A fantastic "bad" hunting trip.

PDA

H&Hhunter
January 22, 2009, 09:39 PM
I drew a late season 3-301 tag in North western Co. This unit is totally weather dependent and the snows hadn't hit the black mountains with enough depth to push the elk down when we hunted the unit just before Christmas. We saw lots of bald eagles, golden eagles, hawks, coyotes, deer, and antelope but not one elk.

But we made the best of it and had a great time. My hunting guide was my 9 year old daughter Bailee. Bailee has the most awesome set of game eyes of anyone in our family. This kid spots game that takes me several retakes to see. She is also a good hiker and is a blast to hang out with. Her imagination is out of this world and her curiosity makes her one of my favorite people to hang out with.

Here are some questions she asked me on the hunt.

Why do bald eagles have white heads?

That was after we saw a pair of them on the opening morning of the hunt soaring by as the sun rose over Godiva ridge.

Why does gas cost more here than at home?

If a coyote bit an elk on the neck would the elk die?

How come we haven't seen any elk?

If we see one are we going to shoot it?

When it is cloudy does the sun shine above the clouds or is the whole world cloudy?

How come you can chew tobacco when we are hunting but not at home?

If you let me have some more candy do you think that maybe I won't tell mom that you chewed tobacco?

How much candy can one person eat in a day?

Why do the elk wake up so early?

In any case here is the first morning picture of my very fashionable hunting guide. Check those game spotting shades the purple makes the game stand out I hear!!:D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/Baileeselkhunt09truck.jpg

We hunted for one day and the obvious truth was upon us. There were no elk in the unit yet. Not to mention that we were paying $55.00 a day to stay in the worst hotel in the world in Maybell Colorado. So we decided to bag it and head home.

But having several days to kill we spent the first night in Steamboat and treated ourselves to a great steak and macaroni and cheese dinner.

The next day we slowly made our way home with stops in Craig for a nice lunch. Silverthorne to the Target to replace a really cool world globe pencil sharpener that was lost during the hunt. A 9 year old needs a cool pencil sharpener you know.

Then we stopped at the world famous Buffalo Bill Cody grave site, museum and most of all gift shop/tourist trap.

Here is Bailee trying out the little buckaroo roping horse which comes complete with authentic western costume, rope, fiberglass horse and calf. What a photo op. Hey I had to take at least a few pictures considering that I had to pay 8 bucks to get in.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/Baileeselkhunt09.jpg

With all of the history surrounding this man. They did a really poor job of recounting Cody's life at the museum. But it was interesting to see his choice of a grave site which overlooks Denver and the plains. It is quite the view!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/Baileeselkhunt09codygrave.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/Baileeselkhuntcodygrave2.jpg

We didn't see any elk but we sure had some good father daughter time. And that is what it is all about having a good time!

If you enjoyed reading about "A fantastic "bad" hunting trip." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CSA 357
January 22, 2009, 10:19 PM
Dont sound like a bad hunt to me, so what you didnt see a elk? Then the fun would have been over! Then alot of hard work, by the way how much candy did it take to get her not to tell about your tobacco?:d

H&Hhunter
January 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
by the way how much candy did it take to get her not to tell about your tobacco?

Apparently we didn't come to an understanding on that one. :D

~z
January 23, 2009, 10:24 AM
Good times! Sounds like a heck of a kid you got there H
~z

~z
January 23, 2009, 10:26 AM
Good times! Sounds like a heck of a kid you got there H

I was gonna delete this as it was a 2x post, but it seems worth saying again so I'll let it ride.
~z

H&Hhunter
January 23, 2009, 11:22 AM
z,

Thanks I am sure enough proud of her!:)

MCgunner
January 23, 2009, 11:45 AM
The worst of times are the best of times. :D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
Smart/cute kid - big thumbs up! :) I'd be taking her along on every hunt if she can spot game like that!

If you enjoyed reading about "A fantastic "bad" hunting trip." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!