Is it legal to open carry in your state?

PDA

ACBMWM3
January 24, 2009, 05:16 PM
I get asked a lot if it’s legal to open carry in Washington state, obviously people don’t know the laws so I think it’s probably the same all over the place.
Please post your local state laws on open carry here.

Washington - open carry is not illegal, there is no law that says it is or isn’t, because of that if you do open carry you may still attract more attention then you bargained for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal to open carry in your state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
indoorsoccerfrea
January 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
Indiana: open carry/concealed carry are legal. the permit to carry is simply called a "handgun permit", and does not specify which. of course my chief of police suggested it may cause 'distractions' to others if i open carry, but that it was my perogative

Coyote Hunter
January 24, 2009, 05:26 PM
Open carry is legal here in Kentucky. CCW is permit required. Some areas are more receptive to open carry than other, more CIVILIZED, areas. (I say this with a smile) :)

I'd like to hear from Arizona or New Mexico. I have some friends on the boards that would have me to believe EVERYONE outside of the major cities are OCing. I think their eyes are turning brown. :scrutiny:

kurtmax
January 24, 2009, 05:29 PM
Opencarry.org has an up-to-date list of all the states.

Alabama - Open carry (on foot) legal w/o permit. You need a permit to carry concealed and to carry in a vehicle at all.

Complete state preemption of handgun carry restrictions. Localities can only regulate discharge.

MIgunguy
January 24, 2009, 05:31 PM
Michigan: OC legal (but not while you're driving, go figure). But not recommended in some localities (we're not exactly Wyoming in that regard).

shotgunjoel
January 24, 2009, 05:31 PM
Here in Illinois, the land of midwest gun control, techicly allows OC in "rural areas." Whatever that includes, does that mean in little country towns, or out in the woods with no one to see you? This is all the carry thats allowed here, unless of course you are a criminal and dont pay attention to the laws.

Prophet
January 24, 2009, 05:32 PM
I'm in Pennsylvania. Open carry is legal without a permit at 18, concealed carry (anywhere inside your vehicle is considered concealed) is legal with a permit at 21. People would likely not be so fussy about OC if more people did it. A right unused is a right lost. Some people may not mind losing that right because they have a concealed carry permit, but if we do lose that right then folks between the ages of 18-21 will not have a choice on whether to carry a gun for protection or not. Not to mention that it would be further infringement on our right to keep and bear arms as a whole, which is something we cannot afford.

Sorry, mini-rant. :)

fairfax1
January 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
Virginia. Open carry is legal without a permit at 18, concealed carry is legal with a permit at 21.

Open Carry is required in any place that serves alcohol even if you have a ccw permit.

texas bulldog
January 24, 2009, 05:42 PM
texas. illegal for handguns. in theory, you could walk down the street with a rifle or shotgun, but i wouldn't recommend it in an 'enlightened' urban area.

Ridgerunner665
January 24, 2009, 05:44 PM
Its legal in Tennessee...permit required.

Kleanbore
January 24, 2009, 06:03 PM
Along with 5 other states,(AR,NY,OK,SC and TX)OC is not legal in Florida.

Nor is it legal in many counties in MO. There is no central database.

Treo
January 24, 2009, 06:32 PM
Colorado OC is legal PRD outlaws it

CC in your home, on your property, at your place of business or in your car W/O permit

rickomatic
January 24, 2009, 06:52 PM
Washington - open carry is not illegal, there is no law that says it is or isnít, because of that if you do open carry you may still attract more attention then you bargained for.

And, depending on how that "attention" goes down, you could end up with a shiney new car, or house. From readings on opencarry.org most of those encounters turn in to "teachable" moments for the uninformed, whether they are wearing badges or not.

Old Fuff
January 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
Arizona: Open carry is legal, and protected by state preemption. One can open carry in a car without any permit. Further, those between the age of 18 and 21 can also open carry. Concealed weapons permits are restricted to those 21 or older. Non-residents 21 or older can obtain a CCW Arizona license. Gun registration is prohibited by law.

We have worked very hard, and are justifiably proud of our "F" rating from the Brady Bunch. :evil:

metallic
January 24, 2009, 07:15 PM
Legal in Louisiana, although not recommended in a lot of places.

ArmedBear
January 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Fuff, but can you legally carry in a bar?:D

Idaho allows OC on your person or in your vehicle, essentially everywhere with state jurisdiction except state parks where hunting isn't allowed -- though I am unclear about what "plainly visible" in a vehicle means.

503glock
January 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
yes oregon has a conceled permit and is an open carry state but 5 citys have laws aginst open carry . but we are a shall issue state .

ArmedBear
January 24, 2009, 07:44 PM
What 5 cities?

Travis Bickle
January 24, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'd like to hear from Arizona or New Mexico. I have some friends on the boards that would have me to believe EVERYONE outside of the major cities are OCing.

I've lived in Arizona since 1977. OCing isn't nearly as common as it used to be before the state started issuing permits to CC, but you still see it from time to time, even in the big cities. I live in a large metropolitan area and occasionally OC myself and have never had one iota of hassle.

503glock
January 24, 2009, 07:56 PM
Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans , but this not effect permit holders

Old Fuff
January 24, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Fuff, but can you legally carry in a bar?

Don't know, and don't care. I stay out of such places. A peaceful fellow such as myself might get himself shot - with or without cause... :evil: :D

Besides, up there where you are its been known to snow...

503glock
January 24, 2009, 07:58 PM
i know it is just one web site but it was one i used to look at for info on other states open carry and permit info look what happend to it..http://www.concealcarry.org/

503glock
January 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
oh you can find every states info here http://www.carryconcealed.net/
sorry for to many posts in a row

swiftak
January 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
NH is a shall issue state. Open carry is legal without a permit.

ACBMWM3
January 24, 2009, 11:19 PM
rickomatic, you are right, I have a friend who was open carrying and was arrested even though he had is CCL taken to the station and booked, he then sued the country Sheriff and won $150,000 settlement :D

wep45
January 25, 2009, 12:13 AM
illinois........we cant carry here.......in some cities you cant own a hand gun

polekitty
January 25, 2009, 12:24 AM
Kentucky allow open carry, legally. Also, a loaded gun can be carried in the "factory installed glove box" in the car without a license--if you are a Kentucky redsident. But, since passing the CCDW law they recommend (strongly suggest) no open carry, it rattles the natives.

Ben86
January 25, 2009, 02:34 AM
Open carry is allowed in my home state of Mississippi. However, from what I have heard, the way the law is worded a holster is considered partial concealment. So you need a CCW permit to open carry. I find that nonsensical.

I'm not interested in open carry unless I'm hunting or walking to a shooting range anyway. It just seems like it would attract unwanted attention.

Mainsail
January 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
Washington - open carry is not illegal, there is no law that says it is or isnít, because of that if you do open carry you may still attract more attention then you bargained for.
You've combined fact and opinion in one long sentence. Upon what do you base your opinion that you ďmay still attract more attention than (not then) you bargained forĒ? Do you open carry very often?

MD_Willington
January 25, 2009, 10:32 AM
ACBMWM3, I'm in E. WA, while it is not that bad, as most of us are rural, we still get the :scrutiny: look...

Mainly if we're heading out into the middle of no where, yep, some farms we go to are "way out there", we do carry openly.

You wouldn't believe how many weird people you find out on private property.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal to open carry in your state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!