People who don't shoot just don't understand...

PDA

Dilettante
September 29, 2003, 03:13 AM
how much fun it is.

I'm speaking as a new shooter. I had no idea. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "People who don't shoot just don't understand..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BluesBear
September 29, 2003, 03:36 AM
Amen to that.

That's why it's up to us to stock up on ammo and take some sheep out to the range.
Show them how much more fun it is to be a sheepdog!

I just ask them, "Remember how much you loved celebrating the 4th of July with fireworks as a kid?? Things that go boon are fun and you're gonna love this. We can celebrate being Americans EVERY DAY this way!"

Mark Tyson
September 29, 2003, 09:31 AM
You see? We always concentrate on the right to bear arms from a political standpoint, or as a last resort against a tyrannical government, or from a self defense angle. We don't mention enough that guns and shooting are enjoyable in and of themselves, and for that reason the right to arms ought to be protected. Founding fathers like George Washington wrote about how one loves arms. Owning weapons gives people pleasure - there's those who fantasize about military heroism or hunting prowess. Weapons reach something deep inside the soul of man, just like music, art or literature. People love guns because they can get in touch with a primitive, atavistic side of themselves. They love guns for the same reason that people go hunting, camping, sky diving, rock climbing or white water rafting.

Baba Louie
September 29, 2003, 09:43 AM
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson

Fun AND challenging. Physics in action. Be it punching holes in paper on a windy day or watching clay pigeons turn to dust. Why do little kids like throwing rocks or popping off firecrackers? It fulfills some ancient need waaaaaay back in the neanderthal recesses of their minds.

Solving problems mentally.

And it could come in handy someday. :uhoh:

Adios

hillbilly
September 29, 2003, 09:46 AM
Take Non-Shooters SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!

Don't argue logic or politics or history.

Take people to the range and give them a safety briefing, put a .22 pistol in their hands, and point them at a target.

hillbilly

Bravo11
September 29, 2003, 10:05 AM
A bunch of us from the office are going to the range today.
Just to SHOOT FOR FUN.

TrapperReady
September 29, 2003, 10:56 AM
Fully agree. My wife's father was pretty neutral about firearms, and I think he thought we were a little "off" based on the amount of trap and SC we shoot.

Then we took him out for an afternoon of sporting clays.

He did very well and it entirely changed his viewpoint.

BTW, I'm a firm believer that the best thing to introduce a newbie to shooting is a shotgun with clay targets. Get some light target loads and watch their eyes light up when they see orange powder burst across the sky.

It's also a great opportunity to stress safety (over and over and over), which goes a long way toward making people realize that shooters aren't just a bunch of yahoos (you know, like what they see on the news and from Hollywood).

If you enjoyed reading about "People who don't shoot just don't understand..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!