what round

PDA

yotesmoker
January 23, 2009, 08:00 AM
Have two cz 527 carbines,223 and 7.62.Which would be better for coyotes at under 100 yards.Useing only factory ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "what round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bpl
January 23, 2009, 08:52 AM
Well the .223 would be more "appropriate" and will have by far the wider selection of varmint-type ammo to choose from. Both will kill a coyote no problemo.

indoorsoccerfrea
January 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
are you looking to save the fur? or just blasting coyotes...
.223 would be a better fursaver with the right bullet

Nautilus
January 23, 2009, 09:11 AM
I have found 7.62x39 using basic winchester super x soft points to be very effective at killing coyotes under 100 yards. I got three of them last summer with my SKS. So if your just looking to kill them, I'd go with the 7.62 using quality ammo.

indoorsoccerfrea
January 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
doesnt take quality ammo to hit a coyote's sweet spot under 100 yards...if that's your plan than by all means, but if you can do just as well with surplus or other cheaper rounds than why not?

MCgunner
January 23, 2009, 09:38 AM
I've never had problems killing coyotes with a .308. Just because the .223 is a "proper vermint caliber" doesn't mean a .338 Win Mag can't do the job. But, if you want the pelt, try a .22 hornet or .22 WMR.

yotesmoker
January 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
mcgunner.....a lot and I mean A LOT of people tell me that a 22 mag should not be used for coyotes.That's a shame because I have a 65 yard one holer 22 mag bolt rifle.

MCgunner
January 23, 2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know why not! It's got enough if you have the ability with it. I'd use it to 100 yards, personally. I have a 597 Remington that shoots 1.5 MOA easily at 100 yards, plenty accurate enough and it's flat shoting, too. I think the Hornet would be pretty much ideal to 100 yards, but the WMR could do the job. JMHO, though. I've shot dogs, not coyotes, but marauding, chicken killing feral dogs with the .22LR to 50 yards and they went down pretty danged quick. I don't know why the magnum at 100 yards would be any different.

Personally, if I were pelt hunting, I'd try the WMR. Now, if all you wanna do is kill the thing, pelt damage isn't a problem and a center fire .22 like a .223 with a varmint bullet will certainly get the job done a lot farther out than 100 yards. If it were ME, I'd handload that .223 down a bit closer to Hornet ballistics and live happy with that caliber in that application, but then I handload and that gives me lots of options.

If you enjoyed reading about "what round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!