Silly question

PDA

havoc7usmc
January 22, 2009, 11:54 PM
I'm a little bit challenged when it comes to lingo and not even close to being Internet savy. What does it mean when some responded with "BUMP".

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silly question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
January 22, 2009, 11:57 PM
The default behavior of most forums is to place the most recently replied to threads to the top of the list of threads. The idea of posting "bump" is to indicate that you think more people should see a thread that hasn't generated enough replies to stay at the top of the list and by doing so, you push it to the top where it is more likely to be seen. I'm not a fan of the practice myself.

Ohio Gun Guy
January 23, 2009, 12:46 AM
Bump...

Had to :D

I wondered the same thing for a while......

Beren
January 23, 2009, 08:51 AM
It basically translates into "I have nothing useful to contribute to the conversation, but I am lonely and wish to participate in some way....bump!"

bikerdoc
January 23, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have a different take on the matter, I have only bumped once, and with that bump I stated, I cant believe 318 people vieved this topic and only 12 replied. Well it went on to be a pretty good post. Timeing maybe ?

Mal H
January 23, 2009, 11:43 AM
Agreed, Beren.

About the only forums on here where it makes any sense at all is in the Trading Post forums so you can keep your item for sale on the first page. But we frown on any excessive use of Bump (or "BTT" - bump/back to top). More than once every other day or so is excessive.

As always, there will be exceptions, and bikerdoc brought up a good one. As he said though, he only had to bump once to get the conversation going - that's fine. If you have to do it twice or more, is the topic worth pursuing? Probably not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silly question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!