Laserlyte bore sight -- any experience?

PDA

pmeisel
January 22, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thinking of picking one up on sale from Midway, range time is precious to me and I would like to get close before going. Just curious how well they have worked for others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Laserlyte bore sight -- any experience?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
testosterone
January 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
great for getting you on paper and usually reasonably close to center.

BFE
January 23, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well said, I agree.

rcmodel
January 23, 2009, 06:43 PM
I can't imagine spending good money on a gadget to do the same job I can do with a free V-notched cardboard box to rest the rifle in, and bore-sighting.

I generally bore-sight a new scope at home, and can finish zeroing it at the range with 5-10 shots at most.

rc

WNTFW
January 23, 2009, 07:01 PM
A laser bore sighter is good on a rifle you can't see down the bore.
also good at night but so is lighting the target.
If you can see down the bore I'd do that. Cheap. I have borrowed some I had good results with. Don't own one.

I have a friend that bore sighted a rifle 4" to the right @ 200yds using only his eyes. I was there to see it. So it does work.

Cocked & Locked
January 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
I can't imagine spending good money on a gadget to do the same job I can do with a free V-notched cardboard box to rest the rifle in, and bore-sighting.

I generally bore-sight a new scope at home, and can finish zeroing it at the range with 5-10 shots at most.

Sounds good and bore sighting does work well on a bolt action rifle.

I've not yet figured out how to bore sight a lever gun, semi-auto, or muzzleloader yet though. Until I do, I'll continue using the laser doo-dad and sandbags for the rifle rest.

The scope crosshairs adjusted to the laser dot (on my laser doo-dad) places the point of bullet impact about 5" low and horizontally on the money at 50 yards. From that point, its easy going to set it the way I want. For me, that would be 1" above point of aim at 100 yards for center fire rifles.

WNTFW
January 23, 2009, 07:30 PM
On the non bolt guns there is a mirror to look down the bore.
I don't know if they are still available but a laser bore sighter is probably cheaper & easier to get & use.

One thing the previous poster made me realize is the laser bore sighter stays with the rifle. If the rifle moves the dot moves, a little less back & forth. An advantage when lining up some things.

ambidextrous1
January 23, 2009, 07:38 PM
Does this gadget work in bright sunlight?

I use a two-person team for sighting-in a rifle: The spotter watches for POI and coaches the shooter on sight adjustments. The procedure takes four to six shots ofr "minute of squirrel" accuracy.

Cocked & Locked
January 23, 2009, 08:19 PM
Does this gadget work in bright sunlight?

Yes, it works fine in the bright sun. At 50-100 yards in the sun, you should use the reflective background piece (comes with the laser) to VISUALLY sight the scope in with the laser. Don't shoot it! :uhoh:

Just adjust the scope crosshairs to the laser dot as it is projected against the reflective piece. Then, remove the reflective piece from the target stand and replace it with a target.

If you enjoyed reading about "Laserlyte bore sight -- any experience?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!