moved down to fire
The parts fit was more precise
The trigger wasn't so dreadful
It dropped the dubious "Double Mode" feature

I had the distinct displeasure to fire a DA Only (rare variant) of the BDM last year. It was without a doubt one of the top 3 most difficult handguns to shoot accurately I have ever fired. The sights were poorly regulated and the trigger was WHOA bad.

HadEmAll
October 2, 2003, 12:55 AM
I like all things Browning, having had or still possess an:

A-Bolt
HP in 9mm
HP in .40 - still got
Challenger II
Buckmark - still got
and that beautiful little .22 auto rifle - still got.

Not one has been perfect, they've all got some little flaw or other, but I hang onto them because they're BROWNINGS. But.....

I didn't have any emotional problem at all about getting rid of the BDM. Mine just wasn't as good as the three gun magazines said theirs were.
If I remember correctly, the ejector was part of the slide lock lever, and when it rode up to lock the slide back, it assumed a different profile that put the last casing either in my face, or left it in the ejection port. Also broke a cheap roll pin early on. Sure did feel fine in the hand, but too big for a 10 round 9mm. Just not a well-engineered pistol, except for the dual-mode trigger action thingy. That was kinda neat. I'd like to have one again, if somebody gave it to me.

Al Thompson
October 13, 2003, 07:05 PM
Wasn't this the 9mm that the Secret Service rejected? Whichever one it was, FN's Columbia plant got all of them in and had to do a bunch of work to get them right. Biggest complaint was POI/POA differences. Good friend of mine got to shoot all of them. Hope he'll chiime in here...

MaterDei
October 13, 2003, 07:11 PM
Nice write up, Marko.

Thanks.

Marko Kloos
October 13, 2003, 07:23 PM
Well, I've had a chance to shoot and carry the BDM some more, and I still like it a bunch. It makes an exceptionally good IWB carry pistol, and you do get spoiled with the slimness of the BDM...it makes a double-stack SIG look and feel like a two-by-four in comparison.

Reliability has been 100% with my chosen carry load, the Federal +P+ 9BPLE. I have had exactly one malfunction with ball, one FTE out of 200 rounds of Winchester "Value Pack" White Box ammo. (I've had the same kind of malfuction with the same ammo in a HK USPc before, so I am starting to suspect that the Winchester stuff is a little wonky.) The pistol is comfortable and accurate, although the DA trigger is just heavy enough to make the DAO mode an unattractive proposition to me.

I've carried worse. All in all, it's a capable and comfortable carry piece, offering 15+1 rounds in a package that's thinner in the grip than my P7M8.

jar
October 13, 2003, 09:09 PM
BDM next to BHP
http://www.fototime.com/9927EF40C2BCFF9/standard.jpg

BDM next to SiG 225
http://www.fototime.com/E4345540A921D99/standard.jpg

Grey54956
October 14, 2003, 06:39 PM
Yeah, the BDM is incredibly slim, and I do worry about the frame cracking, as I have read that it can be a problem.

I love the BDM. However, in light of the possibilty of frame cracking, etc. I think I will keep it around, but go easy on it. Or, perhaps I will get a second one for the range, and keep mine for carry (please, please let WI see the light!!! - not that it matters much, moving to IN). My gun has seen fairly light usage totalling maybe 750 rounds. Hopefully, it has plenty more to go before problems...

kdog
February 19, 2005, 07:11 PM
I am thinking of geting one of these browning bdms so I have alot of questions. If i can find one, how commen are they. about what price do they run. also in the revolver mode I assume the hammer is always decocked automaticaly after each shot. i like this for safety. Can you cock the hammer by thumb first then fire like a actual revolver in single action mode or will the gun not work in this manner. any thing is helpful thanks.

SouthpawShootr
February 19, 2005, 08:19 PM
They're not terribly common, but they're still fairly easy to find. In fact, www.cdnninvestments.com lists them in their newest catalog on their website. They also have full-cap mags, if your state is so inclined. You can also check out www.gunbroker.com and see what kind of deals are around. I don't remember the price at CDNN, but they usually have very good prices. They will only talk firearms over the phone, so, if you're interested, you'll have to call. The most desirable BDMs are the so-called Practical models (black finished slide and hard chromed receiver). I have one of these, but have never shot it (played with it plenty). Paid $300 for it new from a dealer who had it for over 2 years and couldn't move it. In Revolver mode, the hammer will always follow the slide and each shot will be DA. Added bonus is that you can cock the hammer in DA mode (something you can't to with any other DAO auto). The other mode (I don't know what it's called) will give you traditional DA/SA pistol function. Couple of things I don't like. The slide release is also the safety. Drop the slide and the gun is on safe. Not too bad of a manual of arms, but you have to train with it.

I'll add that I think there's lots of potential in this design. I wish they'd revive it.

DMF
February 19, 2005, 08:27 PM
Nice report, I too have always had an interest in the BDM. Although I'm more likely to get a FN-HP/DA compact, which is similar to the BDM, but without the "funky" pistol/revolver option, and rather than a safety it just has a decocker. The full size version will take the regular BDM mags.

CDNN is currently selling the DA/SA version for $300 and the DAO version for $280.

SouthpawShootr
February 19, 2005, 08:40 PM
I thought about those. Even looked at a couple or three at local gunshows. Seems like a nice, well thought out design. I probably would have picked one up, but it just doesn't offer anything "unique" for my collection (fancy way of saying the gun just didn't grab me). Unfortunately, these are out of production also. I worry about parts and service for out of production guns, especially if I was looking for a CCW piece.

BlkHawk73
February 19, 2005, 09:18 PM
That was a pistol I always kinda admired but had forgoten about until just recently. It is too bad it never took off. Maybe someday...

Mordoc
February 19, 2005, 10:53 PM
I had a late production BPM-D which was without the DA only mode and with a decocker instead of a safety. I wish I hadn't traded it. It is a neat design.

td123@comcast.net
February 1, 2006, 08:51 AM
I have had a BDM since the first came out. I like being able to see a round in the chamber with the slide closed. I think every gun should have this feature. I have been considering buying a HK P2000SK but I have a small hand and even though it is designed for different size hands, it is still wider than the BDM.

McCall911
February 1, 2006, 09:29 AM
The Browning BDM

Doggone it, I'll soon be in the market for a good 9mm and had already had my mind made up on a S&W 5903 until I was reminded of the Browning BDM!!

I'd looked at one some years ago and was intrigued and could have easily been nudged into buying. But I didn't think I liked DA autoloaders at the time, so I passed.

Also. there is this slide-bite problem that I have when shooting Browning Hi-Powers, and I thought this issue might extend to the BDM.

Anway, more food for thought I suppose!

Texfire
February 1, 2006, 03:51 PM
Although I'm more likely to get a FN-HP/DA compact, which is similar to the BDM, but without the "funky" pistol/revolver option, and rather than a safety it just has a decocker. The full size version will take the regular BDM mags.

I'd heard that the DA FN High Power takes BDM mags, but I've never had a chance to test it. Has anyone actually confirmed this? I'd love to buy some more standard cap mags, I've only found two so far that were under $60, and I wonder if I could get some of the FH-HP/DA mags for my BDM.

Tex

Texfire
February 1, 2006, 03:58 PM
Also. there is this slide-bite problem that I have when shooting Browning Hi-Powers, and I thought this issue might extend to the BDM.

Negative. I have both a FN-HP Mk3 and a BDM. Shooting the High Power leaves me with a red spot on the web of my hand, but the BDM does not.

I'm happy with my BDM, it's the first centerfire handgun I ever purchased, and I don't think I'll ever sell it, even though I don't shoot it that much anymore having discovered the love of a variety of handguns. Mine came with two 10-round magazines, and I managed to pick up two standard cap ones over the years without paying more than $60 each. It fits just fine in a Don Hume JIT slide #10, though I haven't tried to find an IWB holster for it yet.

SouthpawShootr
February 1, 2006, 03:59 PM
I'd heard that the DA FN High Power takes BDM mags, but I've never had a chance to test it. Has anyone actually confirmed this?

Don't know. But you can find so-so prices (not downright cheap, but pretty decent) here:

www.cdnninvestments.com/brbdm9mm15ma.html

$10 cheaper if you don't mind the LE marking:

www.cdnninvestments.com/brbdm9mm15le.html

I have some new BDM mags at home. I check and see what's on the box. They're new manufacture.

Caseless
February 1, 2006, 06:56 PM
Mine was made in Utah, bought it NIB a few years ago for the princely sum of $500 + $100 dealer transfer fees(since it wasn't on the CA DOJ handgun list).
On paper, this is almost a semi-customized gun with many good design features.

-Bobbed hammer
-protruded finger grips on back of slide
-flared magazine well
-ambidextrous European-style safety/decocker
-screw-adjustable rear sight
-Well-placed magazine release button
-The thinnest grip for a double stack mag pistol, period
-Checkered front grip area
-Full length recoil guide-rod

During numerous trips to the range, I used the DAO mode twice, then left it in the DA/SA mode for good. I've only found two issues with my BDM. First it will eject the last round straight into my face most of the time with all five factory 10 round magazines. Then there's the inconsistency in the accuracy department. It is a tad less accurate than my CZ-75B at 12 yards, but beyond 15 yards the groups become shotgun patterns. The slide to frame fit is a bit loose, or perhaps a Bar-Sto barrel will improve the accuracy.

Personally I think the BDM is still a work-in-process. It does come in handy if I want to practice DA only shots though.:)

f4t9r
February 1, 2006, 07:04 PM
I need one of these guns , so the search begins !!!

Steveshooter
May 21, 2006, 04:16 PM
I absolutely love my BDM...it's thin, accurate and totally reliable....an excellent shooters gun, great for CC

10-Ring
May 21, 2006, 07:57 PM
Nice piece, nice report!

Texfire
May 22, 2006, 01:47 AM
I need to dig mine out of the safe. I've been playing with a FM Detective and Kahr K9 for carry guns lately and completely forget about my BDM. Silly me.

Tex

Hawkwolf
August 28, 2006, 06:02 PM
Just found this thread and I think I may be able to clear up some mis-comceptions. I was a LEO and carried first a BDM, then BPM-D on patrol. Hundreds of rounds, +P+, and didn't have any issues. I have outshot every other deputy in qualifications, and generally had zero complaints. With one exception: I was raised on the 1911, and went to the BPM-D for the safety factor. The decocker returns on it's own, unlike the safety. If there had been a way to add a return spring to the safety on the BDM, I would have stayed with it. One session on the range I "forgot" to return the safety. Went down the next Monday and bought the "D". I still have both, and will not sell either of them.

This thread hasn't had a post in a while, but I thought I would toss in my .02 American.

Burt

leolarry
January 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
I purchased my BDM several years ago you are right it is not an very popular gun. Mine is the two tone version and came with 3 clips , I noticed in some of the post that some of u say it hold 15 rounds mine only holds 8 so not sure if i can get a double stack mag for it . any way it is a very slim gun and I do like it . I just stumbeled on to this forum while searching out info on the BDM larry

10-Ring
January 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
Congrats on the new addition! :D
I saw one years & years ago and really liked its profile, ergos & capacity. But as the youth that I was, my taste leaned more towards Berettas and I didn't have the $$ to have both. Look forward to reading a report on how well she shoots

Caseless
January 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
I noticed in some of the post that some of u say it hold 15 rounds mine only holds 8 so not sure if i can get a double stack mag for it .

Factory 15 rd standard capacity magazine has been out of production for a while. Check CDNN Investment. They have some in stock from the last catalog I received.

dourdave
October 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yesterday I wandered into my favorite gun shop. It deals only in used arms, but has a very good selection to lust over. A few weeks ago I found a BHP MKIII and it went home with me. Nice----I am happy.

Yesterday I stumbled upon a Browning BPM-D and fondled it a bit. Nice, but I knew nothing about it. The shop owner didn't know much, so I walked away.

At Home I used "GOOGLE" to see what I could learn. This site was the only source of subjective information (mostly good) and I became convinced that the gun was one to have.

Today I went back and It went home with me. It feels good---it looks good---it has a good home. I will clean and inspect it and then plan for a Saturday at the range.

Thanks for the discussion and the information you provided.

Dave:D

Hoppy590
October 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
Dourdave

if your able to buy mags off the internet

CDNN has hicap, 40$
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/brbdm9mm15le.html

and 10 round, 10 $
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/bdm9mm10blun.html

MustangHowie
October 31, 2007, 08:49 AM
I have the BDM for my 9mm collection. I don't shoot it much. It is not the best for accuracy, but it is not the worst. I do like it because it is unique.

dourdave
October 31, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hoppy

Thanks for the tip. Ordered some today.:D

Planning for a range day Saturday. The BPM-D, PPK/S-1 and maybe the BHP MKIII.

Damn---I like this.

nwilliams
October 31, 2007, 08:58 PM
I had a BDM for a short time but I didn't like it so I sold it.

I couldn't get used to the ergonomics and the trigger was never to my liking. The gun didn't fit my hand well, I like grips that are a little beefier not so flat on each side.

Neat gun though, I did like how thin the frame was.

BTW if anyone is looking for one and wants to drive to Prescott I can tell you where to find one, its been sitting on the store shelf for months now, I think the price they are asking is under $400 but I can't remember exactly. I'll pass, been there done that don't want another, I'll stick with my Browning Hi-Powers thanks.

RichSenecal
April 14, 2008, 06:45 PM
I have had my BDM for a number of years. I bought the gun used from a friend for less than $100. It had a couple of broken parts and would not shoot, but the finish was in good shape so I took a chance.

I let a local gunsmith play with it for a couple of months, but he was unable to fix it so I took a chance and shipped it off to Browning for repair. When I sent the gun in I explained that I was not the original owner and requested an estimate for the repair work. About 2 weeks later the gun arrived back at my front door all fixed up and with letter from Browning apologizing for the failure of the parts. Repair cost: $0.0. Now that's service!

Since then the BDM has become my favorite 9mm. It fits my hand perfectly, I love the trigger and the unique "Modes" you can put the gun in and it does a decent job putting the bullets where I want them to go.

My particular gun shows a distinct preference for 115 gr FMJ which I load myself although it does fairly well with 123 gr LRN as well.

I am glad that I took a chance on the BDM and if I ever get another opportunity like that again I may get a second one.

Snake Eyes
April 14, 2008, 06:57 PM
If I count correctly, this is the FOURTH time this thread has been resurected from the dead by a new member.

I guess the question now is: Could a BDM kill this zombie thread??

(BTW, Rich, Welcome to The High Road and remember: Thou shalt not commit thread necromancy!)

RichSenecal
April 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome Snake Eyes. I'll try to remember not to resurrect an old thread. Next time I'll start a new one.

neviander
April 27, 2008, 04:45 AM
I was about to start my own thread on the BDM, looks like it's a solid pistol. John Browning prevails again :D

Moonclip
April 27, 2008, 04:53 AM
I almost got one at $150 in 2001! I find the revolver mode real neat and I like it has a steel frame.

SouthpawShootr
April 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
I almost got one at $150 in 2001! I find the revolver mode real neat and I like it has a steel frame.

For that price, it was decidedly a mistake to let it pass.:what:

I have a 2 tone (think Browning Hi-Power Practical) that I bought NIB shortly after they were discontinued. Had to wait a while before I could get full cap magazines. I really think Browning didn't - and this is an old story - try hard enough with this gun. It's slim, accurate, and has alot of neat features. The ability to quickly switch modes of fire is a nice little addition for the general public but I imagine it would scare of PDs. Maybe they should have offered a PD version where the mode of fire could be set by an armorer in a process that's not too easily done by line officers.

Moonclip
April 28, 2008, 01:47 AM
It was going to be a private sale and seller was wishy washy and I think it lackedb a mag.

PointShot
July 30, 2008, 01:24 AM
95%
Shoots great.
Will add pics soon.
Taking offers.

SOLD :D

JohnKSa
July 30, 2008, 01:48 AM
If I count correctly, this is the FOURTH time this thread has been resurected from the dead by a new member.

I guess the question now is: Could a BDM kill this zombie thread??Now it's the fifth time.

And the answer to your question is: "Apparently not..."

cqr80
August 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
Had a matte finish BDM until recently. It developed an extraction problem; replaced the extractor but it still failed to extract. Anyone have the same issue or maybe know the cause of the problem?

XJScott
November 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
Sorry All... Newbie Here...
Did a google search and brought me here...

My Input on The Browning BDM 9mm...

I had a chance to shoot it before it was on the market in the Browning tunnels up in Mt. Green, Utah. Fell in love!

I asked when it was going to be in shops and the guy I knew marked the box and told me where this very gun was going to be shipped and when it was available...
I still have the box with the "X" on it!!!

It's perfect for CCW and if you do bailbonds. Fits sweet in the waist.

I got mine pre-hicap so I got a 15 round mag with mine plus my friend hooked me up with another 15 round and a Browning holster made just for the BDM.

My brother has a Ruger P-95 Stainless and I would much rather shoot my BDM!!!

God Bless John M. Browning! He is my hero!!!

XJScott
November 13, 2008, 02:29 PM
CQR80...
The only time mine has extraction problems is when my wife shoots it. She has a bad case of limpwrist and doesn't hold the gun firm enough for the action to slide all the way back jamming a casing in the slide.

dogspit
November 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
Just came in possession of a Browning BDM
Thought I'd try to revamp this thread.
Need all the info and pics I can get. Thanks
fred_armand_51@hotmail.com

neviander
January 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
Seraph, double press checking BDMs :D
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll158/neviander/Matrixseraphofzo.jpg

conhntr
January 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
Awesome post nevilander. Lmao

dondavis3
April 4, 2011, 05:14 PM
I just bought my 1st Browning BDM, literally 2 hours ago.

Mine is a N.T. serial # and was made in Morgan Utah.

Thought I'd try to revamp this old thread, but it looks like someone else just beat me to it.

I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and will post some pictures later.

I'd like any information that you Browning "experts care to share with me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

:cool:

RichSenecal
May 25, 2011, 10:03 PM
Congrats on your new BDM dondavis3. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

kozak6
May 25, 2011, 11:57 PM
Is my count correct, or has this thread been zombied maybe 9 times?

Impressive.

jonnyc
May 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
OK, it's alive, so I may as well take advantage.
I have a very Hi-Power-looking 14 round mag that is not for a BHP. Can someone post a sidexside pic of BHP and BDM mags together?
Thanks.

dondavis3
May 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
@ RichSenecal

Thanks, I really do like it.

It is a great shooter and is very thin to carry if I should decide to do so.

Nice gun - I'm glad I got it.

DAdams
May 26, 2011, 10:26 PM
Holy Post Time Machine.

This post needs many photos for those us who don't know squat about the wonderment Browning BDM you refer to.

browneu
May 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
This post needs many photos for those us who don't know squat about the wonderment Browning BDM you refer to

Here you go.

Sam Cade
May 31, 2011, 09:34 PM
Hah... I remember Marko from the TFL days, I read his blog regularly.

dondavis3
May 31, 2011, 10:12 PM
I finally took a picture of my Browning BDM

Left Side:

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/BrowningBDM9mm2-1.jpg

Right side:

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/BrowningBDM9mm3-1.jpg

Interesting to me is the following:

BDM is very thin - as thin as a 1911.

The slot on the left side of the slide - when you turn it - changes the gun from DA/SA to SAO & back again.

The safety is ambidextrous & also is a decocker.

Very small sights - 3 dot white - hard to see. (anyone know of any sights to change to?)

Very accurate.

Very soft shooting gun.

I'm keeping this gun .. it's very different in the good kinda way.

RichSenecal
August 15, 2011, 01:33 PM
I am keeping mine as well. I love the look, feel and action of the BDM. It is also the best shooting 9mm I own.

In fact, if I can find another one at the right price I am going to own two of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Funky pistol designs, part XIV: The Browning BDM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!